• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon- Not given enough credit?

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Digimon was never that popular, partly due to them fact Pokémon stole the spotlight. However, do you think it was not given enough attention? I just watched Digimon The Movie, and despite now having grown up, I still rather enjoyed it. I even enjoyed it more than Pokémon: The First Movie. Though it was close, fellow Poké fans.

And when I was younger, I really liked it when I watched the episodes of the seasons on Fox Kids (Which is now replaced by Jetix :surprised: ). I rather enjoyed it, and thought Season 1 was not a great as Pokémon's season 1, one thing that caught my eye when watching the movie after watching episode 1 on the internet. They aged. The characters really aged, whereas other animes didn't even come close to doing that.

Also, did anyone ever watch the other Digimon series? I'm pretty sure that Wilis' digimon was one of the three in that other series of Digimon...

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    This belongs in Japanese Entertainment, so it shall moved there.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I suppose it belongs in Japanese... I just never really thought to put it in the forum because I watched it in England...

Anyway, just out of curiosity, what did everyone think of the armor evolutions.

Starway

Artist and Gamer
    Years
    I like Digimon and I think it should get a few credits although, I still like Pokemon as well. I think there should be armored evolutions although i think the people are running out of ideas XD

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I think Digimon is now dead. Really, I do. I see nowhere anymroe, while I do get to see Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl all the time.

Starway

Artist and Gamer
    Years
    I thought of that too! No one cares about it anymore so all people play these days are Pokemon. No wonder they haven't made games in a while.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Did you know at the same time they released the magazine Pokémon World (You may not of heard of it) they released a magazine called Digimon World. DW only lasted one issue. If parallel worlds exist, there's probably one where Digimon came out just before Pokémon and Pokémon ended up being the one neglected and forgotten.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Think about it. Digimon was neglected. Because at the same time a simular cartoon with evolution and such came out just before it. It made Digimon look like a cheap rip-off of Pokémon, which it wasn't. Had Digimon come out first... Pokémon may have been considered the rip-off.

Also, the magazine is read here at the U.K., so I'm not sure if wherever you live has it, plus I've only seen it a couple of times myself, though it is popular.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Digimon was never that popular, partly due to them fact Pokémon stole the spotlight. However, do you think it was not given enough attention? I just watched Digimon The Movie, and despite now having grown up, I still rather enjoyed it. I even enjoyed it more than Pokémon: The First Movie. Though it was close, fellow Poké fans.
    To be fair, the first movie's dub was terrible.

And when I was younger, I really liked it when I watched the episodes of the seasons on Fox Kids (Which is now replaced by Jetix :surprised: ). I rather enjoyed it, and thought Season 1 was not a great as Pokémon's season 1, one thing that caught my eye when watching the movie after watching episode 1 on the internet. They aged. The characters really aged, whereas other animes didn't even come close to doing that.
    What do you mean by other? Of course, they age on other shows. it's just that they take place during a smaller spand of time.

Also, did anyone ever watch the other Digimon series? I'm pretty sure that Wilis' digimon was one of the three in that other series of Digimon...

I only watched the first one. I thought the others were pretty bad only because they weren't my taste. I recently started watching the dub for Digimin Data Squad or something and wow. It was taken off a few days after off of Toon Disney. But from I watched of it, it wasn't the best I've seen. So I stick with that the first season was the best.

Think about it. Digimon was neglected. Because at the same time a simular cartoon with evolution and such came out just before it. It made Digimon look like a cheap rip-off of Pokémon, which it wasn't. Had Digimon come out first... Pokémon may have been considered the rip-off.
    There's nothing similar between the two shws other than it has "mon" at the end and it deals with monsters. There's no reason for it to be called a rip-off because it never ripped-off in the first place.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I'm still a big fan of Digimon, though my favorite series was the third one (Tamers). The storyline was much more mature, even though the characters were younger. Despite the fact that it started out kind of slowly, Tamers is my favorite because it's so much deeper. Also, the quality of animation and the detail in the backgrounds really picked up with that season. I don't know if you've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion (which really isn't for everyone, so I wouldn't blame you if you haven't seen it), but Digimon Tamers is kind of like NGE with Digimon.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Yes.

I recall watching Data Squad (and every other season, for that matter) every morning before I had to get up at six in the morning and be out an hour later. It was very fun.

And the Digimon movie involving Cherubimon-E (forgot the movie title, haven't seen it in a while) is a large nostalgiafest that was a lifesaver on one of our father's stupid camping trips that only he enjoys. xD

So yes, I think Digimon is a very good series in its own right (the anime probably surpasses Pokemon, except for a few episodes - the games, on the other hand...).

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    So yes, I think Digimon is a very good series in its own right (the anime probably surpasses Pokemon, except for a few episodes - the games, on the other hand...).
    I think the Digimon anime definitely passes up the Pokemon one by a long shot. You are completely right about the games, though. Digimon was never known as a franchise that had decent games. I think that might have something to do with the anime being so great: Because the Digimon games and toys provided such a lousy premise, the show's writers had to compensate for that by actually using characterization.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    IMO, Its a bit harder to follow and less organized than Pokemon and thats why we prefer Pokemon but I still enjoy Digimon. I just noticed that they never had the Digimon from one of the movies in the games. They were prehistoric I think.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    IMO, Its a bit harder to follow and less organized than Pokemon and thats why we prefer Pokemon but I still enjoy Digimon. I just noticed that they never had the Digimon from one of the movies in the games. They were prehistoric I think.
    One of the reasons why Digimon is so unorganized is because the games are so broken. The digivolution lines are rarely consistent in any of the games, and even in the show. However, that's excusable because the only Digimon anime series that share continuity are the first and second ones. The other three take place in different universes.

In my opinion, the best way to sum it up is this:

Digimon anime > Pokemon anime
    Digimon games < Pokemon games

-Neji-

Something Different
    Years
    If Digimon braught out an adventure game like pokemon on the ds where you would have to raise your digimon like you do with pokemon, i think it would hit it off rather then the raising them from b babys type where you spend more type raising them rather then battling or exploring.

I miss the good old days

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Did you know at the same time they released the magazine Pokémon World (You may not of heard of it) they released a magazine called Digimon World. DW only lasted one issue. If parallel worlds exist, there's probably one where Digimon came out just before Pokémon and Pokémon ended up being the one neglected and forgotten.

I totally had that one issue.

Digimon, IMO, was a series so different than Pokemon to me when I was a kid. At ages 9-12 I didn't even pick up on the -mon suffix just meaning monsters or that they correlated at all.

Pokemon was more diverse and branched out to include so many aspects (plus the video game is what attracts attention: most of the Digimon video games, save for Tamagotchi Digis, weren't that great for me). Digimon, though, had an epic first three seasons of the show. I LOVED the Digimon movie so much, it was pretty insane considering it had to compete with the Pokemon movies (which I also liked...I can't really decide.)

I remember when I watched that movie too; under my loft bed on a summer afternoon, I popped in the VHS and spent the next 2 hours or so in Digi-heaven. Sigh...*nostalgia*

So yeah, I wouldn't say Digimon didn't get it's fair share...Pokemon is just more diverse with evolutions, the ability to have multiple Pokemon instead your one digi-pal, and again, the video games/cards had way more success with Pokemon.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    If Digimon braught out an adventure game like pokemon on the ds where you would have to raise your digimon like you do with pokemon, i think it would hit it off rather then the raising them from b babys type where you spend more type raising them rather then battling or exploring.

I miss the good old days

Mmm, that sounds a lot like Dusk and Dawn.

Years
    Running parallel with Pokemon destroyed Digimon. Every day at school you would hear multiple discussion about Pokemon and nothing about Digimon, even though I personally thought Digimon was the stronger of the two. It seems that only a few in a handfull of people would know about Digimon if you mentioned it to them. Ask them about Pokemon and its guaranteed that they would know the name at least. At the same time, coming down to my experiance, if you ask the few people in that handful whether they prefered Pokemon or Digimon, they normally said Digimon. (But that might just be the people I know).

Anyways, yes I think Digimon deserved more credit because it was a great show and had way more depth than just going around, catching Pokemon and then battling with them. The cast had more personallity and the Digimon had better designs than Pokemon. Of course this is all my opinion, so I don't want to get flamed for it if anyone feels the need to do so.

I will say however that Digimon was killed after tamers. In the UK Digimon aired daily up until mid tamers and then just disappeared. In my opinion they went down hill after Adventure 1 and 2. I'm not sure whether it was because they brought the Digimon into the real world or if because they completely changed the theme and settled for tamers instead of digi destined. I always thought the meaning of Digimon was to get away into a parallel universe where Digimon ruled instead of the Digimon escaping into the real world and causing havoc. Many would sya it thickened the plot, but if they wanted to do that then why didn't they stick with Tai, Mimi, Davies and the others?

Anyways, thats my two cents. XP

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I have Digimon World, it was okay... I also had Digimon Battle Arena (I think it was called that), god that game was... brilliant! Considering the Smash Bros. fan I am today, it's not shocking that I liked DBA (Digimon Battle Arena... though it would be exciting if there was a DigiBoy Advance).

Anyone else played Digimon Battle Arena or Digimon World? I'm very nosy, so I ask these questions a lot.

Back