• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Well, it seems that no matter which distro of Linux I try, I cannot get it to work properly on my computer. The dual monitor setup in Linux is terrible, I can't get a proper network connection over wifi, and it does not play nice with UEFI at all.

Years
  • <p></p><p>Have you tried Ubuntu or Mint yet? I've had success with both on dual screen setups.</p><p>

</p>
    Yep.

The problem is that my primary monitor is on my right, and not left. When I change it in settings, the cursor works but all the windows and bar at the top go all wonky.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Say, what's the latest and greatest in the smartphone market?

I've been rather satisfied with my phone so I have been paying 0 attention to devices for the last few years (year? Idk how long it's been...) but am looking into upgrading sometime in the near future.

From my quick research, the LG v30 and Note 8 seem to be some of the best available right now, but what are you people'ses thoughts on them, or others?

Arsenic

Years
  • Luckily I'm not too worried about price, as I'm hitched on a govt plan so I get good dealz.

Not too interested in the iPhone either.

Haven't heard of the other two phones so I'm going to look them up!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    This new laptop is way better and faster than that junk computer I had. Has a fingerprint scanner too!!

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • This new laptop is way better and faster than that junk computer I had. Has a fingerprint scanner too!!

The fingerprint scanner is really cool! Wish I had that on my phone to be honest. :(

Also I discovered that I was due an upgrade of my internet fiber, so I requested an upgrade from 50 to 100 mbps for free! It should arrive tomorrow. yay

Years
  • i feel like such a pleb having only 50 Mbps.

I mean, that's all I really need anyway; I don't do any heavy gaming or anything of that nature, so going any higher seems rather unnecessary.

Raffy98

Years
  • i feel like such a pleb having only 50 Mbps.

I mean, that's all I really need anyway; I don't do any heavy gaming or anything of that nature, so going any higher seems rather unnecessary.

Don't worry, I survived for years with 1 to 4 mbps at best and I'm still alive lol. If you consider that at the beginning of this year I could access the internet with a radio antenna and with only 4 mbps in download and 256 kbps in upload, that's a big change for good.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Just last year I was upgraded to 60MB p/s. Makes downloading games on the XBOX One a breeze.

Years
  • I think once I get a PS4 and a Switch I might upgrade to faster internet speeds, but I think even then 50 Mbps would suffice for the most part.

TY

I have 40 down and 8 up... never had any issues though... but seeing everyone else in college have like 400 makes me wonder

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I don't even know what my upload speeds are. Probably sub 10.

TY

Sister's PC parts came in today except the GPU and the SSD... Probably the first time im building a PC from scratch and having to apply thermal paste... this can't possibly go wrong right? :P

Raffy98

Years
  • Sister's PC parts came in today except the GPU and the SSD... Probably the first time im building a PC from scratch and having to apply thermal paste... this can't possibly go wrong right? :P

Nah, building a PC is pretty simple and as long as you carefully handle the components while installing them everything should go fine.
    As for the thermal paste I recommend you the rice method, apply a small dot in the middle of the heat spreader of the CPU and when placing the heatsink on top it's gonna spread evenly as shown in this image:

Spoiler:

Arsenic

Years
  • I agree with Raff, it's actually pretty simple... I mean most stuff only fits in one spot anyways.

Though unlike the Raff-meister I was always taught to apply a thin but even layer of paste over the whole top. Then again that might just be the Military way as my teacher operated systems in the field during Desert Storm so idk. It's worked well enough for me!

Years
  • I recommend at least a pea-sized dot in the exact center with thermal paste, as when you lie the cooler on top of the CPU, it will spread evenly and not make a mess at all.

Here's an example on how NOT to apply thermal paste:

Spoiler:

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I've had a windows 10 box for a little while now, it's just a slim laptop. I noticed it right from the start going slow, and one day I got curious why. So I looked at the C drive's information, it's little 29 gb were almost full. So I uninstalled a bunch of crap, but mind you, I had only used it a handful of times. I got it down to about 24gb, but I still don't understand how it can be so full when I've barely done anything with it.

wtf is clogging that muk? :X

TY

Yea the only issue I would face is the thermalpaste, the rest is doable for me. Thanks for the help! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back