• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you express your opinions strongly?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    See title. It sometimes seems to me that people never really have strong opinions on anything anymore, or are afraid to voice them.

My question is, do you?

If you have a strong opinion on a subject, are you likely to throw it out there, regardless of consequences?

Or do you water it down a little to try keeping people happy?

Do you do neither and just conform to everyone else instead?

Why?

Years
    As much as I like my points to be recognised, I do sometimes stop myself saying everything I want to in order to prevent an argument, or the other person becoming upset for some reason. I used to never express my opinion, and just go along with whatever anybody around me suggested, which was a little awkward at times.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    My theory is that people are afraid that if their opinions are controversial, they're going to have everyone (or an entire thread, in the case of online forums) beating them down.

I know every time I express an opinion strongly, I must do it wrong, because I do it in a way that makes it easy for people to twist my words and throw them back at me, which they then do. The most blatant and unintelligent societal example of what I'm talking about is this:

"I'm pro-choice, it's a woman's choice if she wants to have an abortion."
    "Oh, so you agree with killing babies?"

So if people don't express their opinions, I think this is one of the reasons why. Also, in the online forum context, people have to keep nice to avoid getting infracted if what they say is mistaken for flaming.

I express my opinions, but I tend to sugar coat them. But the one thing that really really bugs me is when someone tries to end a debate by saying "Everyone has the right to their own opinion." OBVIOUSLY everybody has the right to their own opinion, but saying that every time the conversation gets too heated doesn't get anyone anywhere. Lets just operate under the assumption that everyone has the right to their own opinion and let it go unsaid, OK?

/rant.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Online- I'm a somewhat in supporting my opinion, but I find myself at a lack of words and I'm sometimes just too lazy sometimes to back up my beliefs.

Irl- I'm a very big supporter of my opinion. I'm the leader of the debate club at my school (Sophomore year) when Juniors ever rarely get to be the leader. I always express my opinions and butt heads whenever the chance is given. And my teachers say I sometimes go overboard, but I don't really see it. And I've been known to kinda insult people with pathetic views that can't eb backed up. ><

Serperior

ɱɛʟт
    Years
    Yes. Online, I do it, but IRL, I don't opine much. Most people IRL don't deserve my opinion anyways...why bother with brain dead fools?

Years
    I don't have a lot of strong opinions in the first place, which contributes to me often being a wallflower or a lax talker.

When something I feel strongly about does come up, though, I try to be respectful if I decide it's worth getting involved in. I wouldn't call it "watering down," but I also don't see the point in stepping on people's toes, which generally doesn't make them more inclined to listen or discuss civilly.

Years
    As a Mathematician, it generally is too much effort for me to express my opinions strongly. There are numerous exceptions to this but I usually can't be bothered to argue with people or whatever. I'm lazy like that.

I try to be very careful of what I say and I do try to consider the possible consequences of the actions I contemplate taking. Such is my nature but because that is the case, my true ideals / motives can be shrouded in the Darkness.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I have strong opinions on some things.

I'm afraid to voice them, and I generally only voice my opinions if I feel like I can make an argument to back them up. I also voice them online more often than offline, mostly because I do not have such serious conversations with people offline for the most part.

That being said, I don't "water my opinions down" and...
    well...

People tend to hate me for it, and it kind of hurts. That's something I suppose I've come to accept to some degree though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I throw my opinion out usually, however I do not like getting into debates and don't really throw my opinion in debate threads, or in threads that are about huge issues (death penalty, abortion, etc).

Aurora01

Goodbye
    Years
    Nope. Not in public.
    If I try to, I usually end up messing up what I'm trying to say, so I usually voice my opinion around my family and friends.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I do voice my opinions, I just don't really force it onto people, only if the conversation is about the topic that it is relevant to. I only really strongly force people to think about my opinion if they dismiss it as a pointless one or say that I'm an idiot for it, or see it as illogical when it could make sense.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    If I'm 100% right and I have proof to back it up, then yes...
    But I usually don't, as I don't like to talk much about anything.

Years
    In the real world I don't go around voicing my opinion on everything, but when I do I usually don't do it lightly. I have strong opinions about a lot of things so I have to stop myself from letting it get out of hand. I have to let comments and things slide sometimes so I don't argue too much. Actually, lately I've been more mellow and docile about things, or maybe too tired to confront anyone.

I'm similar online, but online it's easier to let it get carried away, I suppose. Like when someone here makes a thread on something that I'm passionate about or something controversial I feel like I have to add my opinion to it.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Offline I express my opinions quite strongly a lot of the time, I don't know why I do it.

Online I express my opinion, but not as strong because I just don't want to upset anyone's feelings.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Meh, I hate arguing... but I do sometimes, if it's important enough.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The only things I truly have strong opinions on - to the point where my blood boils until I state them - are signs of bigotry and prejudice, and I throw them out when I feel any sort of temptation to do so. Among lesser important things, I often keep my opinions to myself unless I'm asked to share them. I don't appreciate people throwing their opinions upon me unless I ask them to do so, so I assume that people don't appreciate my throwing my opinions upon them unless they ask me to share. Common courtesy, you see.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    In the real world I don't go around voicing my opinion on everything, but when I do I usually don't do it lightly. I have strong opinions about a lot of things so I have to stop myself from letting it get out of hand. I have to let comments and things slide sometimes so I don't argue too much. Actually, lately I've been more mellow and docile about things, or maybe too tired to confront anyone.

I'm similar online, but online it's easier to let it get carried away, I suppose. Like when someone here makes a thread on something that I'm passionate about or something controversial I feel like I have to add my opinion to it.

Ditto. Everything I was going to say has been said.

Back