• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you buy both versions of a main series game?

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I don't mind replaying the same game multiple times, like looking for differences in versions, and prefer trading with myself (I do have a complete National Dex finished 100% on my own) . When I was a kid, I always ended up bugging my parents for the second version months after getting the first. Now that I work and can afford it, I don't delay the inevitable and simply buy both versions on release.

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I don't usually buy two versions of any game simply because I can't justify spending the money. Usually, I can find someone to trade with if I need or want something bad enough and I tend to Masuda shiny hunt and Wonder Trade all of my non-shinies anyway, so getting the other version's Pokémon is not a problem.

Moonwatcher

Tangerine. Probability. Spelunking.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 27, 2019
I got both versions for Fire Red & Leaf Green and Diamond & Pearl, but after that I kinda sucked my sister in to playing them too, so since then I've typically only bought the one she didn't want. (As such, I don't have pokemon X, since she would have got it, but skipped that gen.)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I don't think I've gotten multiple versions of the same game ever since I discovered how minimal the differences between versions were, which was in R/S/E - I got Red and Yellow for Gen I, Gold, Silver and Crystal in Gen II, and then Ruby and Sapphire in Gen III. Since then, I've always just gone with the version that had the Legendary I liked most.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I buy both, generally at launch. I didn't used to, but as I started to know fewer people with the games, I wanted to be able to trade with myself to get all of the version exclusives. Moreover, I like having multiple saves, and traditionally, that's required multiple cartridges (though perhaps not on Switch). In general, I started getting any game I want at launch (Pokémon and others) after waiting and having trouble finding physical copies a few too many times.

I still plan on getting both games for gen 8. I'm not quite sure what to about the profiles (maybe I should split the saves over two profiles in case I ever get a second Switch so I can trade with myself; not sure what that will mean for bank access though).

Back