• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like the idea of an almost all new group?

Opinions?

• Yes

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    That's why I said nearly a reboot.
    So? Some feel Dawn didn't get a good ending either, she didn't get to beat Zoey her main rival and didn't win the Grand Festival. I mainly feel she should have at least beat Zoey, the same way May beat Drew, well not the same of course but you know what I mean. I mean, all fans feel there character should finish the goals on screen, Misty's character at least won some thing dealing with water, what was it again? The Whirl Cup Tournament? Kind of like a Grand Festival but dealing with Water trainers. So you could say the same thing with all the girls. And better role model? Honestly, its all a matter of opinions really. May fans would say May was a better role model, so would Dawn fans. Heck, I say Ash is the best role model ever! So I'm glad he's the main character, now and forever.

Actually, Misty didn't win that tournament. She did, however, gain either Top 8 or Top 4.

And although May and Dawn's accomplishments won't be shown onscreen, at least we had the luxury of actually knowing that they are pursuing their goals by travelling. Misty didn't even get that luxury when she left. They just stuck her at a gym and doomed her to end up becoming JJM in terms of power (in other words, becoming weaker). That's not giving her goal resolution at ALL. Wallace was able to become a Pokemon League Champion and possibly Top Coordinator by leaving the Gym, and yet with characters like Blaine and Pryce (people who are old enough to possibly be grandparents) they lose to rookies for the most part, and can't even come CLOSE to becoming Pokemon Masters, either of their type OR just Masters, period. If Misty at LEAST left the series to hone her skills to being a Water Pokemon Master by travelling by herself rather than having to take care of the Gym out of obligation (and not even wanting it anyways), her leaving wouldn't have been that bad.

And actually, the Whirl Cup was more like the Pokemon League rather than a Grand Festival. The Queen of the Princess Festival Tournament is closer (which she actually did win) was more like a Grand Festival however.

And it's actually fact, given by scholars, that Misty was a better role model. Don't believe me? Just take a look at this:

The book The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture described Misty's portrayal in the anime as a mother figure, calling her a "nurturing component" for the original trio of herself, Ash and Brock.[5] It further described her as an "unusually 'complete' girl of the cartoon world", noting both her feminine sentimentality and her "explosive rage".[6] Anime Classics Zettai!: 100 Must-See Japanese Animation Masterpieces praised the character as being "particularly nuanced" and described her as contributing heavily to the series' appeal.[7] Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon stated that the anime focused on Ash, Misty was a distinctly significant character especially to young female consumers, neither "butch" nor "dizzily feminine", seemingly "carefully constructed to appeal to preadolescent girls".[8] It added that unlike other aggressive female characters in the series, Misty did not sacrifice her femininity to succeed, making the character further popular with young American women, a contrast to Japanese children who focused more on the individual Pokémon species to identify with.[9]

In studies on the reactions boys and girls had to the concept of Misty as a heroine in the series, girls accepted it and were eager to associate themselves with the character,[10][11] while boys attempted to belittle her efforts.[10] On the other hand, children of both genders felt the character alongside Brock gave Ash a sense of identity and moral support, which researchers attributed to the concept of group identity.[12] In another study, children were shown to associate the attributes of attractiveness and aggressiveness, while college students described the character as romantic.[13] Pikachu's Global Adventure additionally stated Misty also served as a source of non-threatening sexuality for both older and younger male viewers, though the context of such was presented in a more subtle way for North American localizations of the series.[14]

5.^ West, Mark I. (2008). The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 58. ISBN 0810851210.
    6.^ West, Mark I. (2008). The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 78. ISBN 0810851210.
    7.^ Camp, Brian; Julie Davis (May 2007). Anime Classics Zettai!: 100 Must-See Japanese Animation Masterpieces. Stone Bridge Press. p. 283. ISBN 9781933330228.
    8.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. p. 21. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    9.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 231–232, 282. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    10.^ a b Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. p. 176. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    11.^ Katch, Jane (2004). They Don't Like Me: Lessons on Bullying and Teasing from a Preschool Classroom. Beacon Press. ISBN 0807023213.
    12.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 169–170, 177. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.
    13.^ Ogletree, Shirley M.; Cristal N. Martinez, Trent R. Turner and Brad Mason (28 October 2004). "Pokémon: Exploring the Role of Gender". Sex Roles (Springer Netherlands) 50 (11-12 / June, 2004): 851–859. doi:10.1023/B:SERS.0000029102.66384.a2. ISSN (Print) 1573-2762 (Online) 0360-0025 (Print) 1573-2762 (Online).
    14.^ Tobin, Joseph Jay (2004). Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon. Duke University Press. pp. 284. ISBN 0-822-33287-6.

If it were opinion, then it would be flat out lies. I know if I were to utter opinions, like saying the sky is pink during the afternoon on Earth, I WOULD be lying, and wrong.

I really wish you hadn't dragged it into this. I only mentioned Misty as being a reason for why I'm not on BMGf anymore.

Either way, I still stand by my statement that BW is NOT a complete reboot, and even you have to agree with that.

Last edited:

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Actually, Misty didn't win that tournament. She did, however, gain either Top 8 or Top 4.

And although May and Dawn's accomplishments won't be shown onscreen, at least we had the luxury of actually knowing that they are pursuing their goals by travelling. Misty didn't even get that luxury when she left. They just stuck her at a gym and doomed her to end up becoming JJM in terms of power (in other words, becoming weaker). That's not giving her goal resolution at ALL. Wallace was able to become a Pokemon League Champion and possibly Top Coordinator by leaving the Gym, and yet with characters like Blaine and Pryce (people who are old enough to possibly be grandparents) they lose to rookies for the most part, and can't even come CLOSE to becoming Pokemon Masters, either of their type OR just Masters, period. If Misty at LEAST left the series to hone her skills to being a Water Pokemon Master by travelling by herself rather than having to take care of the Gym out of obligation (and not even wanting it anyways), her leaving wouldn't have been that bad.

And actually, the Whirl Cup was more like the Pokemon League rather than a Grand Festival. The Queen of the Princess Festival Tournament is closer (which she actually did win) was more like a Grand Festival however.

And it's actually fact, given by scholars, that Misty was a better role model. Don't believe me? Just take a look at this:

If it were opinion, then it would be flat out lies. I know if I were to utter opinions, like saying the sky is pink during the afternoon on Earth, I WOULD be lying, and wrong.

I really wish you hadn't dragged it into this. I only mentioned Misty as being a reason for why I'm not on BMGf anymore.

Either way, I still stand by my statement that BW is NOT a complete reboot, and even you have to agree with that.

Yes I did agree with you on the reboot thing. That's why I said nearly a reboot. And oh my gosh if the scholars says it, people can't have opinions it must be true >>
    While its true Misty is stuck in a gym, she still gets to show off her water training skills by battling other kids who want a badge. Plus she has Tracey to talk to, how awesome is that?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yes I did agree with you on the reboot thing. That's why I said nearly a reboot. And oh my gosh if the scholars says it, people can't have opinions it must be true >>

Considering how in school they count opinions as being wrong answers, yes, they shouldn't have opinions (If I said "in my opinion, 2+2=160", do you honestly think that I'd get brownie points for having an opinion? No, they'd mark you wrong all the same.)

While its true Misty is stuck in a gym, she still gets to show off her water training skills by battling other kids who want a badge. Plus she has Tracey to talk to, how awesome is that?

You're an Orangeshipper, aren't you? I personally don't care for shippings, especially those that were neither proven nor love on first sight (since that's the only kind of Romance I could understand, and thus the only thing I could fathom happening and view as common thanks to how the media does things.).

And... skills? Maybe if she were fighting in a league she would be showing off kids spectators those same water training skills, but this... Jessie, James, and Meowth had "shown off their training skills" to kids every single episode, and thanks to that as well as "Ash catches a Pokemon", people are claiming them to be completely weak and pathetic losers. I cannot see the difference between that and how Gym Leaders do things. If I were Gym Leader, and I were supposed to be powerful, I'd actually DESTROY my challengers when fighting them.

Besides, did Ash decide to become a Gym Leader or even accept the offer to become a Frontier Brain to become a Master? No, he didn't, and while it is true that Ash is not Misty, that's the only way this would work if becoming a Pokemon Master truly involved becoming a Gym Leader as some fans suggested.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
    actually, i wouldnt mind, as long though;

- they have a good reason for brock not be joining the group this time nevermind, hes a doctor.
    - they meet up with brock sometime along the way
    - the characters aren't annoying or stupid or anything

and i hope to see more gary, i like how they brought him back for a few episodes in diamond and pearl.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I'm adjusting to an all-new cast, but I'm gonna miss Brock, primarily because he was part of the "classic" seasons of Pokemon. I would have much preferred that Ash traveled with Black and White (the BW player characters) instead, with White pwning him in the first few eps... However, I'll see how Iris and other companions develop as the anime progresses... Change can be great, if implemented well. :)

It helps that the anime is rebooting, in a sense. Now only if they can "reboot" the title!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Eh...it's okay. It's cool that Ash gets to travel with new people, but it makes me miss having Brock around at the same time.

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
    I don't know. The Tracey change was OK, because a third of the main cast was still there. Now two thirds are docked off. Or, ahem, Brocked off.

Yeah, that was terrible.

Jalsy

RESET
    Years
    Eh...it's okay. It's cool that Ash gets to travel with new people, but it makes me miss having Brock around at the same time.

*nods*I think there's nothing wrong for new or old characters just come and go,But seeing Ash's companion be apart from his side of the group is quite,sad..I mean..I'm going to miss those first two companions he had,and so on,..but seeing new characters is not bad at all,I hope the old characters are there to have more cameo even in the new season.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    ^ I actually agree with Weedle on this one. I would've preferred a whole new group rather than keeping Ash again, but I suppose we all knew that was never going to happen. It would've been nice if the anime was a little more like Pokespe and changed all the characters around every series, it makes more sense than advertising with a character from a game that's over 10 years old now, when there are newer characters.

Anyway, I like that 2 were changed this time, hopefully it'll be a little more refreshing since Brock has been dull for years.

They can't get rid of Ash, he and team Rocket are the sole link to the original series. They should keep him at least until he quest of becoming a pokemon master is resolved. Do a spin off along with it but not at the expense off it. Besides the only reason I continue to watch it is because I want to eventually find out what happens to Ash.

Personally I think the current strategy employed is the best one, keep the central characther but bring in new blood around him to supplement him. I do admit keeping Ash does cause some continuity problems, such as constantly making elementary mistakes, Pikachu's inconsistency etc etc but he is making progress in his fundamental goal, that is winning a league, shown by having his best ever result this time.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Well, yes, I just hope that Brock somehow makes an appearance. At least one episode. I beg you, Nintendo.

Brock was my fave character. Since I first watches the anime. It was cool and detached and funny in a weird way, with him getting close to every woman.

With Croagunk just doing that poison thingy every episode, Brock's importance wore off. In one effin' episode, he decides to throw his lifetime Pokemon Breeder dream to become a doctor ?

Seriously, imo, the writers just wanted to get rid of him to work on Best Wishes. I just want to see him star in one more episode.

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
    I think it's great, what they're doing with Best Wishes. Like 'em or not, Ash and Pikachu are basically the face of the anime. I just watched a few episodes of Pokemon Chronicles for the first time recently and it just wasn't the same.

Now I really don't care for Dawn, and while I like Brock, I feel like we've had more than enough of him for a little while. Some fresh blood definitely wouldn't hurt, and with each preview I watch for Best Wishes, I'm more and more interested in Iris and Dento and how they'll play into the story, and most of all, how they and Ash will work as a group.

And while it's a small change, I also like the new uniforms for Team Rocket, Jenny, Joy, etc. They may be the same characters at heart, but at least they'll seem a little fresher :P

Out with the old (sorta), in with the new (with a little old) I say!

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
    I, personally, don't like the idea.

But it DOES make sense. Everything about Black/White is made to allow people new to the series catch up. (like starting the Routes from 1). So yeah, it would make sense if they done that with the anime as well.

I don't watch the anime anyway, (stopped after Johto) so I don't exactly know what they done to the other "groupies" to make them funny or 3 dimensional or whatever. (such as Brocks cooking, Misty's bickering with Ash etc.) but hopefully with they will continue with that and not just make them characters to be characters.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    They can't get rid of Ash, he and team Rocket are the sole link to the original series. They should keep him at least until he quest of becoming a pokemon master is resolved. Do a spin off along with it but not at the expense off it. Besides the only reason I continue to watch it is because I want to eventually find out what happens to Ash.

Personally I think the current strategy employed is the best one, keep the central characther but bring in new blood around him to supplement him. I do admit keeping Ash does cause some continuity problems, such as constantly making elementary mistakes, Pikachu's inconsistency etc etc but he is making progress in his fundamental goal, that is winning a league, shown by having his best ever result this time.

We Misty fans have argued the exact same thing about Misty, and given the fact that even approximately eight years, probably nine by now, we still haven't died down yet, I'd say that I'm not exaggerating, and yet that never stopped them from removing Misty. If our opinions didn't matter in regards to the Writers, why should the Writers even care about Ash? If I were them, I'd actually remove Ash from the anime, period.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021

I know. I find it funny that something I've repeated hundreds of times to other people is now being repeated to me XD When I wrote that it was well before the Sinnoh league, anyway, so it was unknown if Ash would be the winner or not. I can't see any reason why they can't finish up Ash's story and have a new protagonist, other than the writers think the formula still works and it's just easiest to keep it this way than take any chances.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    We Misty fans have argued the exact same thing about Misty, and given the fact that even approximately eight years, probably nine by now, we still haven't died down yet, I'd say that I'm not exaggerating, and yet that never stopped them from removing Misty. If our opinions didn't matter in regards to the Writers, why should the Writers even care about Ash? If I were them, I'd actually remove Ash from the anime, period.

Simple reason is that Misty isn't the main and central charachter of the show unlike Ash. This show is built around Ash's quest of becoming a Pokemon Master not Misty dreams. Hence, Misty is expendenble whilst Ash is not.

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
    A change can be good or it can be bad, but what's Ash got to lose really.
    I think it's better that there are newcomers, all Brock ever did was squint and make food that looked like rabbit droppings. :P

I think the new characters will have interesting qualities and I look forward to seeing them in action.

Years
    hmmm i don't know. i mean change is good but it is hard to picture it without brock. He has been there since the indigo league......but it would be refreshing to have all new characters......but u never know....it isn't definite that Brock is leaving forever is it? he might end up coming back later.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    I'm glad they got rid of Brock. Don't get me wrong, I liked him, but I felt that with this whole new "fresh start" thing they're going for it made sense to drop him. Hopefully he will return in future but as for now I'm excited that it's two new companions and I'm actually going to start watching the Anime again. (Haven't watched since the Johto episodes except for some of the gym battles)

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    I don't mind that Brock's leaving, mainly because I liked his old VA more. Dawn, well, I didn't get too attached to her, because I knew she would leave.

I like the idea of two new characters instead of just one. Why not try something new?

ya but that doesn't mean they can't keep brock aswell as add 2 new characters. they just need brock to actually battle/use his pokemon.

also what you said at the end is what they did in hoenn, it was may and max who joined.

Back