• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you ditch your starter?

Duskwire

Battling since 1993~
    Years
    I usually don't ditch, but I just started a new game in Platinum, and I did d: so, whatever. Turtwig just wasn't doing it for me. And for now, I guess Luxio and StaraviaCAN take down Onix/Geodudes...(seriously, Bite and Wing Attack take these rock types down).

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    I'm going to be doing another HG runthrough, I usually get my starter and then catch 6 random pokes and trade them for the eggs I have ready, which the team normally doesn't have my starter except for Sinnoh :)

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Never have, never will. I love my starters, I picked them for a reason. I wouldn't just ditch them in the first 16th of the game! It would just leave a void in my game play :o

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    No! I've never ditched a starter, and I honestly have no idea that this was something that people did! It just doesn't compute in my head that a person would ditch the Pokemon that the Professor gave them. That's so cold, man. So cold. They're meant to be your buddy! Like your oldest friend!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    My faithful companion through the ages is Farfetch'd and I will not suffer any notion to the contrary.
    In other words, I always abandon my starter. They're somewhat overpowered.

Years
    I don't ditch my starter, but they tend to be in more of a back-up role on my team rather than my main Pokemon. In HeartGold for example, my Dragonite and Butterfree are more powerful, so I use them before I use my Typhlosion. This is usually how it goes for me in all generations as well (except for my first playthrough of Red).

Years
    Yeah, I often ditch my starters when I have to train Pokemon.

But in Black, I won't ditch my precious Oshawott anytime soon.

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    I only ever ditch my starters when there's a better Pokemon of the same type that I can use (I always try and have a Fire, Water and Grass-type on my team), so not in Diamond, but I did in HeartGold (replaced it with Ho-oh. Then replaced Ho-oh with Heatran).

Years
    I continued with Typhlosion all the way in Soul Silver, and just him. After i caught Lugia, they became the only over Level 40 pokemon on my team when i beat Lance. It was like a Level 86 Typhlosion and Level 49 Lugia. I finally decided to get more Pokemon on my team after defeating Lance, and i traded in my platinum pokemon and migrated my sapphire pokemon.

Years
    just my piplup.

shellos and buizel are better in than it was at the time. raised piplup to empoleon later, after beating the 'elites' the first time.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I've never ditched my starter because for some reason it would feel really weird. It just feels like you've given up on what helped you start a great journey.

Physco

2+2=5
    Years
    I would never ditch my Infernape.
    He has proven allot, gone through the Elite Four everytime I battled them.
    He was a little bit of a fail at first with Rock being the first gym.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
    Like many people have said, I'm one of those losers that gets emotionally attached to a bunch of pixels and I would never ditch them.

Years
    I dont ditch it, I usually plan my teams out and if my friends are also playing, we all decide to get different starters, I usually choose the Grass ones now. except for the first two gens, Charizard and either Typhlosion or Feralgatr, usually its Feralgatr because my other friend absolutely loves Typhlosion, but the other one likes a challenge so it chooses Meganium.

Long story short, I never ditch my starter, unless its a Monotype Challenge.

Back