• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[dLtMs0 v 5.4] ITT SHINJI IS CONFIRMED FOR GROSSEST; Days till Pokestick Day: check new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Speaking of literal translations, have any of you read any Light Novel Publications yet? I saw SAO in the bookstore and read a bit of it. Don't really remember how good the translation was because I went back to reading AoT right after (or got distracted by Dragon Ball Z in Color, can't really remember the order of things), and was in something of a rush since my time was limited.

But I am interested in how official translators are treating their material.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years

Official are a mixed bag in my experience, most of them are literal though. Things like Welcome to the NHK, Strawberry Panic and Spicy Wolf have all been very readable though.

People in Japan only buy light novels for the artwork anyway, we should be the same.

Years

Don't have money to spare and space to store official manga and LN's. Though one could argue that official translations that agonize over papering over cultural differences and references would be better.

I want to collect Pokemon Special for a long time now, but can't.

Anyways you should know what genre's I like, give me a list to go through. Sometimes I can't get into what some would consider great because it doesn't have the right hook.

Artwork huh. If so, then artbooks are a better use of money heh

Years
    12. Generally, the references are more localized than a scanlation would be, but the keeping of honorifics varies by company and by story setting. Del Rey/Kodansha Comics tend to keep honorifics intact, with an explanation of honorifics printed in every single volume before the first page of the comic. Most official translators tend to have translator's notes after the last page of the comic.

Viz Kids is a publisher imprint that tends to not use honorifics or translator's notes, but that's to be expected given the target audience.

If you're curious about a particular publisher's tendencies in their official translations, I might be able to grab a book they published off my shelf and relay how they do it. Majority of my collection is probably Del Rey/Kodansha Comics stuff, though.

Can't say anything about LNs, though, since I only have a Genshiken one from Del Rey. That one was very well localized, though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

@Don - Well I'm really just referring to LN. I pretty much only read the official translation of manga since I'm a "go physical or go anime" kinda guy when it comes to manga (partially out of preference, but it's also part necessity). Unless digital's the only route, especially since a large percent of manga don't hit Western shores. Consequently, I haven't been reading much manga, lately.

But I'm pretty savvy when it comes to official manga translations, anime, too. Though I think, in general, it's the ones that have the most fun with the translation that really end up being the best. And older translations are just fun for a number of reasons.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years

♥♥♥♥♥stream are obviously the best for manga translations.

[dLtMs0 v 5.4] ITT SHINJI IS CONFIRMED FOR GROSSEST; Days till Pokestick Day: check new thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back