• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you get rid of your Pikachu in Yellow?

Did you get rid of it?

• Yes, I did!

Votes: 41 19.8%
  • No, I didn't.

Votes: 166 80.2%

• Total voters

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I haven't played it in a long while, but since having Pikachu as the starter is kind of the whole point of Yellow version... no, I didn't.

I do wish they'd let you evolve it, though. Nothing against Pikachu, but I prefer Raichu, just based on design alone.

Years
No releasing from me. Closest was when trading to GSC for a Light Ball.
(opinion) New Game > walk with perma fainted Pikachu > release Pikachu

Recall a few plays of having Pika stuffed in the PC most th time. Sounded great going in LOL.

I do wish they'd let you evolve it, though. Nothing against Pikachu, but I prefer Raichu, just based on design alone.

Can- gotta trade it though...

From Laurentum

A Newbie in the Community
Years
I don't get rid of all my starters, Pikachu included. I don't know why. Maybe because it was my tradition ever since to keep my starter on my team.

TheGuitahHeroe

i make songs with a computer
Years
In one file I traded my Pikachu to my Blue Version and used a Thunder Stone to get a Raichu.

I regretted the decision for the rest of the game :(

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I would never get rid of Pikachu nor any of the free starters back in RBY. They're pretty good Pokemon for the beginning of the game; with all that training, they become the powerhouse of my team.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
The whole point behind me playing Yellow as opposed to Red or Blue was to have Pikachu from the very start of the game. (Also, easy way to get Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle.) So Pikachu stuck around and is currently the strongest member on my team.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I never put it in the box because I was afraid it would hate me, I thought Typhlosion would do the same thing in Crystal without realizing that the starters after Yellow didn't change happiness by being put in the pc. I actually stopped playing Yellow for over 10 years then realizing I didn't have a good team with Pikachu as my starter traded over a Seel and Kadabra from Crystal and those became my starters, Pikachu got pushed to the back but I kept in the party since I had some left over spots.

Pikelodeon

Woo, pokemans!
Years
I normally think of my first pokemon as my best friend throughout the game, and its often my best pokemon. But, honestly, Pikachu was the worst! With its inability to evolve, that makes it even worse... I gave him up once I got another pokemon.

Years
I tried to get rid of Pikachu two times, if you count evolving it. Both times I felt horrible, because the game was based so close to the anime, and I tend to build bonds with my starters.

(Plus, I also lost the fun of leaving Pikachu on the other side of a ledge and watching it become confused.)

inzain786

Learning Before I Post
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Didn't have Pokémon Yellow, but a friend did. He had a Pikachu that he wanted to evolve so he traded it to me and I evolved it. Then I traded it back and for some reason his game file corrupted...O.o

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
NEVAH!! I always kept my pikachu. I was already watching anime at that point, so I was trying to be like ash. (But Red is better than Ash... and Gold is better than Red)

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 23, 2016
I've always kept my Pikachu, regardless if I trained it or now.
But now, I'm doing a YouTube Rainbow Challenge, and I am uncertain if I should keep Pikachu or not. I want Ninetales. Ughhhhhh!!!

Back