• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you ditch your starter?

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
    I usually don't ditch them. Even after completing the game I breed my favorite starter Feraligatr and then I ev-train him into a killing machine.

Years
    I often use my Typhlosion (SS) and Empoleon (Pearl), although neither of them is my main Pokemon in its respective game. Empoleon is level 100 and has been for years, but Typhlosion is only in the 70s.

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
    I've only ever ditched my starter twice in DPPtHGSS, and that's only because my challenges dictated it.

Prime-

Monotype Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    I generally ditch my 4th gen starter, as everytime I find myself picking Chimchar. It gets boring using the same moveset and fire type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    July 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
    VUCINA
    This message has been deleted by Went. Reason: Die shitbot

What the...

Anyways, I usually don't ditch my startes. But now I ditched them because I wanted to.

I never ditch my starters.They are always the strongest pokemon on my team next to the legends

Did you ditch your starter?

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
    Not on my first playthroughs and only if say I'm doing a challenge (say a monotype run on HGSS) or just really want to try different Pokemon than the starters and need to remove something to make it fit in the team.

This. Currently I'm doing an Ultimate Monotype Challenge so for Yellow and Heart Gold, I dropped both of my starters. However, I have yet to decide if I'll drop Mudkip in Emerald.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    I've never ditched a starter in the official games, they were powerful, but in ROM hacks and other games, I ended up doing so.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    i kept my starter throughout the whole game.

but after my 2nd round of E4, i found out about EVs so hes in my pc now. i still havnt beaten Red either.
    i probably could though if i wanted to. my typhlosion is lv 71.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    This was my Pearl/Platinum in the beginning:
    -Received Starter
    -Caught a Startly
    -Starter goes in box never to be touched again.

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
    I've never ditched a starter, mainly because I tend to be able to beat the whole game with just that starter.

In pokemon Yellow I even managed to pull through with just Pikachu and Zapdos and Articuno obviously I did not beat Gary/Green w/e you wanna call him the first time.

For Crystal Typhlosion absolutely dominated everything I actually went through the whole game without having him faint once.. not that crystals hard but he's just a great starter imo.

For R/S/E I stuck with Swampert this game was kinda middle ground it wasn't overly hard like Yellow but it wasn't overly easy like Crystal.

For Diamond/Pearl I stuck with Piplup, by the time I reached the 8th gym I had Empoleon at level 72 solely from using it and only it as my one and only battling pokemon, needless to say the electric gym didn't even scratch me and the only time Empoleon ever fainted was against Cynthia.

I never ditch starters, in the end if you're just looking to beat the game if you focus on your starter every pokemon game will only challenge you during the champion and even then you most likely won't lose, unless you plan on competitive battling I think it's actually easier to use only your starter and then catch whatever legendaries you can prior to the e4/champ rather than spend time and effort raising a whole team (that is unless you raise every pokemon in your team to 72.)

I'm not bragging or anything if that's what it sounded like just saying starters are useful their stats are better than average pokemon other than psudo-legends and I personally have never had any major problems getting by with them and if I can do it any player can do it cause I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the worlds pokemon players can tear me apart in a real battle.

NothingPersonal

The vietnamese pokemon master.
    Years
    I always keep my starter. Putting your starter in a small pc is a crime against pokemon. It is useful in battle and it's probably one of the most strongest pokemon you can get until you meet up with any of the legendary pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Not during forth generation, no. I didn't start ditching starters until fifth generation. Therefore, I had my Infernape first game of Pearl, Torterra second game of pearl, Empoleon on my Platinum, and Feraligatr on my Soul Silver. Never did I really had the intention of taking any of them out of my team, as I tend to find Pokemon that fit within the team with them. I would never really use my in-game team competitively for the most part anyways.

Musharna

~random artist appeared~
    Years
    This was my Pearl/Platinum in the beginning:
    -Received Starter
    -Caught a Startly
    -Starter goes in box never to be touched again.

This is exactly what happened to me in HG. I caught a Pidgey and it's goodbye to Chicorita. I'm probably gonna have only three or four Pokemon with me through the game, so I can concentrate more on training them. I mean, I always use only my three top Pokemon so why even carry anything unneeded with me? Many of my friends only have one highlevel carefully EV trained Pokemon with them through the game and then they just pick up any wild Pokemon that fit each gym and ditch them after beating it. I might try the same if I get my hands on Umbreon >u>

Years
    Nope, it actually never crossed my mind to xD

I always pick Grass on my first playthrough, and Turtwig did me well on Diamond. He's now a Lvl. 100 Torterra :)

My HeartGold, which I often re-play, is currently using a Chickorita, or should I say Meganium, and I always find my starter to be in my team somewhere.

I do plan on ditching whichever starter I pick on my next playthrough of HeartGold though, because I want to do a playthrough with 6 Eevees, haha.

Egghatch

Account Deactivated Oct. 2011
    Years
    I sort of ditched Jet, my Empoleon. I left him in a PC box at the Battle Arcade to take out a different Pokémon and still haven't bothered to take him out. ^^;

Back