• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Destiny & Fate VS Choices

Halberdier

Solver and Stabber
Years
  • The concepts of destiny and fate can always be changed with the knowledge of what's supposed to happen. If fate does exist, then it can only be in such a way that all relevant parties must be ignorant of what's "supposed" to happen, and if they do have premonitions, they would have to be factored by said fate, and not entirely reliable.

Besides, the wheels of fate and destiny and the cogs of logic and choice are not the only hypothetical machines. In other relevant articles, you may have to argue for or against whether or not a spark of the divine is a machine at play here.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • I think the day we are born and the day we are to die are fate. I think that nothing in the world will change it. I also think that being a girl or boy or being gay is fate. We just get to make all the decisions inbetween leading up to that last day.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I kinda believe everything happens for a reason, no matter what it is. And that it'll all lead to something else in order to help prolong another's life somehow, or make their experiences in life better. Therefore, if something happens now, then somehow that, no matter how small it is... yeah it'll make an impact on life in like 10 years. idk, that's why I'm so interested in the past and how stuff that happened then lead to now due to fate and stuff.

Ayselipera

I guess I believe that everyone does have a destiny/fate, but that it is not written in stone. So even though you're supposed to have a certain outcome to your life you could possible change it by your actions/choices.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I think we all have a predetermined destiny.

How we get there is made by the choices and actions we perform in life. Unlike others here, I think your destiny is written in stone, to say the least, but that your destiny is determined by you in your mind because you make the choices that you've made to lead you up to it.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I think my viewpoints are pretty similar to what Nick said up there.

I do believe in destiny, and I believe that what you were meant to do and experience is written out long before you actually do. However, I believe you make the decisions you do based on achieving those actualities. That is, you choose to do something or not to do something, because you're destined to do so. That was a little word heavy, but I hope you get the point.

I'm not really a religious man, but I do hold onto the notion that the universe has some kind of order in all its supposed randomness.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • If there is only one universe, than yeah I would say everything is going to end up one way and one way only, based on the conditions when the universe started. If there are multiple universes, as in a universe is created at every moment of random chance, so for example when you roll a die then 6 universe are created for every outcome, then you could probably choose which universe "path" you want to take.

Idk. Hopefully free will exists, because if it doesn't then there's no point is there? You aren't the one living, it's just physics controlling how chemicals react in your brain.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    You know, it could be both. If you do nothing, it is fate. If you do something, it is fate, but one you choose to have out of free will.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • There's a reason for everything that happens, but we all have free will to take what happens and form it within our limits. So it's like a fork in the road for every event in life. You've got options for how to perform, react, and continue on with.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Choices......maybe. It's kind of hard to say...because there's also people like me and Totodile in this world....

Answer; I'm not soo sure anymore, I guess....

Years
  • It's kind of a silly question, isn't it? I mean, if you don't believe in fate you're going to act under the assumption that you have free will. If you believe in fate you're not going to sit back and do or not do something because "fate said so." You're going to think and act based on your observations and experiences just like a person who believes in free will. Fate, if it exists, is unknowable.

Basically, no one blindly follows "fate" (and how would you know if you were?) so we're all acting as if we believe in free will whether we do or not.

Years
  • I have somewhat mixed feelings on this subject. While I'm not very religious, part of me believes that things happen for a reason. There have been very close calls in my life where things were at the edge of going overboard, but one simple thing changed everything.

However, I also strongly believe in something my favorite teacher used to quote. She always said, "Life is 5% what happens and 95% how you react to it." Sure, there are some things that are completely beyond your control, but depending on how you chose to react to those things can altar your life. For instance, let's say a friend started some vicious rumor about me. There are tons of ways I can chose to resolve this. I could start a rumor back, which could potentially start a rumor war-- this could change the way people look at me. I could get in a fight, which could potentally get me suspended and change the colleges that may or may not accept me if it happens other times. I could try to talk to the rumor starter about it, but that could end various ways. I could do nothing, and try to get it to pass over. If I take it badly enough, I could kill myself. If I try to be optimistic, I could better myself and try to show that I'm better off anyways. I could let it make me paranoid about who I chose as friends. And I could talk myself out of any one of these options and into another.

So while destiny may have some ultimate future I may acquire, it's the choices I make that will lead me to it.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I prefer to believe that our future is created by our actions and choices. I don't like the concept of fate/destiny. Just my personal preference though, no facts or logic to back it up.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I believe in Destiny and Fate. From the day we're born, fate plays out our lives.

Years
  • I'm going with the choices that one makes. What choices you make impacts how your life is.
    The fate/destiny thing doesn't apply to me.

Back