• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you miss the older generation Pokémon?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Haven't got that far in the games, but I don't miss the older ones at all. All the adorable cute new Pokemon make up for that :3

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    NO, this is a new generation, so I want to see NEW Pokemon, not like in DPPt.

I still play Ruby, Emerald, Fire Red & Heart Gold, so I get to see the older gen's Pokemon often enough.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
    I only missed my mandatory Alakazam being part of my team (every single gen I have one in my team) so I got one now in my team even though I only have 6 badges.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Ahh! Definitely not. I'm so glad that there's finally a Pokémon game that features only the Pokémon that are introduced that generation. I thought I would go throughout the game getting a little upset that the older Pokémon weren't included, since I didn't think I liked that many of the Pokémon from this generation, but I haven't in the least. In fact, after playing the game, I've grown to like most of them quite well.

Years
    I'm loving the game without any older Pokemon included. It's pretty much a totally new experience and I'm enjoying the game for what it is. I didn't like 60% of the new Pokemon when I first saw them, but they've all grown on me as I've played through the game (even the ones I absolutely hated like Woobat and Klink) and now I think they're awesome :P.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    I never minded the lack of old gen pokemon before because there was always Geodude, Machop, Abra and Magikarp (it was a bad pokemon but it evolved into an amazing one, though) but there is a problem when you have NO Geodude and NO Abra because Roggenrola and Gothita SERIOUSLY annoy me.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    It hasn't really bothered me up till now. I actually like the fact that you can only find B/W pokemon in the wild (upto some point anyway). I've grown to love the new pokemon, and I find it to be a pretty exhilarating experience as it is. <3

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    No. The reason I hated Pearl was because of too much variety and linking between all the other games (and a bad storyline). B/W is unique and fun because of the exclusion of these Pokemon until after the Elite Four.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
    I never minded the lack of old gen pokemon before because there was always Geodude, Machop, Abra and Magikarp (it was a bad pokemon but it evolved into an amazing one, though) but there is a problem when you have NO Geodude and NO Abra because Roggenrola and Gothita SERIOUSLY annoy me.

Roggenrola only appears in one cave, which you only go through once because of storyline purpose and never come back to it ever again. Unlike Geodude who shows up in EVERY damn cave.

That's the problem, Geodude, Machop, Abra and Magikarp has been staple in the last 4 generation. In DPPT it was overrun by the old gen pokemon, making choosing team so much easier.

Seeing new pokemon everywhere you go, catching every pokemon you see, trying to make different teams the fits your style, what makes Pokemon Black and White amazing, it brought back the feeling of Red/Blue era where you catch every "cool" pokemon you see and not knowing if they are good or not so you try them out in your team.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    I do not miss the old pokemon at all. In fact, even after defeating the Elite Four and getting the National Pokedex, I still use Unova Pokemon.

I mean, who doesn't like a Mienshao with Hi Jump Kick? It does MASSIVE damage, which impressed me, and I caught myself a Mienfoo, evolving it into a Mienshao, and I do not regret it one bit.

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Its not like they are gone forever. Its nice for once to be able to only have new Pokemon on your team, though I wish that there were more evolutions of older Pokemon because that is generally one of my favorite things to see when a new game comes out. But if there is a next generation there should be quite a few new evolutions because of the patter (Gen1 All new, Gen2 many evolutions, Gen3 few evolutions, Gen4 many many evolutions, Gen5 all new, so Gen6 many evolutons!!)

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    Well, it's not like they've been long forgotten or anything so no need to miss them. I personally love seeing new Pokemon whenever they come out, and I still like some of the old ones too.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Yes and no. Yes because I liked a lot of the pokemon.

No, because I like all the new pokemon too. I also like the new places.

MeiChama

Spazztastic Fangirl~
    Years
    Yes and no. I do like using the Unova region Pokemon, although I do miss having a Dragonite in my Party. Good thing I'll be catching a Dratini after I beat the Elite Four. :3

Years
    I've been enthralled by the new generation to miss them.

Plus, it's not like we're back in the 202 era. The old Pokémon are still accessible through swarms, trading, and other methods. It's also the individuals I've carefully trained for competitive use I miss the most when starting a new generation, and I can bring them along this time.

PS. NO ZUBAT OR TENTACOOL! WEEE!! \o/

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    The older Pokemon haven't disappeared or anything. They're still there. It's kinda refreshing, a change of scenery and Pokemon.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Nope, actually. I'm actually feeling like they've covered almost all of their bases with variety in the new Pokemon; I know that even if I started over with a new file, I'd probably use entirely different Pokemon and play through the game in a whole different manner. I really like the new ones that they've introduced, and while I'll miss my Gliscors and Tyranitars and Metagrosses for the time being, I'll get them later, and I'll enjoy my Excadrill and Conkeldurr until then. ;)

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    Not at all. I was bloody sick of Geodude/Zubat infested caves and Tentacools constantly having fiestas in the water when I was surfing. I absolutley love how the developing team took them out. It makes the new generation look like less of an afterthought of older generations and more like they have their own niche in the Pokemon world. The way the other gens did it just kinda made them blend in with the first generation, but with all of the first four generations taken out, it really gets you familiarized and even attached to these new Pokemon because of how they're standing out out their own.

And it's not like if you like OMG TTLY HAET DESE POKEMON! DEY SUCK EGGS I HAET DEM OMGGGG!!111 you have to keep them forever. You just need to use them long enough to beat the main story and then you can just trade with older games.

Back