• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you miss the older generation Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2011
    I've been trading to get some Generation 1 Pokemon before i've even gotten the 4th badge. Idk why, i just don't love this generation. I kinda feel like i'm cheating at the game, but i'm not, i breed them from level 1. So, do you all miss using some of the older generation Pokémon pre-game or do you like the fact that you can only use the native Unova Pokémon until after the National Dex is obtained?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I edited your original post slightly so it can bring in more of a discussion.

To add on to the topic, it's a little bit of yes and no for me. Yes because there are some Pokémon I would have liked to add on my team for support, and no because this allows me to play through without having other irritating Pokémon from the previous generations in my way. I find that with this way, I run into a lot of Pokémon I have thoughts on wanting for my team and it makes me go through several switches, which makes part of the fun enjoyable for a new generation.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Well, to be honest, I kinda do, being a veteran fan of Pokemon and all. but it's really nice to see some new Pokemon being revealed and having to enjoy the moments in this amazing generation. I will still cherish the memories with the older generations from time to time though.

Jak

daяk εco frεak
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 23, 2014
    I don't miss them. I'll see them in the post game. :) They are not forgotten, they have nothing to fear~!

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Well, to be honest, I kinda do, being a veteran fan of Pokemon and all. but it's really nice to see some new Pokemon being revealed and having to enjoy the moments in this amazing generation. I will still cherish the memories with the older generations from time to time though.

I'm agree with this. I can accept some of the new Pokemon Although they didn't receive much love than those older pokemon because I'm a person than still wear a light nostalgia glasses and still hoping for return of older design.

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I like having new monsters / friends to meet and play with. Its not that I miss my old friends, its just that I have a lot of new ones to meet. I am actually really glad that Gamefreak made it this way. Its more of a challenge. My old friend are not forgotten, and I will see them again some day soon.

AngelXavier

The Blue Dawg
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    No not at all. I'm completely happy that they only used the 5th Gen Pokemon in the 5th Gen Game, After you beat N and get Zekrom/Reshiram, you get access to some older Gen Pokemon.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    There are tons of the older generation Pokémon that I'd love to have on my team right now, but I enjoy seeing so many of the new faces around the region, that I don't feel any sense of desire to have them around. So, I'd answer no to that question. It actually makes the game a lot more interesting in the way seeing as I don't currently know all 156 of the new Pokémon just yet either; thus giving me the opportunity to try my hand at raising some of them for the first time without having to rely on my older Pokémon favorites.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    I do miss them, but at the same time I don't.
    I miss the familiar pokemon, but I absolutely love the new ones. This is my favorite generation, next to third generation (can't wait for the remake [:). It's fun not to see any old pokemon, but it also feels a little...odd. But, as soon as I beat the game all of the generations will mix again, so it doesn't really matter.
    The pokemon I miss the most is Magikarp. :'( (Not really, but y'know, Magikarp is awesomesauce...)

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I miss my Ninetales, but I'm loving most of the new Pokemon, and I'm glad to see the back of Geodudes and Zubats for a while!

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2011
    I personally enjoy the new change of scenery. Seeing brand new Pokemon, new challenges and areas is great. Of course some of the Pokemon aren't as good as some people had hoped but we can't complain since the new generations had some interesting Pokemon. It just takes some getting used to.

Years
    Yeah, I miss them, but it's time to move on. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to transfer my bros onto White, but having only new Pokemon makes this game feel fresh. I think it's pretty cool to see my opponent send out a Pokemon I've never heard of. Not knowing the Pokemon's types and strategies makes battles a lot more interesting. When you throw in these new moves and abilities I've never heard of, it's a whole new experience. Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense how the Unovans managed to keep the likes of Ratatta and various bird Pokemon out of their region. It's also kind of weird to see all the Pikachu love in a region that Pikachu isn't even native too. Then again, Pikachu wasn't even native to Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, it had to be imported to the Safari Zone/Trophy Garden...

Anyways, the downside of having nothing but new Pokemon is that the new Pokemon completely and utterly suck. I want simpler and more natural designs just the earlier generations. Bone structure, reasonable body proportions, and resemblance to real animals is getting less and less common amongst Pokemon in each generation. Yeah, I understand that Pokemon don't have to be based off animals and that some of you love all this intense creativity, but I prefer a mixture of that and realism. My White team is composed of very animal-like Pokemon such as Serperior, Galvantula, Sawsbuck, and Zebstrika. That's one of the beautiful things about Pokemon though; there's so much creatures that you're bound to like quite a few, even out of the new ones. I can guarantee that you like at least six of the Unova Pokemon. But yeah, if you really hate them so much you can always trade in some older Pokemon with a little help.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I have always been able to leave the older generations behind without much hassle. I think I'll be fine with the fifth generation without missing anything.

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
    Years
    How can you miss something that isn't gone?

Ugh, I hate nostalgiafans no offense. It's just really illogical to miss something that is STILL THERE.

I love having a fresh start. I'm glad that the previous generation Pokemon don't appear until post-Elite Four. People need to stop complaining. The new Pokemon are amazing! Give them a try for once!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Simply put: no. Don't get me wrong, I love the older generation pokemon, particularly 3rd and 4th gen, but I'm glad they aren't in B/W because I'd go crazy seeing the same pokemon imported to yet another generation. Starting over with entirely new pokemon really does make it feel like I'm playing pokemon again for the first time, somewhat. Besides not having older gen pokemon gives me a reason to actually complete the regional pokedex. For instance, I hated catching a tentacool in D/P just to complete the pokedex when I've caught one countless times before in other games.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I think it's good the left out older generation pokemonin the main game. I mean, I was part of the first generation, but I always found them distracting when trying to play the new games. Like in platinum, I'd pretty much pass everything up until I found a first/second generation pokemon, and, consequently, my 4th gen team consisted of MOSTLY first gen pokemon. I feel like them being there made it harder for me to appreciate all of the work put into the game.

Back