• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • I nicknamed when I was little and first starting to play pokemon because rumors flew around at recess that if you nickname them they grow stronger. It was kinda like how there were rumors that using the female sprite in pokemon crystal gave you an advantage in catching and raising pokemon basically making your game an easier version of itself. Although I still believe the female sprite thing to be true which is why I always say female at new game screens...but thats a secret...

Years
  • I've never nicknamed a pokemon but now I plan on trying to. Right now I have X and am at the pokemon league, just training up my team before taking them on, and none are nicknamed. But i'll start breeding soon and all that and I am going to try to nickname pokemon I love from now on. Only if I know all their evolution names though, I don't know a lot of them yet.

I don't mind nicknames unless they are inappropriate.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    I name my team, and my team and Deoxys' backup only, unless it is Deoxys, which I cannot rename.
    My Greninja is Ginger, we all love red headed ninjas
    My Deoxys is Deoxys
    My Meganium is Cher and Baylee, depends on the mood I'm in, if I use to offence, I use Cher, if I use to defense, I use Baylee.
    My Sharpedo is Shreder, it's a long story.
    My Umbreon is Ursa, Avatar, The Last Airbender anyone?
    My Xerneas is Chemistry, its antlers looks like a christmas tree alright? And my science teacher made The CHEM-is-TREE, a tree with bottles of liquid that are supposed to be different chemicals but is actually water with food colouring. It looks like a Christmas tree.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I nickname all my pokemon, even ones I never use.

Some are given reference names, like Goku the Infernape or Dandy the Goodra.
    Some have real human names, like Barry the Mr. Mime or Samuel the Trevenent.
    Some have punny names, like AntHeater the Heatmor or SombrerKrow the Honchkrow.
    Some names I just give to sound cool, like Condures the Skarmory or Sol the Volcarona.
    And, every now and then, they get names that display my hatred for them, like Morlikdum the Stunfisk and Contempt the Garbodor.

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    I used to nickname every single pokemon I captured, but I guess maybe I grew out of it, or I'm not as creative, I stopped

Sage Ebock

Squirtle Squad 4 life
    Years
  • I use names as amusement and to honor my favorite things. For example, my shiny charizard x is named after my favorite of J.R.R. Tolkien's dragons, Ancalagon. Tolkien has amazing lore in most cases and I cherish his writing.

https://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Ancalagon_The_Black

(My favorite charizard to date...)

*My Greninja is named Stroker Ace after my favorite song by Lovage. (check out the music video for it if you get the chance :D Very smexy)

Last edited:

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I nicknamed my Pokemon after references, or whatever was in my head. In my Pokemon Gold, I nicknamed my Ampharos after me, I nicknamed my starter Totodile after Totodile's species name in Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal, and I named my other Pokemon after injokes from somewhere I hang out at.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I definitely nickname.

If I can come up with a good one, I give them horrible puns for nicknames.
    My Meganium, for example, is Leafin' On A Prayer.

If not, I resort to music. Usually just bands, occasionally specific members I particularly like.. when it lets me. Apparently "Tony Kakko" was too suggestive to be a nickname.

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
    Years
  • It depends. Sometimes I nickname pokemon I train names that I like, funny names, clever names, etc. It all depends on the pokemon and whether or not I get inspiration from it.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    If I have a Pokemon I'm gonna use competitively, I never go without nicknaming it. Sometimes I'll sit there for several minutes just deciding what I'm going to name it. Hell, I won't even accept a non-nicknamed trade unless I'm gonna breed off of it.

Back