• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: DCC: Hail Frank Ocean

Spiff

love child
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    does anyone have any cool movie suggestions for me? I'm at a point in my life were I need some entertainment damn it. I don't know too much about movies but I really like dramas and poignant stuff like that. I just watched into the wild and goodwill hunting which I thoroughly enjoyed, if that helps

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • does anyone have any cool movie suggestions for me? I'm at a point in my life were I need some entertainment damn it. I don't know too much about movies but I really like dramas and poignant stuff like that. I just watched into the wild and goodwill hunting which I thoroughly enjoyed, if that helps
    if you liked good will hunting, look into drugstore cowboy & my own private idaho. they're both directed by gus van sant as well and I prefer both of 'em to good will hunting, although I still do quite enjoy good will hunting.

Years
  • does anyone have any cool movie suggestions for me? I'm at a point in my life were I need some entertainment damn it. I don't know too much about movies but I really like dramas and poignant stuff like that. I just watched into the wild and goodwill hunting which I thoroughly enjoyed, if that helps

Maybe try Dead Poets Society? It's pretty good and also has Robin Williams in it.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    does anyone have any cool movie suggestions for me? I'm at a point in my life were I need some entertainment damn it. I don't know too much about movies but I really like dramas and poignant stuff like that. I just watched into the wild and goodwill hunting which I thoroughly enjoyed, if that helps

a beautiful mind, steel magnolias, mr holland's opus, the elephant man, billy elliot, little miss sunshine, la strada, bicycle thieves and all about my mother are good starts

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • a beautiful mind, steel magnolias, mr holland's opus, the elephant man, billy elliot, little miss sunshine, la strada, bicycle thieves and all about my mother are good starts
    okay. let's start a fuckin' dialogue. do you like A Beautiful Mind? because I saw about half of it in my psych class and thought it was really bad.

Years
  • The line between beautiful/poignant/touching and lame/boring/sappy is pretty fine. I think it's a matter of personal taste, usually. Like the movie Good Bye, Lenin is meant to be one of those "life is beautiful" movies but for me it was just a little silly and I didn't really invest in it emotionally whereas the people I was watching it with did.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    okay. let's start a fuckin' dialogue. do you like A Beautiful Mind? because I saw about half of it in my psych class and thought it was really bad.

gotta wonder if the fact that you were watching it in psych class meant you were expecting it to be a deeper analysis than it was + the fact that jennifer connelly won an oscar for it meant it was given more praise over the years than it deserved

i think it's a good film for what it is - an emotional dramatisation with subject matter not commonly treated by hollywood with much care. jennifer connelly had no business being in that movie, let alone getting the oscar, but i think russell crowe did his job and that's what i liked. the difference between poignancy and sappiness is all too fine and is really just a matter of personal taste.

it's not a movie i'd typically recommend since i've only watched it once and don't think it's something that needs to be watched more than once, but it's a good example of an emotional drama, which was the question.

Years
  • I'm going to start reading Ready Player One with a few friends. I'm told that I need to have watched Blade Runner and WarGames to "get" the book. I've seen Blade Runner recently, but WarGames I saw a long time ago and don't really remember. If anyone knows, do I need to rewatch it? Is there any other 80s movie I should watch?

Years
  • Yeah, I've read a few chapters and it looks like so far it's all just a bunch of references without much significance. I mean, it could change, but whatever, it seems like it'll be a quick read in any case.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I don't remember exactly what the song is called / what anime it is, but there's one good song by a band called The Pillows that was introduced to me from a friend who'd seen the anime. does that count. it's a good track, whatever it is. if I remember what it was called I'll update this.

Years
  • Anything that has had Yoko Kanno's influence is probably going to be good. There's Arai Akino's VOICES from Marcross Plus. Also, from the 90s, from Rurouni Kenshin, one of the ending songs called "It's Gonna Rain" by Bonnie Pink. Unfortunately all the decent version of it have been removed from youtube.

Just Communication - Gundam Wing

Rhythm Emotion > Just Communication though.

I don't remember exactly what the song is called / what anime it is, but there's one good song by a band called The Pillows that was introduced to me from a friend who'd seen the anime. does that count. it's a good track, whatever it is. if I remember what it was called I'll update this.
    That's gotta be Gainax's FLCL.

There are a lot of Pillows songs in that though so it could be something different.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    I really enjoy Core Pride by Uverworld (Blue Excorcist's OP). It's just a great track IMO, nothing more to it. I'm in the middle of watching FLCL right now, and I like its soundtrack as well, it really matches the aesthetic of the show. Same with DRRR's OP.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    is GoT really as Amazing and Engaging and Cool as everyone says
    is it worth checking out sometime later in the year (as I am not getting into it right now)

Years
  • is GoT really as Amazing and Engaging and Cool as everyone says
    is it worth checking out sometime later in the year (as I am not getting into it right now)
    Meh. As a Book Snob™ I'm kind of biased, but I think the writing has steadily gone down hill as they started to focus less on character development and consistent plotting and more on "epic" and "shocking" moments. Like, it's still pretty enjoyable for what it is, but don't expect to be blown away by amazing writing and be prepared for some very... problematic scenes.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • is GoT really as Amazing and Engaging and Cool as everyone says

ok well as far as the show is concerned

I binged the first season in a night, it was that addicting. then I started season two and got (I think) four episodes in before taking a break and I haven't watched it since, and this was last summer.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I just learned that Match Game is coming back and I couldn't be more excited.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    I just learned that Match Game is coming back and I couldn't be more excited.

I really love game shows TBH. Family Feud is a god tier show for my family to watch at gatherings. I'll definitely be watching.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Start every weekday morning with The Price Is Right.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    i'm giving up on frank ocean tbh.

also why doesn't this dcc have the cute dcc button in front of it?

Back