• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you keep your starter on your final team?

Alec_

Years
    Perhaps. I should say yes?.:PP. It's because it's my first pokemon ever. And it's much stronger than the others. It's much more trained and skilled one. :DD.
    So i think it's much better... Also it depends on the advantages/types of the Pokemon. But still. I never removed my first pokemon/starter in my team. XD;;

~Fairytales.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I kept it as Starters are not that bad of pokemon. They have good stats and are useful.

SuperBob

Professor Bob
    Years
    Nah, I don't keep my starter(Torterra) on my final team. I get another Turtwig that is level 5 from my friend who traded to me and EV trained it until it was level 100.

Note: This only applies to Pokemon Platinum, I kept my starter pokemon(Empoleon) on my Pokemon Diamond.

coolkidmitch

Ace Trainer
    Years
    When I first played through Diamond, Infernape was always on my team. I accidentally turned him into an HM slave, but playing through Diamond was the first pokemon game I'd played since Blue, so I didn't really know much about ev's and iv's or really anything past Mew. Since then he is rarely used, he's a good sweeper, but that's about it.

In Platinum I've used Empoleon to his strong points, but, again, he became an HM slave, although Surf his is best STAB, waterfall was put in because its waterfall and I needed it. Right now I am building an EV'd Empoleon, so I have a feeling once I get that lvl'd up, my main one on Platinum will become obsolete.

NeoZX

◊Change the Future◊
    Years
    In Platinum, my Empoleon is the main attacker on my team, although it has a lot of weaknesses. Especially these 2 moves I hate so much if used by the opponent:
    - Earthquake: Because my Empoleon can get OHKO'd with that.
    - Flamethrower: My Empoleon got OHKO'd with a single hit from Flint Magmortar's Flamethrower.
    But I still put him on my team. But on Diamond, it gets different. I often keep Empoleon on my team because of what? She got up to LV100.

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
    Yeah, who doesn't love an Infernape or Torterra on their team?

The only reason I've never used Empoleon is because of Dawn. *shudders*
    Although, I did always use the water type in every other gen.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Since my starter had a purpose to stay on my team, it is still there. I also love having my starters on my team.
    However, if I need a specific pokemon or I need to get out my competitive battling team, I'll have to put it in the PC. Though when I finish the use for that pokémon, I retrieve my starter back.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Yup. Infernape is in most of my teams anyhow. Greatest mixed sweeper ever.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Empoleon remains on my in-game team, though he won't be on my competitive bred team. (Then again, if I breed another one it wouldn't technically be my starter. He's all the way up to Lv. 100, and expect me to use him (as well as the rest of my ingame team) in wi-fi battles until my competitive team is set up.

Midnight_1987

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Yes...I have played most of games...and there are always in my final team
    Blue...Charizard
    Gold...Meganium
    Crystal...Typhlosion
    Ruby...Sceptile, Blaziken and Swampert
    Emerald...Swampert
    Leaf green...Venasuar

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
    On Diamond, I didn't keep Empoleon in my party. I hated it's guts.

For Platinum, I'm keeping Torterra on my team until my team2.0 is finished leveling

Years
    Yeah, in every game, except when i'm doing a mono challenge. Which, thankfully, isn't very often. Never plan on doing it in Diamond or Pearl anyways, so i've had my starter in every fourth gen team i've had. I don't really like the options Sinnoh give you- at the start of the game, the choices just aren't for me, so i usually end up sweeping with the starter. I started Diamond again, and picked Chimchar. I'll probably keep him on my team but maybe i'll mix things up a (miniscule) bit, by keeping him a Monferno, or something.

PokeMoon

Proud "Teh New Era" Member
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    I never keep starter pokemon in my party except for in ruby.
    I had Marshtomp because he's a powerful water/ground pokemon =\

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
    I pretty much always have my starter in the final team, in all gens I did this.

The main reason was because chances are they are my strongest of all the Pokemon I currently own at the time and most of the time they are the first to reach the coveted level 100 :P

Following on that post, I just beat the Pokemon League on my Platinum last night and once again my starter was in my final team. He was the strongest in the team but only by a couple of levels.

Leyt

Absolution
    Years
    In all other games, I've kept my starter. However, I didn't at all like the options in P/D/Pt, so I was determined to get Monferno out of there quickly. Plus, my end goal was an Eevee team, which means no starters would stick around forever.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    I always have my starter in my teams, and then i shape the rest of the team to fit with the Starter :)
    For battle tower/frontier i use a special team consisting of Breloom, Salamence and Milotic, but i never use that team outside of Fight Arena

Back