• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DnD - Any players?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I've never played any sort of D&D game, but I am interested in checking it out.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    3.5 is a system where more sourcebooks = more power.
    4e is crap (item creators got screwed and non-combat encounters are also less engaging to accommodate streamlining mass battles)
    Pathfinder is D&D 3.75, though I could do without the overhauled pantheon.

I prefer 3.5 most of all, mainly because I learned and played it first.

Years
  • I've played D&D on a number of occasions at my cousin's house, so I've got a basic understanding of the rules. In the past I have only played wizards, however I'm happy to be a ranger if that suits the needs of the other players.

I'm already busy running a long-spanning forum game so being the DM is out of the question for the time being (and I'm not confident enough with the rules of D&D to consider being one atm anyway). I'm more than happy to play along as a player though :)

Also, I've never heard of Pathfinder until now, though it seems like an improvement from 3.5. I'm happy to play by either set of rules though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm UTC +10.

Last edited:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • I had a regular game every week, but then the group kind of fell apart.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    If possible, try to get me in! If I do play though, I am good with Cleric, but sometimes I multi-task to Shaman.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I've never played it before, and don't know a whole ton about it, but it sounds like it would be really cool. I'd be interested in playing if you could teach me how.

Sounds like you already got a lot of experienced players interested though. =/

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Dont worry Quilava! I learned from a teacher in college, he had a bunch of the books so you can sift through them and learn too! It's pretty complicated but doing some reading up on it will help you get the hang of it! :3

I dunno what I should be this time.. I was once a twin-bladed ranger elf who could teleport.. speed was my goal there. (Haha I drew a picture of him in my albums in my profile here on PC)
    And.. then I was a 15-year-old cocky (human) Warlord once~ <3 That was fun :3

And.. now I don't know what I should be.. hmm..
    Is there a list online that I could read through? All I know is the books ._.~ There are races and then there are like.. "job titles"~

Soul Saint

Ghost~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    There are a bunch of races and classes that people have made on their own on these sites:
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
    https://dndwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Some are well-balanced for group campaigns, some aren't done(In the first link mainly), and others are meant to be for hard campaigns or solo-action adventures(Party splits a lot). Just choose a homebrew section for the edition you wish to play and look through the list. If you find one you like then just bring it to the DM to see if it will be allowed. A personal favorite of mine is the Agent class from the second link.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Wow, am I the only guy who liked 4E? Some people may say that it is too simple, but I personally like what they did with the classes, it makes everyone feel useful. (And wizards don't feel like the only ones who can do anything.) Maybe it's just because I haven't played a lot of 3.5 as opposed to 4E, or maybe I'm just one of the weird ones. Anyways, I do really like D&D and I wish I had more chances to play it. So if anyone is interested in starting up a game (preferably 4E, but if that can't be done, I'm not complaining) infrom me about it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    Me and my mates normally just do homebrew ****, never play serious unless we're playing at a hobby store with randoms. We basically just troll like bosses. Normally played a Rouge, halfling. I'm the kind of guy who spend 20$ on custom dice, lol. Nice full set, metal, with Elven carvings in the.

Soul Saint

Ghost~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    That's right I guess we can't... We are going have a group full of wizards then! (Way better than a group full of smelly fighters.)

LEAPING Wizards!? :O

To anyone that gets the above reference, I love you.

Wow, am I the only guy who liked 4E? Some people may say that it is too simple, but I personally like what they did with the classes, it makes everyone feel useful. (And wizards don't feel like the only ones who can do anything.) Maybe it's just because I haven't played a lot of 3.5 as opposed to 4E, or maybe I'm just one of the weird ones. Anyways, I do really like D&D and I wish I had more chances to play it. So if anyone is interested in starting up a game (preferably 4E, but if that can't be done, I'm not complaining) infrom me about it.

Pretty much every character is useful in 3rd Edition and up. Depending on how you play the class, the content of an adventure, and the party you're in decide how useful you really are going to be. The classes in 4th Edition, all of them, just gain an easier time in fights. That's a big part of an adventure if you're in a large group that only mildly, if at all, cares to RP. Even the RP gets bland when no one feels in true danger.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • @Soul Saint: ... Not exactly. That's not why people hate 4e at all.

In 3e and 3.5e, wizards ruled the world. A party of full casters is strictly superior to a party of noncasters in Core (bards are pretty light on the casting side so they don't really count). The power difference between classes was overwhelming to the degree that tier 1 and tier 5 existed within the same book that all players got access to (the Player's Handbook), which is kind of ridiculous. If you made enough optimized choices, however, you could sort of be about the same level of "goodness".

4e, however, is like World of Warcraft. I don't like World of Warcraft, so I don't like 4e. People are of the mentality that 4e is for someone who wants to play some generic MMO where everyone has basically the same abilities.

Last edited:

Soul Saint

Ghost~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Well, I listed some of my own personal thoughts on it. *Shrug* Thanks for clearing up why most others dislike 4e though.

I enjoy more RP than just hack and slash.(Unless it's a modern zombie campaign) But if Wizard's are seen as a bigger issue, I vote for AD&D! Make it a challenge for Wizards! :D
    Until 5th level... v.v

One of my buddies said he was going to play a 3rd level caster(Multiclassing with two other classes) and be able to cast 9th level spells like Time Stop. A lot of the books that are for D&D 3.5 bug me as a lot of feats are broken, just by them selves. I couldn't find a feat anywhere that my friend said existed. The only one close enough just makes your spells as strong as a 9th level - Doesn't mean you can cast any that are obtainable when you're able to learn 9th level spells. If anyone knows the feat my buddy is talking about, could you point me to it's book or give the feat name to me?

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • Your friend is cheating.

There is a combo by which you can cast a 9th level spell at 6th level once per day, but that's only for a cleric. It involves Divine Metamagic, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and Extra Slot, which combine to give you a single 9th-level spell slot. That is the cheesiest possibility for low-level spells available outside of infinite power, however.

D&D 3.5e is really not /that/ broken (not nearly as broken as you think it is) unless you want to actively break it. Then it becomes ridiculous.

Last edited:
    Back