• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deforestation and fairies

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Deforestation has been a highly controversial topic for many years. Every day, vast areas of woodland are torn down to make room for urban development. You're probably aware of the environmentalist viewpoint regarding this matter: that it's wrong because it destroys animal habitats, making it difficult for those animals to survive. In recent years, councils have been taking measures to minimalize the damage that deforestation does to the wildlife, and as such many animal lives have been spared. However, that still leaves us with one other problem, a problem which I feel has gone unaddressed for far too long: fairies.

As you may know, 90% of all the world's fairies make their homes in woodland areas. They live inside little mushroom houses and inside hollows of trees, and they spend their days playing among the flowers of the undergrowth. The woods are absolutely vital to their society, as they provide fruits for them to eat and pollen for them to make fairy dust with. Without these things, fairies wouldn't be able to survive.

It seems babaric, then, that humans don't take their viewpoint into consideration when cutting down woodland areas. There are currently no measures in place to protect fairies from the process of deforestation, and most councils aren't planning to change their minds about this at any point in the foreseeable future.

In 1978, deforestation overtook saying "fairies don't exist" as the number one cause of fairy deaths. It is estimated that 20,000 fairies die every week due to deforestation, but that number only takes into account fairies who die during the initial deforestation process. The ones who survive are subjected to an even more tragic fate, as they are forced to try and survive outside the confines of their woodland home. This is very difficult for them, as the polluted atmopshere which we humans have created can make fairies seriously ill. On top of that, most fairies who live outside the woodlands lose their wings due to acidic rain, which melts them off. This makes it diffiuclt for fairies to find food, so often they die of starvation.

The reason why councils choose to ingore these startling issues is as yet unclear. However, you can change things. By building a fairy garden, you can provide the poor homeless fairies with a place to live. They will thank you by making your home and garden a better place with their magic.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    D; Fairies are essential to the environment, they are the sole providers of magic and glamor. They are (with an exception of a select few v_v) so kind and helpful, why would anyone even consider putting them in harm's way? *sigh* This is too much for me to take in. Operation Save the Fairies is underway.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • This is silly. Everyone knows that Fairies have gay clubs, studio apartments and Fire Island to live in.

I'm not sure if you're serious about this or not but uhhh yeah. I think the world has more pressing matters than tending to the needs of creatures that may or may not be real. :(

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Deforestation sucks (To sum it up). Those helpless fairies! I'm going to start a fund called HTF. (Help the faeries!) lol xD

But seriously everyday 10 species or more get wiped off the face of the planet. Everyone is concerned about the "big or well-known" animals and nobody pays attention to insects or the smaller less known creatures.

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • Yeah, let's just make fairies homes in our gardens. WHY??? So my property taxes will go up? How about those fairies go get jobs instead?

First they'll want homes in our gardens, then they'll be demanding garden fountains made of marble! I ain't paying for these squatting freeloaders! >_<

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • Deforestation is terrible D: Eventually it'll catch up to us. When we kill trees in the Amazon, around 5% of what we kill are plants that haven't been scientifically discovered...
    Therefore we could be killing the one plant that could cure cancer ):

NEVAR FORGET.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • We definitely need to right congressmen ASAP. I wonder where the other 10% reside tehehe. Lol JK!

Ayselipera

If fairies are magical though why don't they stop people from destroying their homes? I'm afraid I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to magical creatues. :(

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    On a totally related note, talking about fairies, and deforestation at the same time reminded me of this commercial:

If you understand what I am trying to show, then I've got the meaning across...

"There's no such thing as fairies." *watches a fairy die*

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • Yeahhhh....

O o
    /¯____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAARGH!!!
    \_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I do not believe in faires. This is a silly topic.

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • Yeahhhh....

O o
    /¯____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAARGH!!!
    \_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I do not believe in faires. This is a silly topic.
    You refuse to believe??? HEATHEN!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • FernGully!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Meh, you're reasoning is completely wrong everyone knows that the Sprites and Elves, relatives of Fairies, live in the upper Atmosphere. What's not to say fairies don't live there too. Duh. XD

It's true and scientifically proven that Sprites and Elves live in the upper atmosphere

Sprites are cool. XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Sounds like somebody's been watching a bit too much FernGully

EDIT: Aw. Mizan Nix Zamnie, you beat me to it!
    Chibi-Chan beat me to it too. XD

Deforestation is terrible D: Eventually it'll catch up to us. When we kill trees in the Amazon, around 5% of what we kill are plants that haven't been scientifically discovered...
    Therefore we could be killing the one plant that could cure cancer ):

NEVAR FORGET.
    Ferngully was nice... XD

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • FernGully!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Meh, you're reasoning is completely wrong everyone knows that the Sprites and Elves, relatives of Fairies, live in the upper Atmosphere. What's not to say fairies don't live there too. Duh. XD

It's true and scientifically proven that Sprites and Elves live in the upper atmosphere

Sprites are cool. XD

Lol. You missed the last type of lightning, the Ball lightning. Those fairies like to dance around in the clouds! XP

I believe in such nonsense. And where did you get the idea? Or is it from another source.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Lol. You missed the last type of lightning, the Ball lightning. Those fairies like to dance around in the clouds! XP

I believe in such nonsense. And where did you get the idea? Or is it from another source.
    Such nonsense is actually true. :O
    XD

There really are Sprites and Elves in the Upper Atmosphere. Pic is from Wikipedia, I found out by watching The Discovery Channel, or was it National Geographic...

How I missed ball lightning I shall never know. I'd like to witness it for real though. XD

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Fairies HAVE to exist...they just HAVE to......

I don't care if I sounded completely InSaNe saying that just now. It's true.....they just....can't be just a...myth.......*sigh*

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • My idea on deforestation is that if this world, or country wants to develop a better place, they need to take down the trees so they can have more of a populated place, such as the current town I'm in right now. The next part, fairies? I don't believe them one bit.

Years
  • I'm afraid you have all been terribly mislead. Rather than the happy, frolicking, nature-loving spirits of the forest that the mainstream media wants you to believe in, fairies are in fact malevolent, destructive creatures and are part of the problem of deforestation. They buy off politicians and pay law enforcement to look the other way while they smuggle their fairy dust into the country. Fairy dust, as everyone should know, is made from oil, rain forests, endangered species, and polar ice caps.

Back