• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you Plan out your Team

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    Ok to make a long story short.
    my cousin (Adam) plans the six pokemon he is going to use before he even gets the game by researching everything about them.
    While i control my self and wait for the game to come out and catch what i think is strong or looks cool, well he came over yesterday and had recently brought pearl (he had diamond and Platinum) so he could have 3 teams one with every starter while we were talking about his options i though do other people plan there teams out. So leave some comments.

So do you go in blind or knowing everything

Last edited:

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
    I prefer to go in blind, but I usually end up looking up the locations of certain Pokemon and plan out my team.
    I tried my best to not do that for HG and SS but I'm not doing a very good job. I already spoiled the Safari Zone for myself. :P

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    With HGSS i asked one question Is poliwag available and thats it untill it comes out im not knowing anything like there was a what team are you going to have thread but im not going to follow that i change my mind to often

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
    The first time I play a game I tend to go in blind. But after that first time I tend to plan out my team before going into the game.

luxray_12

Loving the originals
    Years
    When I first got Pearl I went in blind because I didn't know any of the new Pokemon so I wanted to surprise myself. But when Platinum came around I planned one.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I don't plan out exact Pokemon, but I do have a general layout that I always follow. My team must consist of a Flying type, Ground type, and Electric type. There must be a Surf/Waterfall/Whirlpool/Dive HM slave.

I just found the first one of each type I could find in Platinum, and it went very well. The unexpected additions of Close Combat on Staraptor, Crunch on Luxray, and Stone Edge on Golem helped me cover a variety of types I would otherwise be unable to cover.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I used to plan out almost every little detail, even gender and names. I don't do that anymore, though. Sometimes I'll keep a potential team in mind, but if something comes along and changes my mind, I'll usually go with that.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
    I prefer to just walk in the game blind, rather than planning it out. Like, I'll probably have a starter planned out if it's a generation I'm familiar with. But other than that, I'll just catch what seems cool at the time, use it in battles for a while and see if I like using. If not, it's off to the PC. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Oh, but if I decide to restart the game it's always, always a new team - right down to which starter I choose.

Years
    Whats planning?
    XD

Anyway, I think what HallwayKid said pretty much sums up what I do. Mind you when I 'plan my teams' I just make my mind up about how to balance type-wise. I don't really do this competitive battling, unless with my brother or friends. Nothing serious.

Painter

BEWARE THE LETTUCE CHILDREN!
    Years
    i try to plan it out usually but everytime i do it gets messed up by me finding a shiny or something like that, that i just have to use and it just changes my whole team

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    For the longest time I didn't do any planning at all, since it was usually just my starter with a bunch of random catches/things I liked as backups.

Around the time I got Diamond, though, I changed things up and started planning. It's not too meticulous, though, it's based on a few simple criteria:

1. It's something I like and haven't used before (when I started Emerald I realized I had never used a Ghost-type before, now I have a Sableye)
    2. I can get some type variety in
    3. Can I get a nice color variety? An all-blue team, for example, just seems kinda boring.

Usually I try to learn a little about what kinds of moves might work out nicely for my team, just so I can plan for the future- for example, I just picked up a used copy of Colosseum and today I found out Octillery can use Flamethrower. So I've decided my team will have a Flamethrowering Octillery.

I also tend to think of nicknames, whether I want to or not, since my imagination works on its own schedule.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I always plan my in-game team ahead of time by looking up what kind of pokemon are in the E4 and plan on six pokemon with significant advantages over everything. :P

When it comes to my more...competitive teams...they usually just pop up from the pokemon that I use the most. XD

Mutt19

Kill confuse ray not golbat
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    I usually make a plan and figure out which pokémon will take over surf an which one uses fly which is why quagsire is a pokemon I use a lot and if I really want to use a certain pokemon then I do or there will be a delay of that pokemon

ATM the Mudkip

A Mudkip
    Years
    I thought I was the only one to do that! I always plan what Pokemon that seem appealing to me for that game, and makes sure they can learn all the HM's. I hated before having to get rid of one of my Pokemon so that I could have one that could learn fly, so I started planning.

Back