• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do we create the "Perfect" versions of ourselves online?

Years
  • I wonder the same thing every now and then: what kind of impression do people have of me and is it like the impression I have of myself?

I think (almost) everyone hides things whether it's online or face to face with people. If people like to make themselves look good they're gonna do it in real life if they do it online and vice versa. I do it. I want people to like me so I try not to be too abrasive or gloomy or whatever else mood I might find myself in one day and I try to be nice and helpful and put on the best face I can. I see it as putting my good side forward.

I also keep some things personal (on- and offline) because they are either not appropriate to talk about in whatever situation I'm in or because they're either too personal, painful, or something like that. I bet a lot of people are the same.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Personally, I try to remain genuine online, with certain exceptions. I don't lie, but I do hide some information. I probably express myself differently here as well- text lets you think. Not that I always take advantage of that, but sometimes it's a good thing.

The internet in general gives some level of anonymity to everybody (even if it's easily broken by those who have the know-how). I'd assume everybody differs in some ways when using the internet.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i think it's just natural for most people to present themselves differently to others online than offline, the pressure of someone physically being around you makes a big difference in how you present yourself. and the way we communicate online- especially in forums like this- is similar to being interviewed for a job...we users aren't really spending extensive, one on one time with each other, we're sharing bits and pieces of our perspective to several random people in the world, every thread in which somewhat of an in-depth answer is required i feel like i'm making a first impression. online and offline situations are a lot different and in both worlds i think we naturally present ourselves in different ways to different people, time and the willingness to become intimate with others are much bigger factors than physical presence or lack thereof

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    I'm a quiet MFer sober, so I take advantage of the time to knit a cohesive reply online. Other than the added wordiness, I am what I am (well, I swear a lot more). I went through the pretend-to-be-much-more-awesome-than-I-really-am phase years ago; it blew up in my face and exposed me as the insecure idiot that I was. Along with that, I came to like myself anyway, so I don't bother pretending.

You can figure most people out by how & what they post anyway. Like Scarf said though, unless you're out for some sort of retarded attention you're going to put your best side forward no matter the situation.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • I pretty much am what I am. I have an easier time expressing myself through text so I probably come off a lot more defiant online than offline. irl I'm shy, awkward, and I don't really say much.

Katja

Years
  • I think I'm more mature on forums sometimes...lol. People judge me a lot (what's new in life?) and don't really listen to what I say because I don't "look like a serious person". So I feel like people listen to me online because their not judging ME, but what I'm saying. If that makes sense. :/

Femme Fatale

THE FEMME FATALE!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2011
    I think some people do. I mean a lot of people hide behind their computer screen because they're insecure with who they really are so they create personas of how or who they would like themselves to be...It's understandable because the world is harsh and I wouldn't want to be judged by some idiots who think they are tough online.

Years
  • I pretty much am what I am. I have an easier time expressing myself through text so I probably come off a lot more defiant online than offline. irl I'm shy, awkward, and I don't really say much.

pretty much the above, I'm pretty honest with all of my forum buddies
    however I refuse to post photos of myself because I never have, nor ever will, trust the internet.

Though it kind of irks me that because of this I'm automatically deemed a guy.

I'm not talking about because of my avatars or personality, I'm talking about
    "Pix pl0x"
    "No."
    "*whispers* it's a guy"

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Of course. I did it when I was younger, and I honestly think everyone does it. At different extents. I know some of the random stuff I talk about on here, I'd NEVER bring up offline.

So yeah, yep, and yes. I admit to doing it a long time ago, but now? Ummm. I'm not sure if I do, because I'm happy with who I am online and off so pssssshhhhhhh. But no, I think I'm pretty similar off and on.

Let's put it this way:
    HATERS. THEY GONNA HATE.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Woah, no way. But I might be in a different mentality. I don't come online to create this perfect separate alter-ego, or even a perfect version of myself. I actually struggle to come across as who I really am, but this is what I am attempting to do all the time. I wish to be myself online, but instead I'm not quite there yet, I think the person I am online is worse than who I am in real life. But I still try. The thing is, when I'm online I'm actually in a work mode, so I come on and I do my graphics, work on my game or whatever the case may be, and people catch me being quite busy.

I imagine that some people are a more desirable version of themselves online, but that's not me, I strive to come across as who I truly am online.

Years
  • I am not what I am online.
    I have three persona's:
    1.A hyped up maniac on xbox with undesirably traits.
    2. The normal, caring, debatable forum member I am online to many forums.
    3. A mix of both in real life.
    The thing is, people in real life who are insecure (like me, and unlike most others, I admit it), want to change that image online. I'm not going to act how I do to people on xbox or real life on here because it's not the proper place nor tone. If I talk to to you somewhere else, you'll see the destruction.
    Here's how I see it: If you have faith in yourself and if you can honestly call yourself a secure person, you should have one persona you use everywhere. But if you're like me, you can't control it and your hiding it online.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I know for a fact I don't create a "perfect" verison of myself.
    I mean, I know and acknowledge some of my flaws. ._. So yeah. Perfection. It left the building.

I'm not sure about others though. I think some people try, though.

Years
    Hey, thanks for summing things up for me!

Except I'm not called a troll IRL, but I try my best.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Different, maybe. Perfect, no. I think a lot of people act differently online, whether it's intentional or not (most of the time I'm guessing it's probably not). Although people often have multiple areas to their personality; they act differently depending on who they are with. I'm sure most people act a certain way when they're with their friends, and a different way when they're with their family.

Plus, communication via text is very different to communication by voice, so it's likely that there's going to be different interpretations of what people are like.

I think I'm equally horrible both on and offline.

Years
  • What you see of me online is pretty much what you're gonna get IRL.

I don't give a damn whether people like my attitude or not either.

DEM HATERS GONNA HATE.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • :P No, completely different! IRL I'm really opinionated and can't shut up, but online I probably reply to hardly any threads I read. I don't wanto say something completely stupid. So... if anything... I'm shy online. So, if anything, less perfect as I'm useless at replying.

Years
  • I am very quiet/shy IRL, because I fear that people wouldn't accept me or my take on issues. Online what I say cannot affect how people treat me at home or school.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • I probably do make another version of myself on here. Online, I abuse my own talents, whine about problems in my life, curse a lot and I like to talk alot.

Offline... I abuse my own talents, whine about my life, curse a lot and talk... alot.

... Okay, so I'm not too different, but there's probably some difference in there. I swear more offline then online, but I suppose I talk less...

... Actually, I don't even know.

Hassan_Abdillah

Wayfarer
    Years
  • You really have to wonder what people think of in the shower...

I was browsing another forum that my friend uses, and they had this forum game, where the premise was to post for a rating by another user. My friend wanted to be rated, so he posted so. He ended up getting "The most mature member" award. Thing is, I know him IRL, and he is anything but mature.

tl;dr, there are many things that happen to us in life, but we keep those away from our online relationships and other online places. And other people that don't see that in that said person can (sometimes) assume something totally different of a person than they actually are.

I'm curious to see how much this can be discussed, because I, myself, hide things from online relations because I might find them irrelevant or inappropriate to mention, or just that I shouldn't mention them. There are many people that hold things inside that they don't want to reveal, and I want to see if I'm not the only one that sees/thinks of this.

I think you make a good point there.

Saying the internet version of us is "perfect" is a bit of stretch. However, on the internet forums, social networking sites, even on IM, we actually have time to think about what we say, and we choose our words more carefully. Consequently, we appear to be more mature and rational versions of ourselves.

Also, some things are easier written than said. Discussions relating to romance or emotions for starters, many people feel kind of reserved to discuss these things in real life. Writing to people makes it a whole lot easier.

Same goes for intellectual discussions: when you are talking with someone, you have to think about what you are saying, keep in mind what the other person is saying, think about all the different factors involved in the debate, and then formulate an intellectual response on the back of that. A potential delivery after this is in real time is difficult, you can imagine. Again, net makes all this a whole lot easier.

Back