• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon- Not given enough credit?

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    Did you know at the same time they released the magazine Pokémon World (You may not of heard of it)

Heh, I buy that! =D It cost me 6 euros though. --; And I knew most of the stuff in it. But I did get a giant A2 poster of Mystery Dungeon World! <3

And I watched it on Fox Kids. =D

Anyways, I loved Digimon, but I watched it up to Tamers. It used to be on a one station alternating days with Pokémon. However, Digimon was only on twice a week. Despite being mega-obcessed with Pokémon, I remember one winter being really mad that they showed a Christmas episode of Pokémon instead of Digimon.

I loved Calumon. :'( He never digivolved, poor guy, despite helping everyone else. :D I should make a avatar with him!

Toddler Naruto

Playful Explorer
    Years
    Heh, I buy that! =D It cost me 6 euros though. --; And I knew most of the stuff in it. But I did get a giant A2 poster of Mystery Dungeon World! <3

And I watched it on Fox Kids. =D

Anyways, I loved Digimon, but I watched it up to Tamers. It used to be on a one station alternating days with Pokémon. However, Digimon was only on twice a week. Despite being mega-obcessed with Pokémon, I remember one winter being really mad that they showed a Christmas episode of Pokémon instead of Digimon.

I loved Calumon. :'( He never digivolved, poor guy, despite helping everyone else. :D I should make a avatar with him!

Why haven't you watched Frontier (Season/Series 4) and Data Squad/Savers (Season/Series 5)?

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    If it never gets english dubbed though, I'll never get to watch it :(.

There's always subtitles you know. Besides , it took a very long time for the unrealeased Digimon films to finally be dubbed for the states, albeit not on DVD though. The main reason is that Digimon is not put on a channel where it could rake in the most profit nor has toys (In America at least) that are exciting . Digimon should right now just go back to its virtual pet roots because I would love to see the newer ones out here instead of those piece of crap digivices because of their playability. Come to think of it , Bandai could launch updated Digimon Pendulum X 's along with their Digimon Mini's to bring it back. That's what really started the franchise.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I do not watch anime subbed or RAW!

I watch all anime english dubbed only, no exceptions at all!
    I prefer to watch anime in English as well, but your stance sounds pretty extreme. Care to give any reasons as to why you have this policy?

I'd give subbed Digimon a try if I were you. Even though the dub of Digimon was just fine considering its audience, the original has its merits as well, and I think you'd be missing out if you didn't watch some of it.

Toddler Naruto

Playful Explorer
    Years
    I prefer to watch anime in English as well, but your stance sounds pretty extreme. Care to give any reasons as to why you have this policy?

I'd give subbed Digimon a try if I were you. Even though the dub of Digimon was just fine considering its audience, the original has its merits as well, and I think you'd be missing out if you didn't watch some of it.

My 5 Reasons why I never watch any anime subbed or RAW and also why I watch all anime english dubbed only:

1.) I don't understand the Japanese language at all, nor will I ever try to attempt to learn it.

2.) I hate reading subtitles, they're annoying and are in the way. Plus they always distract me, causing me to have to rewind all of the time.

3.) I prefer to listen to shows in my language, which is English.

4.) I am very patient, therefore I can deal with waiting for anime to be slowly dubbed and released in the U.S.

5.) Anime is just a mere hobby to me, so if it were to stop being dubbed, I could easily move on with my life and replace it with a different hobby.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    My 5 Reasons why I never watch any anime subbed or RAW and also why I watch all anime english dubbed only:

1.) I don't understand the Japanese language at all, nor will I ever try to attempt to learn it.

2.) I hate reading subtitles, they're annoying and are in the way. Plus they always distract me, causing me to have to rewind all of the time.

3.) I prefer to listen to shows in my language, which is English.

4.) I am very patient, therefore I can deal with waiting for anime to be slowly dubbed and released in the U.S.

5.) Anime is just a mere hobby to me, so if it were to stop being dubbed, I could easily move on with my life and replace it with a different hobby.
    I understand and agree about subtitles being annoying, but with an anime like Digimon the original is really a completely different show from the Americanized version. The original version had a much more serious tone, and I think that the difference in overall quality is high enough that even with the annoyance of subtitles the original is at least worth checking out. If anime is just a hobby to you, why bother having such a rigid and limiting stance on the debate of subs vs. dubs?

Toddler Naruto

Playful Explorer
    Years
    I understand and agree about subtitles being annoying, but with an anime like Digimon the original is really a completely different show from the Americanized version. The original version had a much more serious tone, and I think that the difference in overall quality is high enough that even with the annoyance of subtitles the original is at least worth checking out. If anime is just a hobby to you, why bother having such a rigid and limiting stance on the debate of subs vs. dubs?

Am I not allowed to be super passionate about my hobbies?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    Oh, Digimon definitely deserved more attention.
    The 3rd series was definitely my favorite.
    The characters in Digimon have always really developed well over time compared to the development of the Pokemon characters... even if the digivolutions were sometimes all over the place.
    But yeah, after series 3 it went downhill.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    I personally think that's it's given too much credit. It's poorly made, and quite confusing if you ask me.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Back in the day, I loved both Pokémon and Digimon. I preferred the Digimon anime but the Pokémon games. Played Digimon World Dawn, though, it was okay but still not as good as Diamond.

I did think the third season was best, in part because the censors were apparently not paying attention. Some of the stuff they got away with saying was hilarious. Also, it sparked an interest in Chinese mythology in me due to the Devas, so I'm thankful for that.

(plus once Impmon became Beelzemon he was pretty much the coolest character. The everybody-vs.-Beelzemon fight is still my favorite in the series)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    It's a good series- has a good mythology. Japanese voices in anime are always really high pitched and it hurts the ears, I must say. I'm not against subtitled things, but I am against those "original japanese version" purists who close mindedly hate dubs for everything. The dub did have some awful jokes which were unintentionally funny, though.

Good series though- the Monodramon line is awesome.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I did think the third season was best, in part because the censors were apparently not paying attention. Some of the stuff they got away with saying was hilarious. Also, it sparked an interest in Chinese mythology in me due to the Devas, so I'm thankful for that.
    I can't believe I forgot to mention how the censors were asleep that season! I think my favorite uncensored line was the one where Kazu was describing the Digital World: "Okay, this place is really starting to suck!"

Also, they left clearly visible pentacles unedited on multiple occasions. That's right, the Devil's favorite shape, the pentacle. They didn't get away with that in Yugioh, but they sure did in Digimon!

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I can't believe I forgot to mention how the censors were asleep that season! I think my favorite uncensored line was the one where Kazu was describing the Digital World: "Okay, this place is really starting to suck!"

Also, they left clearly visible pentacles unedited on multiple occasions. That's right, the Devil's favorite shape, the pentacle. They didn't get away with that in Yugioh, but they sure did in Digimon!

I think you mean 'pentagram', but yes, I remember that. And it's funny because they still had 4Kids-caliber one-liners all throughout Tamers.

I think Digimon could become popular again, if Cartoon Network would get it instead of Disney. Part of the problem is that they put it on Toon Disney, so if you only have basic cable (which is what most people I know have, and we're all Digimon fans) then you can't possibly see it. I don't want to see that teen crap they have on their main channel, I want to see the classic cartoons and the Saban cartoons they have (aka Digimon, X-Men, The Tick, etc...). Those were the shows that they thrived on, not Zack and Cody and Brittany Spears the 2nd, I mean Hannah Montana.

deadmuffin

the tenacious demon
    Years
    I personally think that's it's given too much credit. It's poorly made, and quite confusing if you ask me.

eh? how is it confusing? its pretty much a good ol fasion shonen made to entertain without being EXTREMELY deep....i mean, it has its moments, but really, its right back down to the "fight the enemy, start to lose, power up to a better level, beat the enemy" formula....which isnt necessarily a bad thing. At the time, it was good because I was a kid and loved it....i still do love season 3 (digimon tamers)

but its not given the greatest credit because it came out when pokemon was popular, and people accuse Digimon of stealing....i even said "i cant beleive they are making this" when i first say the commercial for season 1.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I've only watched Digimon Tamers and Digimon Frontier.

Digimon Frontier was really my favorite out of all the rest, because of the fact that they become the Digimons themselves.

falling up+
    Years
    I remember watching the original series. I used to love it compared to pokemon which was entering the endless filler saga. It had an engaging story and I actually cared about everyone in it.

Didnt keep up with it after the third season but Ive heard it lost its touch lately.

Back