• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Both. Yeah, power items add +4 evs to the stat the power item raises. That means if you fight a starly, and have a power item (whichever adds speed evs), you would gain 5 speed evs. If you have pokerus, you instead gain 10 speed evs.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 25, 2009
    Keeping with the EV theme, is there a limit to how many EV points are obtainable per level?

If for example, i had a lvl 50 pokemon and fought nothing but lvl 2 and 3 starly on the first route until it levelled up, would it gain the amount of EV points repectively to how many i fought or would it be capped at a certain number.

If so, what is the best way to gain EVs?

Years
    There is no limit to how many EVs you can gain in a level. The only limits with EVs are 255 in each stat and 510 (255 x 2) total. So yes, the amount of EVs gained would correspond to the amount of Starly KOed.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Responding to your second question: I like to keep it simple and go for pokes with only 1 ev to give. Imean, each poke you fight only gives you two more evs if you fight one with 2 evs naturally.

I equip the right power item, get pokerus, and fight these pokes for these stats:
    HP: Bidoof (everywhere! but route 201 is good)
    Speed: Starly (same as bidoof)
    Attack: Shinx (route 202, the route above jubilife or the route to the right of jubilife)
    Defense: Geodude ( The tunnel leading to Oreburgh)
    Special Attack: Magikarp ( VS Seeker the guy on the bridge after eterna forest, old rod in any water)
    Special Defense: Togepi (You can chain them on route 230)

Years
    Actually, I feel that the best are as follows:

HP: Bidoof (Route 201)
    Attack: Machop (Route 207; Above Oreburgh) or Shinx (Route 202)
    Defense: Geodude and Onix (Oreburgh Mine)
    Sp. Atk: Gastly (Old Chateau; The house in Eterna Forest)
    Sp. Def: Tentacool (Surfing)
    Speed: Zubat (Ravaged Path; Cave to Floaroma)

AceTrainerLandon

Shiny Ace
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 12, 2010
    About the Shaymin event....

There's no SPECIFIC time the event starts right?

Just come in anytime 8th thru 14th and download it?

Years
    I feel a little left behind, but what are IV's and EV's? I have an AR, and there are codes for them, but I have no idea what they are!

IVs are also known as Individual Values and determine how the Pokemon's stats will grow. High IVs mean high stats. Likewise, low IVs mean low stats. They range on a scale from 0-31 and are unique for each stat. A Pokemon could have 31 IVs in HP/20 IVs in attack/31 IVs in Defense/0 IVs in Sp. Attack, and so on. These are determined from capture, birth, obtaining (like starters), and cannot be changed. Since you're using an action replay (you dirty cheater... jk lol), you can fix these so that they're 31 for all stats. Please note that it is illegal to have over 32 IVs in a stat and that legendaries only have certain sets of IVs with certain natures so you'll have to be careful how you hack legendary IVs (not that I would know >_>).

EVs are a little more complicated. They're also known as Effort Values. This comes from the fact that EVs are gained from battling Pokemon (that's where the effort comes from). Each Pokemon gives a certain amount of EV ranging from 1-3 in the 6 stats of HP, attack, defense, sp. atk, sp. def, and speed, and even combinations of some. The more EVs in a stat, the stronger the stat is. The maximum amount of EVs you can gain a stat is 255 and the maximum amount of EVs you can get total are 510 for a single Pokemon(note that this is 255 x 2). All freshly caught, hatched, obtained, etc. Pokemon start out with 0 EVs. To gain EVs, you simply battle a Pokemon. That's it. Some common ones to note are:
    Bidoof = 1 HP EV
    Machop = 1 Attack EV; Machoke = 2 attack EVs; Machamp = 3 attack EVs
    Geodude = 1 Defense EV
    Gastly = 1 sp. atk EV
    Tentacool = 1 sp. def EV
    Starly = 1 speed EV.
    This means that for every one of those you beat, you'll get the respective amount of EVs toward the 255 you can put in a stat and 510 you can have total. For example: if I beat 255 Bidoof, I have 255 EVs in HP. If I beat 300 Bidoof, I'd still have 255 EVs in HP. If I beat 255 Bidoof and 255 Starly, I'd have 255 EVs in HP and 255 EVs in Speed. If I beat 255 Bidoof, 255 Starly, and 255 Tentacool in that order, I'd have 255 EVs in HP, 255 EVs in Speed, and 0 EVs in sp. def since I already used up all the maximum amount of EVs possible for whatever Pokemon I was raising. You may not realize it, but you are gaining EVs just from playing the game with your Pokemon regularly. However, since so many different Pokemon are battled, the EVs are all over the place and the Pokemon that you used to get through the Gyms and Elite Four should not be used in wi-fi battles. That's why there's something called "EV training" or battling certain Pokemon to bring out a Pokemon's full potential. Defeating 250 Pokemon takes a long time. That's why there are several shortcuts and helpful tools. For one, the Drugs like Protein and Calcium provide 10 EVs for the stat they say they boost. An individual Drug can only be used on a Pokemon's stat 10 times though, so that's a free 100 EVs. The item Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs gained so if I made a Pokemon hold it and battle a Machop, it would gain 2 EVs instead of its usual 1. Machoke would give 4 instead of 2. Machamp would give 6 instead of 3. I think you get the picture. The "Power" items at the battle tower add 4 EVs to whatever stat they say they'll help. For example: Power Bracer says it will boost attack so for every Pokemon I battle, I'll get 4 extra attack EVs. Bidoof would give 1 HP and 4 attack EVs. Machop: 5 attack EVs. Machoke: 6 attack EVs. Machamp: 7 attack EVs. I think you get it. The last thing that will help you is the rare Poke virus or Pokerus for short. It is randomly gotten from battling Pokemon so it's like encountering shinies, you'll need to be really lucky. It would also double the effect of any EV boosting items that are held as well. So battling a Machop while holding a Power Bracer while having the Pokerus would give it 10 attack EVs instead of the usual 5.

For every 4 EVs, 1 stat point is added to the Pokemon's total stat. 255/4 = 63 so the maximum amount of stat points you can gain in a stat is 63. Since 255/4 has a remainder of 3, those 3 EVs are wasted, so the optimum amount of EVs to have in a certain stat is 252 so those EVs aren't wasted. With generic Pokemon movesets, you'll notice that their EV sets are 252/252/6. It's better to have those EVs in some other stat then to just waste them. Going back to the 63 thing, what that means is that the Pokemon will have 63 more points in that stat then it would if it had 0 EVs. IVs work in the same way except for every 1 IV, 1 stat point is added. For example: Jigglypuff's lowest HP stat is 340 at lv. 100 with a 0 IV and 0 EVs in HP. If it had a 31 IV in HP and 252 EVs in HP, that would give it a 434 stat in HP at lv. 100. 434 - 340 = 94 - 63 = 31. Pretty big effin difference. See how it all goes back to EVs and IVs?

I know this seemed daunting and you may not get it right away. I know I didn't, but keep trying to get it and you will.

Is there any reason for what pokemon ids are?

If you're referring to the OT numbers, it's probably just for distinguishing purposes so that you don't confuse the Pokemon that you got from a trade or event from your own. Also used in determining if the next Pokemon encountered is a shiny. Please note that it is still 1/8192 for all IDs and the trainer ID is used just in calculations.

In English, just don't worry about it.

Years
    ^ Thank you! This is really helpful! I had searched this on a pokemon wiki site and it didn't make sense at all! But the way you explained it, at least with the IV's, made a lot of sense. I don't think I'm gonna worry about EV's too much, just the IV's.

PokemonID's are also just a little extra fun in the game. Like the contests or whatever where the ID has to match up with the day's number and you win a prize.

Last edited:
    Years
    But the way you explained it, at least with the IV's, made a lot of sense. I don't think I'm gonna worry about EV's too much, just the IV's.

Actually, IMO, until you have a full grasp on the concept of EVs since those are gained, you'll want to focus more on EVs at first since they're the ones that mainly provide the high stats. IVs are random unless you... use action replay, so... You can also influence the IVs of an egg by the IVs of a parent. However, that just slightly raises the odds of getting good IVs. You'll notice that on competitive pokemon strategy sites like Smogon, they don't even list the IVs unless it's for special cases like trick room, substitute, or hidden powers. Since there are online battle simulation programs like ShoddyBattle, that let you change most every single aspect of a Pokemon, IVs are usually assumed to be 31 in RMTs (Rate My Teams) in places like Strategy and Movesets.

IN SHORT: EVs and their distribution are more important than IVs.

You may also want to look into how natures work since those have a major impact on a Pokemon's stats as well. Jusaying.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I've got a question.

I've recently finished pokemon ranger and obtained the manaphy egg (I lol'd at the parasect in the mission) and I tried to transfer the egg to my diamond version and when it did and I went to play my game, it said the file corrupted and had to start over again. Is this meant to happen?

By the way, thanks about the information about IVs and EVs. I had no idea what they were until now.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    You must have turned the game off during a save

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
    Years
    must be something techinical about the transfer. it did that when i tried to transfer the surfing pikachu from pokemon battle revolution, but i did all the stuff and tried again, and then it worked. the only thing i can usggest is to keep trying

Anyhow, i have a question. it's probably blatantly obvious, but if you leave honey on a tree for too long, and you're not there when a pokemon is, will it eat it all and run off, or stay until you get there, because i'm unorganised, and i haven't been putting honey on the trees because i know i'll forget about it

Last edited:
    Years
    Anyhow, i have a question. it's probably blatantly obvious, but if you leave honey on a tree for too long, and you're not there when a pokemon is, will it eat it all and run off, or stay until you get there, because i'm unorganised, and i haven't been putting honey on the trees because i know i'll forget about it

Yes, the pokemon will eat it all. The best way to do it (or at least how I do it) is before school in the morning I'll put honey on a tree, save there, then check it when I come home.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    To not forget, I'd recommend putting honey on the 2 trees east of Floroma Town (one near Windworks, other one between there up north a bit). Then Fly to Hearthome City. Put honey on the tree west of there (south of Berry man's house). There's also a tree south of Hearthome (very close to that entry point). Then ride your bike to Solaceon. There's a tree on the way there IIRC. North of Solaceon there's a tree near the mound by tall grass. If you go north and then east (towards Veilstone) there is a tree in the rainy area.

That's 7 trees in an area that is very easy to travel. I got every pokemon except Munchlax from those trees.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back