• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname?

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I used to never do it, but since I started doing challenges, I always nickname unless I have no intention of ever using the Pokemon.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I used to not nickname my Pokemon, but recently I've started doing so. I only give nicknames to my permanent team members that I've grown attached to as I don't see the point of nicknaming Pokemon that go in the PC never to come back out. The nicknames usually are derived from the species of Pokemon or from their appearances.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
    I don't nickname any of my Pokemon since I'm terrible for coming up with names, in general. (Usernames/Nicknames etc.)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I nickname every single Pokémon. Even ones I'm breeding that will never be used. Usually it's whatever name comes to mind, unless I'm theme-naming a team. And they're almost always real people names. Actually let me just boot up X and read a few...

Tanni, Jared, Nathan, Jeremy, Helen, Satoshi, Surge, Jimmy, Antoinette, Clara, Dale, Yan, Axel, Ezra are all hanging out in one of my boxes. My main team was Rachel, Amanda, Flynn, Emma, Anthony, and Blaziken (no nickname event torchic ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥). My secondary team was Pamela, Harry, Riley, Andy, Larry, and Kinniekins (from Shauna).

So literally. Anything that comes to mind. And I try not to repeat, which leads to uncommon or maybe not actual names but hey. They're all my bbys. And it's fun to know that I have that kind of ridiculous knowledge bank of names in my brain.

Years
    This is the first game I have actually went out of my way to nickname pokemon, but it's also the first game I have caught and/or hatched my own shinies.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I nickname almost all of my Pokemon. The reason for the name depends on the Pokemon. For example, my Fennekin is named Margaret, after the character Margaret Sadovsky from the book Foxfire, because in the book Margaret started a gang called Foxfire, and Fennekin is a fire fox, so, haha.
    Sometimes though I'll just take a chunk of the Pokemon's species name, find a real name with that same chunk of letters, and give that name to that Pokemon. It makes some pretty cute sounding names. . . Like Ivy the Snivy~ =w=

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
    Years
    When I was younger I would but not too often. Just things like Pika, Charmie or something silly like that. Now that I'm catching up to series and have 3 new generations to learn nicknames would just make it hard for me to learn and remember them all.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Have been nicknaming ever since Gen III, but didn't really actively doing it until late Gen IV. Now, I always nickname every pokemon I catch or breed now. Usually the name will just be either humorous, original, or just a reference (to an anime or game most likely).

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    I only nickname my Pokemon when I can think of something to name them, otherwise I just leave it be. ^ ^;

Years
    I'm a fan of thought-out nicknames (as opposed, for example, to the Quagsire I received in Wonder Trade lamely monikered "I HATE QUAG"). They don't have to be particularly good, but just the fact that one would take the time to come up with something to personally call their favourite Pokémon is well by me. Bonus points for unique names.

I try to name any Pokémon I actually take time to train properly. Sometimes I choose names with meaning, other times I just sound things out more or less randomly until I have something that sounds cool.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    i always nickname Pokemon when i do challenges, but other than that its not that often. i don't see any reason to do so otherwise so i just keep their names the way they are.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I ALWAYS nickname them. I find that they become more personal to you and you get more attached to them! ^^

I don't spend too much time on their nicknames. I look at their sprite and whatever name pops up in my head is what I name them :)

Magic Forest for Xerneas and Parmesan for Pikachu are my favourites. xD

MadKing

The only verdict is Vengeance.
    Years
    I always name them. A lot of pokémons, for me, have a "default" nickname (like my Nidoking is always "Arthur" and Magemite is Wave). Some are inspired in family and friends. I also do a "genre split": a male Alakazam I always name it Gandalf but a female is Magika.

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
    I kinda keep pokemon with their default names, until something memorable happens with the pokemon, for example in Gen 4 i had a Ludicolo who literally swept since turn 2 all of my friends team since then Ludicolo for me became Turbocolo. And so on. ( i always nickname my pikachu bolt)

Scandalice

now known as Sukyandaru
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2015
    I often nickname my Pokemon after anime-related things but sometimes just other references or puns. A couple of examples would be my Krookodile, named Kamina, and my shiny Bulbasaur named Lettuce.

I'm not very original >.<

Last edited:
    Back