• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you play an instrument?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
  • I play all types of Saxophones, Trumpets, Trombones, Clarinet..basically any woodwind and brass except Flutes...and bagpipes lolol. I also play the piano and guitar. Harmonica, too!

Saxophones and Piano are definitely my best, with my favorite being the Tenor Sax- which I've been playing for nearly 12 years, and Altos before that because Tenors were too big lol.

I forget what my influences were...don't think I really had any. My elementary school band teacher was a pretty well known sax player and suggested it to me. I just picked up the rest from being in band for 12 years.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I've been around music my whole life, lol. I started playing the piano at around the age of four, since became a profession in the instrument. Around ten, I managed to get into guitar, I've been playing ever since, wouldn't call my self a professional guitarist, since there's still some I could learn. Electronics is my main field, anything with keys or knobs on it. I own Two Microkorgs, a Microkorg XL, Roland AX, A few Kaos-Pads, Korg MS1, Traktor S2, DJm2ooo....list goes on for pages, lol...

OriginGiratina

Dragon-type Trainer
    Years
  • I'm playing electric guitar and I'm trying to learn but It's too hard for me and everything confuses me. Ok maybe I'll learn.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jan 10, 2012
    I've been playing guitar and piano for over a year now, and I've been singing for as long as I can remember.

It seems like a few people have mentioned they'd like to learn guitar; I've found it's really not all that hard. If anyone's interested, a while ago I wrote an in-depth guide for a friend of mine who also wanted to learn that I'm willing to PM to aspiring guitarists.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I play the bassoon, and have been playing for five years. I play it in my college's concert band.

I've been playing instruments for 11 and a half years now, though. Started on the trumpet, then played the clarinet (7 years ago I started it), and then I got to mess around with saxophone (an broken one =/), and then shortly after that was when I started the bassoon.

Although trumpet and bassoon are the only two I have played in ensembles.

Iced

Aspiration
    Years
  • I play guitar and bass (5-string bass in my avatar). I also do vocals. I'm highly influenced by technical deathcore/death metal bands such as Born of Osiris, The Faceless, and Obscura.

Years
  • I play a few instruments but I'm not really good at any of them.

Piano I played from Prep until Year 6. I've taught myself a couple of songs on the piano since then (Midna's Desperate Hour from Twilight Princess and a cover of the Explosions In The Sky song Your Hand In Mine) but I don't really play it much anymore. This is probably the most complex thing I can still play (though it's mostly from memory, I probably wouldn't be able to learn another song like this unless I got lessons again). I really would like to get good at piano again, though, there's so many songs that I wish I could play but can't.

Drums are probably the instrument I enjoy playing the most. I'm adequate at the drums, as in I can play a variety of beats and improvise, but I don't hold the drum sticks the right way or know the proper technique of drumming (as I'm self-taught), so until I get lessons I won't be able to improve. I'm currently learning to play this, albeit at a much slower speed (that isn't me by the way XD).

With the bass guitar, I don't know any cool techniques. I still can't play the Seinfeld theme song which was the main reason I picked up bass in the first place (aha, not entirely true but it was definitely an incentive to learn the bass), so I pretty much play simple basslines. I play bass in a band at the moment - most of the basslines are similar-sounding to this.

As for guitar, I've grown terrible at it due to not playing it for a couple of years. Like piano, there's one impressive-sounding song that I remember (which is this) and the rest is all just rubbish.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I started at the piano at like... seven or eight. I hated it, so I stopped, eventually, but I started up a couple of years ago. I've been playing for eight-ish years, I think. I never kept track of exactly how long; I don't really like piano, and it's an okay instrument to me. However, the instrument that I really love is the trumpet. I've been playing for five (more like four and a half) years now. At first, I hated it, and wanted to quit as soon as I could. Thankfully, my parents convinced me to keep on playing for at least another year. I am so thankful for that :') It's now pretty much my life XD I plan to join an orchestra, and hopefully a pretty high ranking one. I wanna play in the London Philharmonic orchestra, but that's not gonna happen XD I would also like to join the American Military band. Orchestras that play the music for movies and TV shows would also be nice.

I play the trumpet in my band, and am also in Jazz Band and Symphonic Band. I also recently—meaning today—got selected for County Band, so I was blown out of my mind and freaking out :P In school, once, people from another school and a higher grade came to play a concert for us. This was also to get us to try out for band, so afterwards people let us try the instruments and there were sign up sheets. I don't know, but... I was just drawn instinctively to the trumpets. Call it Fate.

This (it's a link, in case your forum style makes it hard to see ^_^ ) is also a very beautiful song, which relies heavily on the trumpet, that demonstrates what kind of music I would like to be able to play.

Sorry, that turned into a life rant -_- Anyways, I love the trumpet, as you can see, and so I like to blabber on about it :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I play both Ukulele and Guitar... I am better at the former, but I can play either in front of groups of people. I don't usually play very many songs by other people, I instead tend to use a little awesome thing called "Chord Theory" (Aka, make up good music on the spot theory.)

Most of my Ukulele playing is done on a Tenor Ukulele (It's a Fender, and has a pickup... Coolest thing EVER on a Ukulele!). But I also own a Soprano Pineapple Ukulele. Most of my compositions are Adagio bluesy contemporary and jazz progressions that use an offset series of chords that sound similar to the style commonly used by game artists (A good example of what kind of theory this is would be "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Romance in the air", and no, I don't play that well...), or Allegro rockish tones.

My Guitar theory is limited, but I tend to play with the lower half of the neck, more in Allegro Bluesy progressions. I also sometimes spam Power Chords in the background of other music to play heavy metal riffs. (Easiest way to sound impressive... Ever.)

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I play some keyboard. I had a couple of lessons (literally) as well as the excuse of what they call teaching of it at high school, so basically self taught. Did have a hiatus but got back into it last year slowly. Been playing some game tunes (National Park, Sammer's Kingdom and Godot's Theme some recent tunes). I'm not that good but I do enjoy the struggle of slowly mastering a tune, and that's what counts I suppose - enjoyment!

As a kid I also played the recorder. Had some pretty good year 2 teachers for that in particular, and they made it pretty fun.

In Fair Verona

4BR4 C4D4V3R
    Years
  • I can play quite a few instruments at a basic level, but only a couple well. I took up learning piano when I was about 9, and stuck to that for a few years, getting lessons, but I guess I grew out of them, and lost interest in it. When I was 10, I started taking drum lessons, and had one per week until I was 13, when I moved house, and couldn't make it to the lessons any more. At this point, the only instruments I had started to play had been through lessons, which would never happen again. Halfway through 2009, I broke my leg - just in time for the summer break between school years - and I was told that I should try to not move much.

I spent most of the time talking to friends that came around to my house, and one of them bought a flute over one day. The conversations we had got me interested in learning to play the flute, so, for the six weeks that I had to essentially sit still for, I sat around teaching myself flute. That Christmas, my father bought me a guitar, which came as a surprise, so I started learning that, thinking that I had finally found an instrument that I would stick with.

Which, as it turns out, I hadn't. Towards the end of 2010, I took up playing bass, which I am still teaching myself to play. I try to practice most days, unless college work gets in the way. I suppose I should see if there are any music clubs there that I could join.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Let's see, I started playing clarinet when I was in third grade. I grew out of it and switched to flute around sixth, then I stopped because, well I sort of SUCKED at the flute. I started playing drums after that, and I got my first guitar in seventh grade and taught myself. I play bass as well. I do play in a band, but it's more an off an on thing and doesn't really go anywhere. It's pretty much just jam sessions.

In total I own six guitars (Four electric, two acoustic), and two bass guitars. Though I do favor one guitar, it's my Schecter Omen. I love that thing, it's so comfortable to play and it sounds great.

Gamzee

light my fire
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    I've been playing the bass guitar for a little over a year. I'm not like a master or anything and I doubt I could play in front of a crowd, but it's nice to sit in my room and jam out from time to time.

I tried to learn the guitar before the bass, but it just didn't work out.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    ARIA

I can play piano a little, only the basic stuff. That's pretty much only instrument I learned to play.
    I tried to learn other instrument, such as flute and violin, but I wasn't very successful with learning them, at all.
    I can also play little bit of harmonica, if that count as the musical instrument.

Halmtier

THE HOBO
    Years
  • I used to play Clarinet in School, but now play Drums and sometimes keyboard for a band with some friends. Nothing to serious, but I did take piano classes for the keyboard for a bit. My Step father is a professional Guitar player, and my mother plays harp and Piano, so our family is very musical.

Years
  • I've played piano for just over thirteen years now, a long time. I didn't really enjoy learning how to play for the sake of doing exams, but now that I'm finished with them I can just play for enjoyment. Having said that, my musical interest lies outside most classical music and so on so I don't get to play much piano nowadays, except for one of my college classes.
    I also play Ukulele, having been inspired by The Blanks and Kate Micucci's appearances on Scrubs. The first song I learned how to play was their cover of Hey Ya by Outkast.

I can play a little bit of guitar, and as a result, bass too. I'd love to be able to sing, though.

Back