• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developing: Massive 9.0 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan

Years
  • Donate to the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Relief Fund

On March 11, an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Japan, triggering tsunami waves that devastated coastal areas of Japan and adversely affected several other countries, including the United States.

While the toll of this disaster is only beginning to be understood, the American Red Cross and its humanitarian partners will work together to meet the needs of earthquake and tsunami survivors. Your financial contribution will support these efforts.

Meltdown alert at Japan reactor

A satellite photo of the Fukushima Daiichi plant showed the damage done to reactors 1 and 3, where there was an explosion on Monday​
    Technicians are battling to stabilise a third reactor at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant that has been rocked by a second blast in three days.

Sea water is being pumped into reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant after its fuel rods were fully exposed twice.

International nuclear watchdogs said there was no sign of a meltdown but one minister said a melting of rods was "highly likely" to be happening.

The crisis was sparked by Friday's 9.0-magnitude quake and tsunami.

Thousands of people are believed to have died, and millions are spending a fourth night without water, food, electricity or gas. More than 500,000 people have been left homeless.
    Please pray for those in the disaster area. I wish them luck.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I believe they're getting the 8.4 from an aftershock, the real quake was an 8.9. :0 Japan is saying 8.4, but the USGS and other places are saying 8.9.

Regardless, thoughts and prayers going out to Japan right now.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's 8.9 most of the places reporting that for the first one. Please, oh please, I don't want anything horrible to happen... especially Japan and surrounding places... I hope that they are safe...

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • First Christchurch now Japan, my heart goes out to all. Praying that the other countries that got issued a Tsunami warning will be fine.

Years
  • From what I'm hearing, fires have broken out in many parts of Tokyo, and power is also down. Also, around half an hour ago, a Tsunami warning was issued for the US Western Coast as well. A few moments ago, Tsunami warnings were issued for Taiwan and Philippines as well.

All power is down in the affected region, and all trains and buses have been stopped in Tokyo. Narita International airport has also been shut down for inspection of runways and other facilities. The country's nuclear plants have all been shut down as a safety measure.
    Source

All we can do it to pray that everyone would be fine out there.

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • The tsunami reached as far as 1.5 km inland...

I really hope there won't be any others.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Well, here we are in the Philippines, still safe and sound. I REALLY hope there will be no tsunami here. *sigh*

Just the thought of it gives me the chills. *shrugs*

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm within range of being hit by another earthquake/tsunami. I'm hoping that it won't impact my area as much as Japan was.

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
  • It shook quite a lot here in Yokohama(a bit south from Tokyo). Quite unreal. Fortunately me and my snow globe collection are intact. But seriously though it's friggin crazy over at Touhoku regions (northern part of the Japanese mainland) and there's stuff about some nuclear power plant(it's not leaking for now at least).

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I think this is so terrible, they've been getting hit by earthquakes for the past few days and then this one. I hope people can remain safe :(

KieronGames

May be more active
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    People should be lucky if they live in places like Central America and Northern Europe, where there's a 0.1% chance of getting hit by a Tsunami.
    People in the "lucky" area should be sad about all those lives lost.

Years
  • It's just a good thing that many of Japan's buildings are built with engineering genius, the death toll would be a lot higher otherwise. Either way, I don't think anyone was expecting an 8.9 magnitude earthquake, and it's terrible what's happened. I hope there aren't many more deaths in Japan.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
  • :S My prayers are with Japan, an earthquake and then a tsunami..talk about a double whammy D8

Years
  • It is such a shame, my heart goes out to those people. It really does. Last time I heard, the official death count was 44. It is only going to climb, isn't it. =[​

Back