• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you miss the older generation Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    I just got Black version after an extended break from pokemon. I haven't seen any of the new pokemon except the starters and their evolutions frp, Bulbapedia. I'm not going to spoil the new pokemon for myself (at least not yet, don't know how long that will last) but I'm searching for a wild pokemon modifier code so i can have one of the old starters, because I personally am not a huge fan of the new starters.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I bred myself a lot of Pokemon of generations 1-4 and I don't feel it's cheating at all. :D (I'm just at 4th gym and managed to trade some of them). They're even weaker than Gen V Pokemon.
    So, I don't have to miss them. I also admit that most of Gen V Pokemon don't seriously appeal to me... (Not that I don't like them, but I find most a bit bland).
    EDIT: 50th post! ^^

Years
  • Nope, I do not. I like the older Pokemon but the new ones are so awesome. I like this generation much more than any of the others. Besides you can get other generation Pokemon later after you beat the game.

Saikusu

Cheren is the Coolest Asian.
    Years
  • Not really, but that's me i've finished all the other one's so many times it was really refreshing to only see the 5th generation and unlike most people i really like them.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I don't miss them, although I do have a bunch of Pokemon waiting on SoulSilver to be transferred over as soon as I beat the game. What I do miss is the region though. Good old Johto...

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Somewhat, but they got kinda cliche' after a while. I'm loving the new Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I also really miss the old gen. 1 (and 2) pokemon. Especially the starters :)
    That's why I loved HearGold and SoulSilver :D

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I didn't miss them at all, it's refreshing to only see new faces.

That said I finished the game now so I'm encountering past gen pokemon at the moment.

I actually hope they do something similar in the 6th gen. (except possible include some past gen evos that don't appear until after the main storyline)

Last edited:

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i dont mind not having them. i love having all new pokemon with none of the older ones. i think if they had included them i would have stuck with the old ones and never would have used the new ones just because i am stubborn like that.

Years
  • Nope I do not miss the older Pokemon. These games have so many cool new ones that are much better. Anyways you can get older Pokemon later on.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I feel as though the exclusion of older gen prior to the elite 4 was a great thing. I like the fact that the game forces me to get acquainted with pokemon I've never seen. I especially like the fact that no Geodudes, Machops, or Zubats are seen.

Of course you'll always miss some of the prior generation guys but I'm sure you'll find some you like out of the 156 new ones that will become regulars on your teams.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • Not really. I grew up with Pokemon from the Red and Blue generations, and most people label my generation into the nostalgia freaks, but I welcomed the new pokemon and atmosphere.

Sure I missed using my Blastoise, but the whole game experience just excited me. It made me feel like I was 9 years old again. I didn't know what was coming to me, I didn't know most of the pokemon and their types (so battling was fun... and scary). I was literally 'what the heck is a joltik" "omg where is this city I am lost" "screw you last sage, I will find youuuu" "so that's what a haxorus is. oh god save me"

Mark9

Toto Trainer
    Years
  • Agreed with majority, in fact rather weirdly, I felt somewhat cheated that the main game with the Unova Pokemon didn't last that long. My main team will stay with the Unova guys because I already know Swampert, Feraligatr and Victreebel like the back of my hand.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2011
    It just doesn't seem right to be playing a Pokemon game where I can't catch Pikachu.
    Pikachu has always been the mascot for the game. I don't even use one on my team but I just like knowing Pika is there. Plus Pika is just so darned cute!

My problem with Black/White Pokemon is that the designers seem to have thrown everything plus the kitchen sink into every single new Pokemon. I miss the simple cuteness of the "babies". So far I am not "madly in love" with any of the new ones they way I am with Jiggly Puff and Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Yeah, I miss them, but it's time to move on. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to transfer my bros onto White, but having only new Pokemon makes this game feel fresh. I think it's pretty cool to see my opponent send out a Pokemon I've never heard of. Not knowing the Pokemon's types and strategies makes battles a lot more interesting. When you throw in these new moves and abilities I've never heard of, it's a whole new experience. Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense how the Unovans managed to keep the likes of Ratatta and various bird Pokemon out of their region. It's also kind of weird to see all the Pikachu love in a region that Pikachu isn't even native too. Then again, Pikachu wasn't even native to Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, it had to be imported to the Safari Zone/Trophy Garden...

This...

Anyways, the downside of having nothing but new Pokemon is that the new Pokemon completely and utterly suck.

...But not this.

I've loved having new and unknown Pokemon jump out at me when I enter a new Route. Also, the fact that almost every new evolutionary line is available in the wild pre-E4 means that there's a wider variety of Pokemon on each Route, which was pretty much my main hope for the 5th Generation. No more do we get endless streams of Rattata/Geodude/Zubat etc. In fact before you even reach the first Gym, you can have your starter, Lillipup, Patrat, Audino, Purrloin, and one of the monkeys to choose from. Not only did that mean you have more than just Starter + Pidgey/Rattata to choose from, but also that you have interesting types other than Normal to pick between.

I think they could take it a step further, mind. I'm still waiting for the day when a Pokemon game is released where all 600+ are catchable in the wild from the start (IMAGINE THE CHOICE!)...

But to answer the question in the OP, would it have been a better game if the Gen I-IV Pokemon were involved from the start? No, to be honest I don't think it would have. At least this way I was encouraged to use the new Pokemon, and I got to know and love them much more this way.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    As others have said, it isn't like you won't be reunited with you're old favourites after the main story is finished. (or before even if you're determined enough)

It's a good thing that we can't depend on old reliables to get us through. Besides, this is the 5th gen so it should be the 5th gens pokemon time to shine.

Back