• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faeiri

Pokémon Noob
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2020
    If the Pokemon is going on my team, I always nickname it. If I'm boxing it, I usually just convert the name to have lowercase, unless I have a really strong idea. And I never nickname legendaries, at all. Pre-Unova, I even leave the caps on, although I might change that.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I started nicknaming my Pokemon when I started battling competitively, which was about a month after Soul Silver came out. Ahhh, the good old days, before you could see your opponent's team, lol. I think it's fair to say nicknaming Pokes helped me a time or two in Battles, I'd send out something that was nicknamed something completely different from what it was, and the opponent would be thrown off. For example my "Scarfchomp" never actually held a Scarf. I still nickname everything, but now it's not about trying to trick my opponent, it's just whatever pops into my head. Mr. Muscles the Feraligatr, hornyNgrEn the Tyranitar, Letmefngru the Excadrill, and so on and so forth.

Years
    Ahhh, the good old days, before you could see your opponent's team, lol. I think it's fair to say nicknaming Pokes helped me a time or two in Battles, I'd send out something that was nicknamed something completely different from what it was, and the opponent would be thrown off. For example my "Scarfchomp" never actually held a Scarf.

Lol, that reminds me of when, as a kid, me and my friend used to catch Magikarps, Zigzagoons, and Zubats and give them names like "DRAGONITE," "MEWTWO," "MEW," "CELEBI," "RAYQUAZA," and "MEWTHREE" (by the way, we didn't invent that last one; it's probably one of the most famous fake Pokemon - i.e. not created by Game Freak).

Years
    i certainly do. i do sometimes have a hard time trying to come up with names. in my pokemon XD gale of darkness game i have

umbreon-lol..now i can't remember it. so nevermind on him

delcatty-artemis

houndour-hades

gulpin-goob

hmmm. my brain sems to be blank. that's all i can think of. oh wait. hahaha.. a spheal named Posiedon.
    i really like greek mythology in case you couldn't tell.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I only nickname Pokemon who are truly special to me. My level 100 Blaziken kicked a level 100 Marill's ass with one hit! With a fire move! So I nicknamed him Unbeatable Flame (U.Flame) and now have him in my Black.

I also nicknamed my Oshawott, Revolver, The opportunity was perfect!

Now I need to come up with a special name for my shiny Tengela.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    I nickname everyone I train, starting out unimaginative (Meet BLAZE the Blaziken, guys) and eventually getting better (REQUIEM THE KYUREM LAYS WASTE TO YOUR ARMIES).

Some get "human" names (James the Luxray, Rory the Arcanine, Heather the Breloom...), some get more obscure human names (Siobhan the Ninetales, Izumi the Mienshao...) some get mythological/historical/literary names (Dante the Charizard, Amphitrite the Samurott, Ishtar the Cofagrifus...),and some get references to other video games in the form of names (Kain and Cecil, the duo of Zekrom and Reshiram; Volug the Mightyena, Cloud the Manectric...).

I once tried nicknaming everything I caught, but I started running out of names and wound up staring at my DS while trying to think of something I hadn't already used.

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
    It depends on my mood. Sometimes, I name them after fictional characters, or give them silly names. (I had a Butterfree named Pimpzilla and a Ampharos named MEGASHEEP, lol) I've named my Snivy Excalibur, like the annoying character from Soul Eater. But sometimes I like giving them human names, either English or Japanese. Whatever I do, I usually do it with a theme.

I want to name a Mewtwo "Metapod" sometime though. Just to mess with my friends. :3

Years
    I often nickname them but not always.
    Some Pokémon I don't like nicknamed at all >< for example legendaries. My only nicknamed Legendary is Reshiram (called Reshi) which I got in a trade.
    I also didn't want my Eeveelutions nicknamed. Or, if anything, all or non u.u but anyway I preferd non so they could keep their "eon" to keep them like a group.
    Pikachu stayed Pikachu because.. well because its Pikachu D:
    Other than that most of my Pokémon are nicknamed but there are always still a few who I didn't nickname.
    My Vulpix didn't get nicknamed cause I like her just that way.
    The only few I can think of right now without a nickname are Wartortle, Taurus, Wailord, Relicanth.. and a few more u.u

My Grovyle isn't actually nicknamed either. It's called "Reptain" which is the german name for it. Its one of the very few german names I prefered over the english one.

My Swampert is called Lucky which is kind of irretating me by now ^^"
    Mudkip was my first Pokémon and I called it Lucky for the start of the journey. That Swampert got delete by a friend ._." so later on when i trained a new one I named it after my old Lucky.. the reason why its weird for me by now is that my boyfriend uses Lucky as his online name and.. idk it feels kind of weird when I refer to my Swampert as "Lucky" >,<"

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
    My Swampert is called Lucky which is kind of irretating me by now ^^"
    Mudkip was my first Pokémon and I called it Lucky for the start of the journey. That Swampert got delete by a friend ._." so later on when i trained a new one I named it after my old Lucky.. the reason why its weird for me by now is that my boyfriend uses Lucky as his online name and.. idk it feels kind of weird when I refer to my Swampert as "Lucky" >,<"

Well, at least your dog isn't named Lucky... that would be most unfortunate. XD

I forgot to mention, my first pokemon, back when I got Red for Christmas, was a Charmander that I wanted to name "Smokey". However, being a dumb little kid who only knew how to spell my spelling words in school, I misspelled it "Smooky". Hence, my username that affectionately refers to my first partner. ^_^ I never trained anything but Smooky, so he was easily level 100 by the time I beat the Elite Four.
    Then, when I transfered him to Gold, I made like 30 clones of him using the duplicate cheat... I gave a "Smooky" to each of my friends. They didn't mind my stupidly named level 100 Charizard. :P

Lolipiece

Burst Warrior
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    Always. I even have a different pattern between games.

In Black, I add a "-are" suffix to their names.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I just don't do it if I'm not being creative, I sit there for ages thinking of a good name when I could be using that time training. If I plan before hand however because I sometimes do that plan my team & their nicknames before starting an actual game, then I can.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back