• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you go by favorites, or by power?

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
Years
  • When a new game comes out (like Diamond and Pearl for example) I'll try to build my team up with lots of different types since I don't know the Pokemon well, but after I've beaten the Elite 4 I start my game again and since I have a rough Idea of the Pokemon I try to get the ones I thought looked cool, then from there I just pick my favourites.

JTrainer

I care about my Pokemon
    Years
  • I definitely use my favorites, not that they aren't powerful as well. I am very attatched to the pokemon on my team, all of which are my favorites.

Hospitaller

Defender of the Faith
    Years
  • I always pick my favourites, no matter how strong they are. If someone's facing me down with a Palkia, I'll be ready with my trusty Steelix. For me, if you have fun using them, then who cares how strong they are? I think tiers are a bit overrated. Sure, some Pokemon are tougher than others. Giratina would CRUSH Banette. You don't expect to win all the time. But strong Pokemon aren't the best. If you always want to win, fine, choose Pokemon who are tough. If you want to have fun, choose Pokemon YOU think are good.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I use favourites, but then, my favourites are strong, i.e.

Manaphy
    Absol
    Dragonite
    Dragonair
    Gyarados
    Charizard
    Froslass
    Shaymin-S
    etc.

I EV train because i can then offer them for pokes i like, which i then EV and use in battles, usually to beat the darn Battle Frontier.

For example, my Dragonite with currently 26 ribbons:

Dragonite
    Adamant
    252 atk / 252 spe / 6 hp
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage
    Fire Punch
    Earthquake

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Favourites first, power second.

I try to get a good balance in there, mind you. If I put my favourites in and my team is all speed or something, I'll swap some out.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    favorites. playing through the game is pretty easy but if you are doing a tower or something then ofc power.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • Favorites! Even in competitive battling. If you use Pokémon for no reason other than they're powerful, not only are you using the same Pokémon as everyone else, but you're missing out on half the fun of playing the game. Almost any Pokémon can be turned into a strong weapon with the right training; you may lose a few battles to those trainers who do use the "powerful" Pokémon, but in the end it's still fun!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Favourites, for sure. Though I'll at least evolve them. (So instead of having a Pichu and a Houndour on my team--my favourites in the line--I have Raichu and Houndoom. D:) My teams are always ridiculously weak as a result but that's okay. n_n Favourites can still easily get you through the basic game and I don't care for the extras like battle tower or wifi versus.

NatureKeeper

I use favorites in game, and powerful in Wi-Fi. It's common sense.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Assuming this is in-game teams, favourites. It's really your chance to play with all those Pokemon you like. Not just the strong ones. Although fustratingly weak ones (e.g. Butterfree) will probably be dropped.

Back