• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Deeds of Darkness

Bay

Years
BANG!

The sound of a gunshot rang in Sadie's ears, making her jump with surprise. Instinctively, her eyes darted from left to right, but she could see no change in her surroundings.

"What was that?" her friend exclaimed, eyes widening.

"It sounded like a gun... I told you someone was here!" Sadie shrieked. Then, in a much lower tone, she added, "We have to get back inside... what if there's a mass murderer out there or something?"
In this part the mentions of gunshot sounded repetitive. Maybe get rid of "sound of a gunshot" and put "noise." That's just me, though.

I have to say, I thought you did well with the dream. Very dark and creepy images there. As for the ending…I'm a bit confused. Did Lisa use a gun, then? If so, she's cool now. XD

Dalton's scene not much action or development going on, though it's pretty interesting we know a little bit more about the Lunar Wing, or at least it's working. :P

In short, the second part you did the suspense quite well with the dream and the ending. Can't wait for next chapter!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
No, Lisa didn't use a gun :P I have no idea what LeSabre would say if she did, lol.
You'll find out who used the gun in the next chapter, and why...

It's really weird, since most of my chapters start all happy and carefree and end with suspense and terror. I have the first two pages of the next chapter done. Expect it sometime this weekend. Thanks for stopping by!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Egads! Sory this oen took me so long. I was pelted with homework for most of the week, and I barely found any time to write. Hopefully no one's ditched me :P
CHAPTER 9
"Sadie, Rena!" Lisa cried, and broke into a sprint. When they met on the other side of the fence, she was still gasping for breath.

"What – are you guys – doing – here?" she breathed. "And did you hear that shot?"

"Yeah!" Rena exclaimed. "This is so weird! I mean, first Sadie wakes me up in the middle of the night because she's hearing strange noises, then we hear a noise -"

"Wait." Rena seemed to be getting started in a riveting tale, but Lisa held up her hand slowly. "What kind of noise did you guys hear? What did it sound like?"

"Uh... it was sort of like... eeeeeeeep, only it was a lot deeper than that." Sadie mimicked the note as best as she could. A flash of recognition appeared in Lisa's eyes.

"That's exactly the noise I heard! My Quality Inn isn't too far from here, and I heard the exact same thing! I couldn't sleep for some reason, and then I heard the noise. So I went outside to check it out."

"There was a second noise, though," Rena cut in. "It sounded like someone scraping their nails against a chalkboard."

"Yeah, that one too! I heard it while I was walking down the street, and by that time I was really scared! I started to turn back in the direction of the hotel, and along the way, I saw you two."
The conversation eventually simmered down to a silence. Lisa's presence added an air of calm to the situation, but nevertheless, Sadie could not keep from stealing a quick glance around. Beyond the trees and buildings, she had an awful feeling that they were not alone.

Finally she asked, "What should we do now?"

Lisa shrugged. "I guess there's really nothing else to see here. We should go back inside."

"Still, what if there's a gunman here? Shouldn't we let someone know?"

"Sadie, I really don't care what's out here anymore. It's much safer inside anyway," Rena said, turning for the door.

Sadie was about to do the same, when something in the corner of her eye made her stop cold. Somewhere within the shadows, she saw a flash of red.

"Whoa whoa whoa, what was that?" she said aloud, immediately rushing back to the fence. When she turned the light was gone, the streets empty.

"What? What did you see?" Rena groaned, approaching the fence.

"There was something red... off in the distance..."

"Ugh. Where?"

"There!" Sadie pointed. She was still staring at that same spot, a larger-than-normal gap in between two office buildings. Beyond that was a large cluster of trees, where two red dots were once again visible amongst the shadows.

Upon her indication, Rena squinted and leaned forward. She turned back with a snort.

"Well? Open the door." Rena eyed Sadie expectantly.

It took a few seconds for the message to sink in. Sadie's eyes widened. "Rena, no! I am not leaving this Pokémon Center! That's like walking right into our deaths! Rena, we can't! What if... what if it's something dangerous? Really Rena, think!"

Rena shook her head. "It's okay. I slipped a couple of pokéballs into my pocket. We'll be fine."

Rena pushed her way through the gate, her grip painfully tight on Sadie's arm. She closed the gate behind them, and turned to Lisa. She had been standing by the fence the whole time, her arms folded across her chest.

"Are you coming or what?" she called.

After a few silent moments, Lisa nodded. "But I'm sending my Weezing out just in case." She began to rummage through her purse until she pulled out a pokéball. The container opened, revealing a chunky, spherical pokémon. Black smoke emanated from its pores, saturating the air around it and making Sadie's eyes water.

"All right, I'll send out mine too." Rena lifted two pokéballs out of her pocket, and tossed each of them in turn. They opened to reveal her Buneary and her Cranidos. Both pokémon staggered lazily, evidently annoyed that they had been aroused.

"Let's go. The sooner we get to the bottom of this, the sooner we can get back to sleep." With that, Rena skipped forward.

Aside from the crunch of their footsteps, the town was silent. The streets were illuminated with circles of orange light, the rest being left in the shadows. Nevertheless, there was a definite confidence in Lisa's step. The pokémon huddled by her side, grunting and squealing to each other. Rena remained at least five paces ahead of the group, swinging her arms actively.

As they walked, Sadie found herself staring up at the sky, to the point where the city skyline was well out of view. Up above was a black veil. New moon. No stars. Sadie was the only one who was shaking.

They entered the alley. The grass was more frequent here, and tickled Sadie's bare ankles as she walked. Up ahead was a large clearing that formed the boundary between city and forest. Rena took the first step, followed by Lisa, and finally Sadie. Her gaze immediately went to the circle of trees that loomed in the center of the area. From the safety of the Pokémon Center, they seemed so tiny, so innocent. Now, as they approached, Sadie felt a sense of danger. A low growl rumbled in Cranidos's throat. Buneary began to shift its position, her large ears perking at a sound Sadie could not hear.

"Maybe... maybe we should go back..." she whispered, pressing her fingertips to her lips. Her hands were ice cold. The trees surrounded her in a wide arc, closing off all means of escape.

Rena did not respond, her gaze locked on the patch of trees. Over the steady whistle of the wind, Sadie could make out a low rumble.

"What is that?" Lisa hissed, instantly drawing closer to her Weezing. Her body had begun to shake as well.

"It's the noise again..." Rena said. Her tone was surprisingly calm.

The wind began to howl. The branches writhed and twisted, until they opened wide enough to give them a view of what lay within. Sadie could see the beginnings of a large, angular silhouette perched somewhere within their depths. She traced the contours of a large arm, neck, back, and sloping tail. Sadie stiffened. The creature was almost as large as the tree itself.

A wide, purple head slowly separated itself from the shadows, to look at them with a pair of angled eyes. A bloody red hue spilled out from where the whites should have been. Sadie clamped her hands over her mouth.

In the blink of an eye, the pokémon had uncoiled itself from the tree trunk. It drew itself up to its fullest height, nearly as tall as the trees themselves. It arched its neck in a snakelike motion, and lunged forward.
Sadie jumped aside just as Drapion's jaws struck the ground. In that second, she had documented each razor-sharp point in the Drapion's mouth, the awful stench of decaying flesh that reeked from its mouth, and most of all, the pure, unadulterated hatred in its eyes. This pokémon was fighting to kill.

Sadie was scrambling to her feet just as Lisa appeared beside her.

"Weezing, use Sludge Bomb!" she cried, her voice shaking. Weezing drifted forward, and launched a jet of purple matter at the Drapion's face.

The pokémon staggered under the volume of liquid, giving them time to turn for the alley. But the Drapion regained its balance quickly, and with a single swipe of its tail, struck down a tree. A scream of despair sprang from Sadie's lips as the trunk crashed in front of her, cutting off the view of the alley.

"We're trapped! We're dead!" she yelled, throat searing with pain. Beside her, Lisa was on the verge of tears.

"No!" Rena groaned, throwing her arms into the air. "No! We're not gonna die here! Who does that Drapion think he is anyway? I'll tell you what! I'm gonna kick his ass! Cranidos, Buneary, come on!" Without pausing to hear Sadie's protests, Rena charged towards the Drapion, her two pokémon by her side.

At her command they sprang forward, proceeding to circle the Drapion's feet in a blur of color. At first the Drapion was unaffected, but it was soon swallowed in a whirlpool of dirt, grass, and leaves. Sadie watched all the while, her back pressed against the tree.

"Brilliant..." Lisa muttered, almost inaudibly. Squaring her shoulders, the teen stepped forward.

"All right Weezing, let's help them out! Use Sludge Bomb!"

A jet of purple sludge shot from Weezing's open mouth to meet the Drapion full in the face. The pokémon staggered, but regained its balance. With a single screech, it sent a twisting Shadow Ball hurling towards Weezing.

"Watch out!" Sadie called, almost by impulse. But her warning was not needed, for Weezing had dodged the attack with perfect form. It sent another stream of mucus for the Drapion's face.

Lisa emitted a triumphant yell when the Drapion staggered. The effort Rena's pokémon were making was just enough to send the Drapion spinning. Its neck twisted and craned over to the land below as it tried to locate its target. Sadie caught a glimpse of Rena, watching her pokémon from the sidelines. She was staring up at the Drapion intently, as if trying to decipher a difficult problem. Her arms hung loose at her sides.
The dust cloud began to settle as Cranidos and Buneary slowed. Their punches and kicks grew less frequent, and soon stopped altogether. They were reduced to the point of mindless, ceaseless jogging. Their defenses were low, and their breathing was labored. With a single swipe of its armored tail, the Drapion struck them upon the ground, where they lay twitching and convulsing. A jolt of pain, and Sadie realized she had been biting her lip through the entire time.

"We can't let it win!" Lisa said. "Weezing, use smokescreen to block that Drapion's vision!"

"Weez Weez!" the chunky pokémon huffed in approval. Sadie watched as a cloud of black smoke spewed from Weezing's pores, invading the air around them. Sadie's surroundings were entirely obscured by smoke, though the sounds were as clear as ever. Her coughs were drowned out by the Drapion's agonized wails, and Weezing's deep bellows. The volume was so great that Sadie found herself on her knees, palms pressed against the sides of her throbbing head. Hot tears streamed from her eyes, and her tongue was dry and sticky in her mouth.
And just like that, it stopped.

The screams had vanished without warning, as had the sounds of attacks and roaring wind. The ringing silence was all that remained; that cold, dreadful silence that follows a bloody battle. Sadie slowly opened her eyes.

Without warning, she felt a body collide with hers. Sadie fell on her side, stomach paining and head spinning. A few feet away, Sadie saw the silhouette of the Drapion's tail, which had missed her by a few feet.
Beside her, Lisa's outline was barely visible. Slowly, she raised a finger to her lips. For a few terrible, silent moments, they sat against the tree. The Drapion's form became visible occasionally, accompanied by the rustle of grass and foliage.

It's only a matter of time before it finds us... The very thought made her shiver. Would it hurt to die?

The Drapion's footsteps grew softer over time. Its form faded off into the distance. All of a sudden, Sadie heard a piercing screech.

BANG!

The familiar sound seared through the silence, drowning out the Drapion's screams. Someone had fired a gun. The shot was followed by a groan and snapping wood. And then, silence.

Sadie risked a whisper. "What the hell just happened?" Beside her, Lisa shrugged.

They slowly rose to their feet. Sadie's heart was thumping furiously, to the point where it almost hurt.

"Who's there?" said a voice. It was definitely male.

"W-we're right here!" Sadie called out, her voice hoarse. There was no answer, but a rush of heavy footsteps. Out of the haze, a rough outline of a person was nearing them. The form became clearer and clearer until Sadie locked eyes with a tall man, looking to be in his late twenties. He wore a soldier's uniform, which stained from hours in the dirt. A beat-up rifle was clutched in his hands.

"Who are you?" Lisa asked.

"My name is Dalton Rogers," the man said. "I stay at the Pokémon Center not too far from here. I heard a noise, and came out to see this huge Drapion lurking around the edges of town. I missed it with my gun though, and it escaped. I hunted it for a few minutes, and it led me here. And the next thing I know, I enter this meadow and see you two being mauled."

"Wait." Sadie said slowly. "You said two. There were three of us. Me, Lisa, and Rena."

Dalton raised an eyebrow in confusion. "I only saw you two. And a Weezing."

"But where's Rena?" Sadie said, taking a quick glance around. "And Cranidos? Buneary?"

"I don't know..." Lisa said. Sadie scanned the area. The grass was flattened from where the two pokémon had ran, and there were two distinct skid marks where she guessed they had fallen. yet, there was no sign of them anywhere.

"Oh my God! Sadie!" She jerked at Lisa's sudden outburst. Sadie turned to see Lisa standing before a particular spot in the meadow, not too far from the Drapion's body. One arm was pointing to a spot on the ground, and the other was clamped over her mouth. Sadie hurried to her side and saw a trail of footsteps in the dirt. She recognized the shoe mark at once - Rena's favorite pair of sneakers, which she had received for her birthday a few months ago. The trail continued to the edge of the meadow, where it was unexpectedly cut off.

"Rena's... Rena's... gone..." the words felt strange on her tongue. Their weight was let down upon her slowly, gradually. The first tears began to fall.

"Who is Rena?" there was a trace of impatience in Dalton's voice. "What happened to her?"

"She disappeared!" Sadie blurted. "She was running towards the Drapion with her pokémon, and there was so much smoke from Weezing's attack that I... that I couldn't see what was happening! And she's gone!"

"Sadie... calm down. I don't think Rena's dead. If she was, then there would be a body, right?" Lisa's voice was quiet, reassuring. "She probably went deeper into the forest to hide. The worst that could have happened was that she got lost. We'll go to the police station first thing tomorrow and look for her, okay?"

Through her tears, Sadie saw Lisa's face, contorted to show her sympathy.

The words of Rena echoed through Sadie's mind. It had been nearly three years since she had spoken them, yet their truth had a lasting effect upon her mind. She could almost picture her friend's scowling face as she said 'Sadie, you're so dramatic! Can't you just think before you yell like that?' Sadie felt a wave of shame.

"All right..." she sniffed loudly.

"Listen... if there's anything I can do, I'll do it. I'll help you find your friend if you want," Dalton said. Sadie nodded in thanks.

They stood in silence for a moment. Without thinking, Sadie turned to look at the Drapion. Slowly she approached it, listening to the disturbance made by her every step. The grass around the area was entirely flattened from where Cranidos and Buneary had ran. Their blows had left a number of scars and bruises on its legs. Dark blood seeped through several bullet wounds in its abdomen, which Sadie guessed must have killed it. Sadie continued along its length, her eyes sweeping over the heavy damage the pokémon had taken. Its chest was sandwiched in between two fallen trees, partially crushed by the weight. Blood oozed down its arms. Despite its obvious evil intentions, she could not help but feel pity for the Drapion.

Lisa and Dalton joined her in the silent inspection. No one uttered a single word, whether it was from fear or amazement. All of a sudden, Lisa emitted a gasp.

"Look!"

Sadie turned just in time to see a murky black cloud evaporating from the Drapion's head. The entity passed through the tree leaves and branches, and eventually vanished somewhere in the sky. At that moment, Sadie felt a great weight lifted from her shoulders. Deep inside her mind, she felt something shift.

"What is that?" she whispered.

"It looked like steam!" Lisa exclaimed.

Dalton remained silent. He stared at the Drapion's face for several long moments.

"Something's not right," he said. "I saw a Starly with the exact same eye color a few days ago..."

"Really?" Sadie said, her eyes widening. "How is that possible?"

"I don't know. But there's something weird going on here. I'm getting the feeling that this attack wasn't an accident."

"How do you know?"

"Just a feeling. I've been having this feeling for quite a while now. Look, I can help you find your friend. But I need your help too."

Dalton slowly reached into his pocket and pulled out a mysterious, shining object. It was paper thin, and was molded into a crescent shape.

"What is that?" Lisa said.

"I haven't told you this yet, but I'm a soldier for the Sinnoh Armed Forces. My squad was ambushed by Darkrai in Route 203, and I'm the only survivor. I woke up in the hospital to find this in my pocket. It's called the Lunar Wing. And there's been an awful lot of strange things happening since I got it. I saw a red-eyed Starly near the hospital window, and now I see this red-eyed Drapion. It's weird. But I want to get to the bottom of this."

"You mean that there might be more of these ravenous red-eyes monsters out there?" Sadie asked, her voice rising.
Dalton nodded.

"Then we need to do something about it! We can't just let another mauling happen!" Lisa said. "I for one want to get to the root of this. There has to be some scientific explanation for those... things..."
"Well, I guess it sounds like a plan... only wait," Dalton paused. "Where's your family?"

"Mine's in another region," Lisa declared.

"My mom's in the hospital..." was all Sadie could say.

Dalton sighed. "Great. A couple of orphans. You're lucky I'm over eighteen. Anyways, like I said before, I'm staying at the Pokémon Center. You do whatever you want, but we'll meet in front of the building at nine o'clock. Deal?"

"Deal," the girls said simultaneously.
When Sadie reached her room in the Pokémon Center, she found it exactly the same as she had left it. Rena's blanket was still on the floor from when she had tossed it off, and her things were untouched. The alarm clock was slightly askew from when Sadie had reached out to check the time. Her backpack was in its usual spot beside her bed. She bent down beside it and took out her pokéballs, lost in thought.

If I had my pokémon with me... would things have been different? Would I have been any help?

The silence was deafening. After a quick shower, Sadie pulled the covers over her body. She closed her eyes, wishing she had never opened them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Ah, the attacking red-eyed Drapion. I have to say that you did a much better job of handling it this time around. The way you build the suspense as the girls see something strange and creepy in the night, how Sadie's fears build as they look for the unknown entity, and then, as Drapion reveals itself as an unusually vicious creature out for blood. Very well done.

Rena's disappearance is more mysterious too... A cloud of smoke, and when it clears, both her and her Pokemon are gone... And in typical Rea fashion she races headlong into the fray right before it happens XD

There is definitely some connection between the Lunar Wing and those creepy, red-eyed Pokemon. (Yeah, I know what it is already, but I'm not gonna spoil it)

Just one issue (and I apologize for not picking it up during proofreading) :
"Weezing, use Sludge Bomb!" she cried, her voice shaking. Weezing drifted forward, and launched a jet of purple matter at the Drapion's face.
Poison Attacks against Dark/Poison Drapion = not very effective. Weezing also has Fire Blast as an attack. And it's a female :)

Other than that, very good job on a very suspenseful and creepy (in a good way) chapter. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Sadie, Lisa, and Dalton as they prepare to depart to investigate this matter :)

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
It's chapters like these that make me thankful that I did a rewrite :P This one was, for some reason, hard for me to write. I rewrote Drapion's appearance three times. But, I'm happy with the final draft, and I'm glad you are too!

And thanks for not spoiling the connection. Haha.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Sorry for the painfully long wait. During these past few weeks, I've sort of rekindles my interest in this fic. I've been busy with school, projects, and life in general. But the school year is almost over, so I'll have more time to write.

Onto the chapter!

Chapter 10

Just outside of Snowpoint City, nestled deep in the forest of Route 217, is a snowy clearing known as the Acuity Lakefront. The actual lake is rather small, spanning only a few hundred meters. Its surface reflects that of the sky above - white and bleak. The quiet location is made famous by the building that stands at its head, what is referred to as Sinnoh's northernmost point. Through a cloak of trees, one would see the tip of a domed ceiling, followed by several standing pillars and a tall, wrought-iron fence. The building is cloaked with an everpresent layer of snow that hides the beautiful architecture underneath. To the locals, it is known as the Snow Cottage. To everyone else, it is simply the president's mansion.

The conference room is located in the very back of the building, guarded by soundproof walls and a fingerprint scanner. The room itself is modern and spacious, with walls lined with bookshelves and a snack table in the corner. A long glass table takes up most of the center, surrounded by twenty identical chairs. The seat at the head of the table is reserved for the president himself. Though it appears similar to the rest of the chairs in the room, this one is stuffed with memory foam and an extra layer of padding, for those hard days when one's head feels heavy on his shoulders. The morning of July 19th was one of those days for Dr. Berry.

It had begun, just like any other, with a hunt through his wardrobe for a comfortable suit. Dr. Berry finally settled on his favorite - a smooth black coat, with a stark white polo shirt and a solid color tie. After getting dressed, he would make his way to his personal kitchen, where he would quickly prepare a bowl of cereal and an apple. Then, with his cup of coffee in hand, he would go down to his office, and answer phone call bombardments from several political groups asking for his opinion on 'pressing issues'. Dr. Berry simply referred to them as 'spam'; nothing a personalized recording couldn't solve. Later, he would meet with his personal advisor to find out what would await him that day.

"Sir, you have an important meeting with several governors of Sinnoh, along with the navy and military generals. They will arrive at the conference room at precisely 11:20 A.M to discuss recent events," the man had said, reading off from a large planner.

Thus his headache.

Dr. Berry made it a personal policy to appear as a stoic - to not show any particular excitement or disdain towards any task. Yet he could not help but cringe as he continued to listen to the ramblings of the governor of Jubilife City, a particularly temperamental woman named Mrs. Stein.

"... my city is running low on water. There are protests going on in the streets, and the phone lines are overflowing with emergency calls. Three hospitals have already gone bankrupt. Jubilife cannot last another day without extra funding! Please, Dr. Berry, don't focus all your attention on Darkrai! The people should come first!" She pounded her fist on the table to show emphasis, sending a fresh wave of ripples through Dr. Berry's drink. He let the silence hover over them for a few moments before answering.

"Mrs. Stein, please calm yourself. I've already ordered the shipment of food, medical supplies, and other necessities to your city, but I'm afraid that's all we can do. If we don't take action against Darkrai now, it won't just be your city. I understand that to solve this problem, some things must be sacrificed - "

"We are talking about human lives! Hundreds of people have died already because of this storm! And you think it's perfectly acceptable to ignore that, all for the sake of stopping this insignificant pokémon?"

At this, a gasp ran through the room. The murmurs stopped, however, when a beefy, bespectacled man rose to his feet.

"Insignificant? Oh, so you think wiping out an entire military squad is insignificant?" he countered. "The most important thing to focus on right now is Darkrai. Just as Dr. Berry said, it's not just your city that is suffering. We're all taking the heat here! We should strike Darkrai while we still have something to strike it with!"

"And how exactly are we supposed to strike it, Golgorov?" the man next to him interrupted. "The damn bullets will go right through! Are we forgetting what happened in Route 203?"

There was another outbreak of chatter. Several people rose from their chairs simultaneously, each trying to upstage the other. The next few moments became a blur of white noise - shrill voices, screeching chairs, and pounding fists. Dr. Berry fought the urge to rest his head. Suddenly -

"STOP!" The sudden shout rang above all others.

Heads turned immediately to the source of the sound. The door to the conference room had been opened, and on the threshold stood a tall man with smooth purple curls. Behind his silver-rimmed glasses, his eyes shone with a determination that betrayed his youth.

"Lucian?" Dr. Berry voiced his surprise. "I'm very sorry, but this is a private conference."

"I understand, sir. But I have important information to relay to you. Permission to speak?" With Dr. Berry's approval, Lucian stepped into full view. Behind him trailed the rest of the Elite Four team - happy-go-lucky Aaron, the knowing Bertha, casual Flint, and finally, the champion Cynthia. They carried themselves proudly, with a certain precision in their steps.

Lucian reached the end of the table opposite Dr. Berry, and sat in the empty chair. The Elite Four crowded around him. He began speaking immediately, his eyes darting from face to face.

"All right. By now, I assume you are all aware of what happened in Route 203. Unfortunately, such tragedies can't always be avoided. The best we can do is hope and plan for the future. And if there's anything to be learned from Route 203, it is that the current military plan is a failure. Right now, the army is broken off into separate squads that lie in wait for an attack, and there is no guarantee that there will ever be one. If Darkrai attacks a specific area, the squad there will suffer while the others won't know what to do with themselves. Instead, I propose that we have a single large group lying in wait in one specific location, while a second party lures Darkrai in."

It took a few moments for Lucian's words to sink in, during which the room was thoughtfully silent. A smile tugged at Dr. Berry's lips, but he did not speak, giving Dr. Golgorov enough time to rise from his chair.

"Your plan is interesting, Lucian, but how are we supposed to lure Darkrai?" the man asked.

Before Lucian could answer, a loud clank interrupted him. Dr. Berry had brought his mug down on the table with force, causing all heads to turn.

"Luring Darkrai will be a big operation. We must proceed with haste and caution," Dr. Berry began. "I do have an idea how to bring this about, however, it will require time and patience on everyone's part."

"Well? What is it?" Mrs. Stein said.

"Are you all aware that Mt. Coronet is a chain of volcanoes?" The question clearly startled Mrs. Stein, for she narrowed her eyes and looked around in confusion.

"What does that have to do with anything? The volcanoes have been dormant for thousands of years."

"But if an eruption were to happen then it would cause a great disturbance, no? Pokémon flee from disturbance. It is their nature."

Lucian's eyes widened. "No... it's monstrous! Stimulating an actual eruption would be deadly. Celestic Town and Eterna City would be destroyed!"

"Of course, we will do all the necessary evacuations before proceeding."

"The entire point of this operation is to do it with as little interference with the Sinnoh people as possible! Mass hysteria is the very thing we have to avoid!" Lucian protested.

"The entire point of this operation is to eliminate Darkrai before it gets out of hand!" Dr. Golgorov rose to his feet, looking Dr. Berry in the eye. "I support your plan, Mr. President. In my opinion, we must do whatever is necessary to ensure the long term safety of Sinnoh."

Once again, the room erupted in chatter. Some stood to praise Dr. Berry's plan, and others stood to challenge it. The volume climbed as each person tried to outspeak the other. Lucian's voice was lost among them, leaving his flailing hands the only sign of a moving speech.

Dr. Berry's eyes moved past the reddened faces of his colleagues, his ears tuning out the sound of their debates. His gaze settled on a tall man standing in the corner, the only one who wasn't talking. He wore a pressed gray suit, and his eyes were hidden behind coal black glasses. Too quick for anyone to notice, Dr. Berry gave him a slow nod. The man returned it, and appeared at his side a few seconds later.

"Any news?" Dr. Berry asked, leaning closer to make his whisper heard.

"The radiation has stopped. It has been found." The words were spoken softly, too quiet for anyone else to hear. Dr. Berry felt the color drain from his face.

"After all this time... it's finally happened."

For a few painful moments, the man was silent. "What now?"

"I want you to go to the general and tell him to enact my plan. Then report directly back to me. Every second counts. Go!"

With a final nod, the man slipped away from Dr. Berry. He cut through the crowd and disappeared behind the door. Dr. Berry closed his eyes for a moment, running through the previous twenty seconds like a tape recording.

Could it really be? Is this happening all over again?

When Dr. Berry opened them again, the debate was still in full force. No one had noticed the strange, silent man who had been at his side only moments before. But something in Lucian's guarded, calculating expression told him otherwise. With his lips lightly parted, he turned away from Dr. Berry a bit too quickly.

That same morning, in the chilly confines of the Oreburgh Town Library, Sadie sat beside a large reading table with her head propped up by her arm. In the few short minutes they had been there, Dalton had scanned most of the shelves in the Nonfiction section, stepping away from each one with a spiteful sneer.

"Mining.... mining.... and more mining..." Dalton said, running his fingers across the books' spines. "Doesn't this library have anything else?"

"Well, I have to admit, it has a good fiction section," Sadie said. She had been reading a book titled The Lone Torch, which was about a coal miner (no surprise there) who got lost in the mine. She had picked it up out of boredom, and after their first hour at the library, she had blown through the first thirteen chapters. Her eyes were beginning to grow sore, and her wrists were throbbing.

"This book is interesting," Lisa said, finally breaking her silence. She sat across from Sadie, a large book propped open in front of her. It as the same book she had been reading for almost half an hour. "It talks about the history of humans in Sinnoh. Apparently, the region was first settled over a thousand years ago. The first humans settled in what is now the Eterna Forest and Route 205. Then, some sort of... crisis extinguished the population. They know this because over the years, as they dug up bones and carbon dated them, they noticed a huge gap in the timeline. During those years, pokémon mainly dominated the region... then, the human population came back. Newer skeletons were found all of a sudden. It's amazing what you can find from bones."

Sadie's eyebrows perked in interest. She looked up from her own book to meet Lisa's eye. "Does it say what happened?"

Lisa shook her head. "It just says 'crisis'. When the humans were gone, their artifacts went too. So did their villages and farms."

"What could be so destructive as to destroy an ecosystem to that extent? As if the humans had never even existed?" Sadie pondered, her eyes drifting to the ceiling.

"No clue," Dalton said, approaching the table. "It couldn't be a disease, because that's just not the natural order of things. No matter the odds, there's always at least one survivor..."

"The Lunar Wing survived," Sadie said, snapping her fingers. "If every trace of the humans was eliminated, and the Lunar Wing wasn't, then maybe it wasn't made by human hands!"

"Wow... that makes sense!" Lisa said.

"Well, it's kind of obvious too," Dalton added. "I mean, from all the mining books I've been reading, there's no stone that is paper thin, shaped into a crescent, and heals people's nightmares."

Sadie found herself chuckling.

"The topic is interesting, though. What we really need now is something on legends, or folklore. A book that might be able to tell us about ancient artifacts," Dalton continued.

Sadie rose from her seat, closing her novel. "I'll go check. But first I want to put this book back."

"I'm gonna keep reading this," Lisa said, not moving from her spot.

Sadie left the reading area, and began pacing through the aisles. The green carpet muffled her footsteps as she walked past a maze of shelves, dodging the library's other patrons. Finally, she came across a shelf bearing a plaque labeled 'Fiction'.

In contrast to the musty Mining section, where covers were dusty and sand lodged in between pages, the fiction books were shiny and colorful. She quickly returned her novel to its designated place, dodging the library's other patrons, and made to exit the section. But just as she reached the exit, she came across something unusual - a thick volume lying on its spine, wedged messily into the shelf. Its end was sticking out noticeably, and the surrounding books were displaced from lack of space.

Well that's no way to treat a book! she frowned. It took considerable force to pull the book out, and when she did, several more fell to the floor. Its previous reader had to be either very careless... or in a hurry.

After returning all the fallen books to their place, Sadie turned her attention to the one in her arms. She flipped the book over, careful not to strain the nearly broken binding. The front cover read 'The Complete Creation Myth'. The pages, she noticed, were very yellow. Sadie cocked her head slightly to the side. She found the nearest table, sat down, and began to read.

The silence that followed lasted nearly half an hour, during which Sadie's hand became sweaty against her cheek, and her wrist numbed from lack of movement. The text on the pages was tiny, and Sadie had to squint to decipher most of it. Pictures were common, depicting colorful scenes of rising mountains, churning oceans, and pokémon Sadie had never seen before. A particular picture made a lasting impression on her mind, though she couldn't guess why - it depicted a strange, blue pokémon with a graceful neck and beady pink eyes. Its face, tiny and angular, was wedged in between two crescent-like shapes that came together at the top of its head. On its back was a banded ring, colored many different shades of pink. The caption read Cresselia arcus.

Soon, Sadie became so immersed in the book that the ticking of the wall clock became mute to her, as was the hushed chatter that surrounded her. It was only when a loud slam on the table shattered the silence that Sadie snapped out of her trance. She now found herself face-to-face with Lisa, who apparently had skipped over to her table only moments before.

"Sadie! Yoo-hoo!" Lisa said, waving her hand in front of Sadie's face.

Immediately, Sadie noticed how heavy her head felt. Her first response was to yawn. "Mmm?"

"We were wondering where you went," Lisa said. "Anyways, Dalton thinks we should leave. he can't find anything else, and neither can I."

"Wait, wait." Sadie shouted, as loud as the library regulations would allow. Lisa paused in mid-step. "This book is just what we need! The Complete Creation Myth." Sadie beamed. "We have to show Dalton!"

Lisa carefully took the book into her hands, wincing as her palm ran over the dusty, ripped cover. "My gosh, this thing is a mess! Where did you find it?"

"Right here, in Fiction. It was shoved right into a shelf. Someone must have left it here."

"This sounds like a good book!" Lisa said. She turned, and the two made their way back to the Mining section, here Dalton was waiting at a table.

"Where were you?" he asked.

Lisa placed the book carefully onto the table. "Sadie found what we need. It's the complete Sinnoh creation myth. It includes stuff about other regions, but it's mainly about this one."

Dalton leafed through the pages. He turned to Sadie. "How much did you read?"

"It's talking about how some poké-god called The Original One created all the regions we know today. Its power was very immense, but it couldn't directly run the planet itself, because it was trapped in a different dimension. So it created pokémon to keep balance. Kind of like Lugia and Ho-oh for Johto, and Mew for Kanto."

"What about Sinnoh?" Dalton asked.

"I just started that chapter. It says that Sinnoh was the last region it created, and it rose from a chain of volcanoes. The tallest one became Spear Pillar, and that's as far as I could get."

Dalton looked away from the book, rubbing his chin. "My doctor gave me a book on artifacts while I was in the hospital... It was a crappy book, but it said something interesting about the Lunar Wing. It was discovered in the 1800s, at the top of Spear Pillar.

"And there's more," Sadie said. Dalton and Lisa both turned to face her.

"I saw this really strange pokémon in the book..." Sadie began leafing through the pages. "It had the same exact colors as the Lunar Wing. There!" She exclaimed. Lisa and Dalton leaned in to look at the picture.

"Cresselia arcus..." Dalton read. "Pokémon of the moon, supposedly. One of the First created by the Original One. Represents the crescent moon. Served as a vector for The Original One's power, and has never been seen since. Its Wing, the only object it can be summoned with, was lost with its disappearance."

The three exchanged glances.

"The Lunar Wing," Sadie said, her heartbeat quickening with the excitement of discovery.

"So this is where it came from..." Dalton said, his eyes never leaving the pages. "It makes sense... I mean, they are the exact same color."

"And according to this book, the Lunar Wing summons Cresselia," Sadie pointed out. "But why summon it?"

"Apparently The Original One will channel its power through it," Lisa replied.

"And why do we need that?" Dalton asked, strumming his fingers on the table. "Maybe to help wake more people afflicted with nightmares?"

There was a prolonged silence.

"We have to get this book," Lisa finally said.

Sadie sighed. "That's going to be a problem."

"What do you mean?"

Sadie flipped back to the inside cover, showing them the 'PROPERTY OF CANALAVE LIBRARY' stamp on the pages.

Sadie watched Lisa's smile wilt. "What kind of idiot..." her voice trailed off as her fingers ran across the stamp.

"Shouldn't there be an Oreburgh copy here, though?" Dalton asked. "If Canalave has it, then this place should too. We probably didn't see it because someone checked it out."

"Well, Sinnoh's libraries are 'themed' by their location," Sadie explained. "This library deals with mostly mining because we're in a mining town. And Canalave is the main port city of Sinnoh, so they get all kinds of tourists there."

"So we have to go all the way to Canalave to legally get this book?" Lisa said, her voice rising.

"Of course not," Dalton said simply. "That'll take too long. We'll just sneak it out."

Sadie's eyes widened. What shocked her even more was the nonchalant tone he used.

"No!" Sadie's exclamation came out louder than she intended. She scanned the area for any onlookers, then dropped her voice down to a whisper. "We can't sneak this book out! First, they'll assume that we want to take it without checking it out, but when they see the label... They'll fine us! Fine us for a book we didn't smuggle!"

"It's not like this book will be missed," Dalton shrugged. "We need this information more than anyone here does." Before Sadie could make a move, Dalton lifted the book from the table, opened a flap of his jacket, and zipped the book inside. Surprisingly, it was barely noticeable due to the jacket's bulky material.

"But..." Sadie said, her voice reaching a frantic edge. "Can't we just put it back and come back for it tomorrow?"

"We can't risk someone else taking it," Dalton said. "Walk slowly, and we won't attract attention."

Sadie looked to Lisa for support, but was shocked to see her rising at Dalton's command. She approached Sadie and gently pulled on her arm. "Let's go."

With both of them looking at her expectantly, Sadie had no choice but to get up. With Dalton leading the way, they exited the reading area, passed all the major sections, and came to the lobby. The clerk on duty, nodded at them as they passed.

"Have a nice day," she said with a smile.

Dalton nodded. "You too."

"See ya," Lisa waved.

Sadie had to clench her fists to keep her hands from shaking. One by one, they filed through the tall sensors that stood by the doorway. Her breath froze as Dalton stepped on the mat. She braced herself for the alarm, but nothing came. Lisa went next, then Sadie followed suit. When they had all safely exited the building, Sadie heard Lisa let out a sigh of relief. They had made it.

But despite their victory, Sadie could still feel the clerk's gaze bore into her back as they left the library, even as they crossed the street onto a different city block.

"Will you relax already? We made it." Dalton said. "When we're done with the book, we'll sneak it back in."

Sadie nodded, but maintained silence. They made their way through the rest of the town, stopping when they reached the familiar Pokémon Center.

For a few seconds, no one spoke. A few trainers shoved their way past them, and entered the building. Finally, Sadie stepped forward. "I guess I'll take it. I've read the most, and I really want to finish it." Sadie narrowed her eyes. "I don't want to see anything happen to this book - I'm not letting it out of my sight!"

Dalton handed the book over, chuckling. They said their good-byes, and went their separate ways - Lisa to her own hotel, and Sadie and Dalton to their respective rooms.

When Sadie closed the door to hers, she was momentarily overwhelmed by its silence and emptiness. Through the windows, she caught a glimpse of a peaceful, happy world. After a brief pause, she plopped down onto her bed, her book in her hands. It didn't take her too long to open it up to Cresselia's page. For a few minutes, Sadie stared at the picture, taking in every detail. Cresselia, was floating against a blue-black background, the colors of its body standing out in contrast. Its eyes were perfectly round and defined, staring out at Sadie's face almost as if they could see it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I must say, I'm a bit on the fence over the whole "volcano eruption" plan. On the one hand, it's gonna displace a whole lot of citizens and probably is going to cause mass chaos. On the other hand, Darkrai appearances and attacks have been random, and it's been impossible thus far to predict where it will strike next. Should Darkrai react instinctively, at least this gives the army a definite location where they can confront it. Of course, this still leaves the question, "What do they do about Darkrai once they've cornered it?" One thing I do know is, if Dr. Berry does go through with this plan, there will be no margin for error. He will emerge from it either as a hero or as a mass murderer. Certainly it's a plan which cannot be undertaken in haste - careful considerations and precautions must be considered.

Not a lot of action this chapter, but it's not really needed. The story itself, in just two scenes gets some major developments. First was the revelation of Dr. Berry's plan for drawing out Darkrai and the split opinions about it among the other leaders (as well as my own divided thoughts on it). Second was the old library book and the myths contained within. Perhaps a closer study of it will reveal why the Lunar Wing has suddenly reappeared in Dalton's hands.

And that Dalton... always willing to take the sort of risks that Lisa and Sadie wouldn't even consider trying, lol

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I must say, I'm a bit on the fence over the whole "volcano eruption" plan. On the one hand, it's gonna displace a whole lot of citizens and probably is going to cause mass chaos. On the other hand, Darkrai appearances and attacks have been random, and it's been impossible thus far to predict where it will strike next. Should Darkrai react instinctively, at least this gives the army a definite location where they can confront it. Of course, this still leaves the question, "What do they do about Darkrai once they've cornered it?" One thing I do know is, if Dr. Berry does go through with this plan, there will be no margin for error. He will emerge from it either as a hero or as a mass murderer. Certainly it's a plan which cannot be undertaken in haste - careful considerations and precautions must be considered.

Not a lot of action this chapter, but it's not really needed. The story itself, in just two scenes gets some major developments. First was the revelation of Dr. Berry's plan for drawing out Darkrai and the split opinions about it among the other leaders (as well as my own divided thoughts on it). Second was the old library book and the myths contained within. Perhaps a closer study of it will reveal why the Lunar Wing has suddenly reappeared in Dalton's hands.

And that Dalton... always willing to take the sort of risks that Lisa and Sadie wouldn't even consider trying, lol
I'm glad I revised how Dr. Berry came up with his plan. This one makes him seem more... forceful and knowing rather than just another person proposing something.
I'm also happy with my revisions with the book part. Glad you liked it :)

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
I'm seeing some serious connections here:
First off, the Drapion attacked during a New Moon, which is when Darkrai is said to appear. Second of all, Cresselia (in the games, at least) can wake people from nightmares.
Perhaps
Cresselia gave Dalton this item in order to save Sinnoh from Darkrai, and the Drapion came from a nightmare, and escaped when Dalton used the Cresent Wing.
Either way, the story is good, so far.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I'm seeing some serious connections here:
First off, the Drapion attacked during a New Moon, which is when Darkrai is said to appear. Second of all, Cresselia (in the games, at least) can wake people from nightmares.
Perhaps
Cresselia gave Dalton this item in order to save Sinnoh from Darkrai, and the Drapion came from a nightmare, and escaped when Dalton used the Cresent Wing.
Either way, the story is good, so far.
It goes a bit deeper than that, but you're on the right track :)
Glad you like it so far, and thanks for commenting!

Back