• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you perpetuate your parent's beliefs?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    As kids our parents are one of our first learning tools in regards to the world around us. As we grow older our views tend to move on from that of our parents. What I am wondering is if people still now carry views that your parents have. Anything from religion, sensitive topics, politics and other views in general.

Are they the most logical views to you, have you ever stopped to wonder of your own accord?

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The biggest influence on my political and religious identity is still my father after all these years. Yeah, nowadays I'm a few degrees left of him on the political spectrum, but I still very heavily share his religious views, a very lenient form of Catholicism.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I share some of the same views, but the odd thing is that my parents taught with the "Do I say, not as I do" thing. So they taught me to follow a lot of view points that are very open minded, that even they often can disagree on themselves. Not sure if how I worded that makes sense..

Now days I do have my own beliefs and ideas that I follow, and while we do disagree at times, we also share a lot of common ground. I can stand on my own two feet, but we still share some of the same views. Because of that we can often debate, or learn from each other. It's nice, actually.

Years
    I differ from my parents in many ways, but not so much that we're far apart or anything. The main one is I was raised Catholic and questioned my beliefs at about 11 or 12, becoming at first atheist and then when I learned about agnosticism, agnostic.

My mum's also very self-conscious, as in I was invited back to the school I graduated from to receive an award earlier today, and mum was obsessed that I dress formally when I was happy to rock up in jeans and a t-shirt like everyone else.

I'm similar to my parents but I'm more towards the left - freedom of speech and all that jazz, think about things rationally rather than emotionally.

Years
    When I was growing up, my parents word was it. However, in my early teens, I started to question some of them and develop my own beliefs. Now, some I believe and some I don't.

It is a normal part of growing up and learning to stand and think on your own feet.​

Kuru

Fever Dream
    Years
    I have some of the same beliefs as my parents, but we also have firm differences in ethics and life policies.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    My parents are still married but they had completely different parenting methods, and different viewpoints on different things. I think for the most part, my beliefs mirror those of my mothers', however, there are things that I have come to on my own, namely religion.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    My mom believed people should make their own decisions in life - so yeah, I share the same beliefs.

Capris

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    My mom is very open about religious views, sexuality, and just about anything you could be open minded about. I'm okay with having these viewpoints even if they were influenced by my parents because it's impossible to say if they would have been different if I was raised differently, so there's no use trying to debate whether or not I am my own person because nothing about me is going to change because of it.

Somebody who believes we're influenced by our parents could argue that I only feel this way because I was raised to feel this way, but it wouldn't matter to me because I don't care about what could have been, I care about what is. And what is, is me having an open mind about a lot of things and I like that about me. So if my parents influenced me to think this way, I appreciate it and couldn't have asked for better.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    My mom is Christian, and my dad isn't really anything, but I'm closer my mom, so I do share the same religion as her. I'm definitely not a 100% copy of her or anything though.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Both my parents were religious in God, and they even had me going to Church for a little while. But I honestly don't share the same views as them, and they respect that.

Years
    My parents always used to tell me not to drink, do drugs, and that sort of thing and I didn't. Now that I'm out on my own they worry because I don't get drunk and have never tried drugs. I don't really know what to think of all that to be honest, but I feel like regardless of what they believed I always had my own reasons for deciding on my own beliefs. I always had such a hard time speaking with them about even simple topics because we could never see eye to eye so I'm pretty sure that any beliefs I share with them are purely coincidental.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I generally don't share any views shared by my parents. Not because I'm rebellious or something, lolno, it's just that we're very different people and I am disgusted by a few of their views. We generally argue a lot, so I can't think of much that we do agree on. But we definitely do not agree on religion at all, at all. My mother is a hardcore Catholic and my father is a hardcore Christian (god knows how they manage each other) and I'm borderline agnostic. They try very hard to push their views onto me and I just don't accept them, I shouldn't need to just because they're my parents.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    The ones I agree with, I do. The ones I don't agree with, I generally agree with them where possible if my parents are around. I'd rather get along with my parents than argue with them all day about things that aren't going to change. It's not just my parents, either. I like to get along with people and that's more important to me than my thoughts on <hot political topic>, especially when my thoughts on that usually aren't going to change anything (minds or actions). If I feel like it's something I can make a difference in, I might speak out about it, but I usually keep it to respectful disagreement.

Gamedudebt

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Well my parents are Catholic but I'm an Atheist, we have nearly the same Political views, we usually agree on most things, but I have a different view on the world in general than them.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Ha.

Religion was a big part of my childhood, being rasied in a Catholic household and all. They weren't happy when I told them I was athiest, nor are they know, a year later.

Years
    This is a bit of a paradox, in a way, we all emulate our parents to a degree because we grew up with them and were raised by them, so that influences us. But on the other side, we tend to rebel against them in some aspects, (the whole Teenage angst thing) because we don't agree with their beliefs, and kids begin to break away and develop their own value and belief system.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Actually, I agree with what my parents believes. Like everyone says here. they're the first one to influence us. Even if they are the first one, it doesn't mean that they're wrong in a sense.

Back