• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you ditch your starter?

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
Years
  • In Diamond I ditched my Empoleon for like no reason at all.. And in SS I ditched my Bayleef when I got a Cyndaquil off the GTS.

My poor starters. xD

1Roxas

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    I had only ditched one of my starters and that was Chimchar in platinum
    I replaced it with a Houndour that I had traded over from my HG version.

Last edited:

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I never ditch my starter until I finish the story line. In SS i left them and fought red with another team, but other than that, I always keep them and try to train them every now and then. Except my Plat empoleon, he somehow dissapeared..... I can't find him in my boxes anymore :(. guess I accidently restarted him when I traded all my pokes over from ss for another playthrough.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I almost always ditch my starter in DPPt. In my Diamond and Platinum, I ditched'em. Before losing my Pearl, I ditched that starter as well. As for HGSS, I only ditch them if I'm doing a challenge and can't use them for whatever reason. But usually, I don't ditch them.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • No, I never ditched my starter in Diamond, since I did rely on it pretty much throughout the whole game :I
    I <3 you, Infernape :)

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I do not have the heart to ditch my starter Pokemon. I never did ditch my Pokemon and never will because I find all five of my starter Pokemon (by that I mean by each generation) to be very useful through out the whole game. Sometimes I even use them in competitive battling

:t354:TG

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I can't ditch them. They were my partners from the start ;_; Besides, it's much easier to stick with the one you've been training since the beginning instead of getting another, and none of them are really weak, they're all alright Pokemon to use.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • I get bored using the same Pokemon over and over again so I usually stop using my starter somewhere in the post game. The only starter I tend not to ditch at some point in the game is the ones of the Cyndaquil line.

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
    Years
  • In HG, I picked Chikorita (which died every battle), so I reset the game and chose cyndaquil which is beast!!!
    In Diamond, I went with Turtwig. He was beast and was in his lvl 80s by the seventh gym. I still use him.
    In Pearl, i went with chimpchar. He kinda sucked so I caught a ponyta and waited for postgame to use him with turtwig.
    In Platinum, I went with piplup. He was pretty good so hes on the team with turtwig and chimpchar...

Years
  • I tend to ditch my starter nowadays. I just don't like using them anymore. I didn't do it in DPPt, but I definitely did it in HG/SS. :D

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I can't get myself to ditch them, and nowadays I tend to decide my teams beforehand so it's all planned out. And plus, I kinda like all the starters and if I don't, I just don't pick them. x]

Back