• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Defensive Team

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
Years
You have to think math. Fire Fang is 65, and unless you're against Scizzor or a grass/bug type, it only does super effective, at 130. Dragon Claw hits for 120 with stab, which is almost as much, and can't miss. Stone Edge can miss, but it hits for 400 on Articuno, and its high crit chance gives it a good chance to hit for 800.

I see where you're coming from. My Garchomp cannot OHKO a Breloom or a Heracross with Fire Fang. Might as well use Dragon Claw :\

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
Years
I bet it can OHKO a Froslass or Regice, though. At least it's better than Flamethrower. Special attack on a Choice Band holder = bad idea.

It can't :\ It 2HKOs Froslass and 3-4HKOs most Regice. And Flamethrower can do a lot more damage to Skarm than Fire Fang does, so it isn't always a bad idea. Whatever floats your boat though.

Ársa

k.
Years
umm, it may not be as common as the other variation, but:

Infernape@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Naive
252 Sp. Atk, 24 Atk, 232 Spd

Close Combat
HP ICE
Flamethrower
Grass Knot

Takes Salamence, Swampert, Gliscor, Articuno (SR Damage), Registeel.

Starmie can take it, but cannot be relied upon to switch into its attacks, and everything else cannot switch in either.

Tentacruel resists the Fire, Ice and Fighting, and has enough Sp. Def to care less about Grass Knot. Perhaps it would be useful here.

Other than that, Hippowdon with 68 Sp. Def EV's can survive a Life Orb'd Grass Knot 100% and OHKO with Earthquake, but you will need to to be switching in on you.

~T_S

Years
It can't :\ It 2HKOs Froslass and 3-4HKOs most Regice. And Flamethrower can do a lot more damage to Skarm than Fire Fang does, so it isn't always a bad idea. Whatever floats your boat though.

Really? Well, I haven't raised the Bagon yet, so I could do Flamethrower...

umm, it may not be as common as the other variation, but:

Infernape@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Naive
252 Sp. Atk, 24 Atk, 232 Spd

Close Combat
HP ICE
Flamethrower
Grass Knot

Takes Salamence, Swampert, Gliscor, Articuno (SR Damage), Registeel.

Starmie can take it, but cannot be relied upon to switch into its attacks, and everything else cannot switch in either.

Tentacruel resists the Fire, Ice and Fighting, and has enough Sp. Def to care less about Grass Knot. Perhaps it would be useful here.

Other than that, Hippowdon with 68 Sp. Def EV's can survive a Life Orb'd Grass Knot 100% and OHKO with Earthquake, but you will need to to be switching in on you.

~T_S

Tentacruel instead of Starmie, you mean? I already raised the Starmie, but I guess I could raise a Tentacruel... Wait, can Tentacruel even learn Rapid Spin?

Years
Yes, Tentacruel can learn Rapid Spin.

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Calm
204 HP, 172 Sp. Def, 96 Sp. Atk, 36 Spd
Liquid Ooze

Rapid Spin
Toxic Spikes
Surf / Hydro Pump
Ice Beam / HP ELECTRIC

~T_S

All right, thanks.

Hey, do you mind breeding the Tentacool for me? I'll trade you the finished Starmie for it.

Starmie @ Leftovers; Natural Cure
Timid; 172 HP, 120 Special Attack, 216 Speed
Surf
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
Recover

Ársa

k.
Years
Hydro Pump is fine. it is like the option of Fire Blast on Heatran, and Fire Blast on Garchomp. Power over Accuracy because even if you do hit 100%, the damage won't do much anyway. 85% accuracy isn't bad, especially for a 180 Base attack. (Once you factor in STAB)

~T_S

Back