• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you REALLY care for graphics?

Is a game with bad graphs bad?

• Yeah, its horrible...

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • If the gameplay, story etc. are good, then no.

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • I really dont care at all.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
  • I can't say they really play a big part in deciding what games I play, some of my favorite games have pretty old graphics <3 But, there is a limit at how blocky I will go XD; Some games are just too... hard to look at for my tastes. But for the most part, story line and characters play a muuuuch bigger part.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Actual graphical power isn't very important, but poor art design can be a real turn-off, assuming that any degree of immersion is intended.

Senjistar

Dazzling ;)
    Years
  • It all depends on the game. If it's a 3-d game, then I say yes I care. 2-d classics nope it really doesnt matter if you can tell wth it is.

Guitar God in Training

Glam Metal Rules
    Years
  • Gameplay is way more important than the graphics of a game but sometimes the graphics can make the feeling of the game much better and can enhance the atmosphere of a game.

For example, TLOZ: Twilight Princess has amazing gameplay but wouldn't be as good if it had the same graphics as Ocarina of Time because the atmosphere is amazing in the game. Blocky graphics would ruin that effect.

In my opinion, Gameplay and Graphics are vital to a game, but graphics can be sacrificed to allow more time for the producers to enhance the gameplay.

Unforunately, some newer games take the opposite approach and sacrifice gameplay so they can produce better graphics. What's the point in awesomely reallistic graphics if the gameplay sucks and the game is half as long because the producers want it to look nice.

We buy games to play not to watch.

bruom

Wee! Holidays! I'll get a Wii!
    Years
  • hmmm we have here many people exposing their toughts =]
    ive created this thread because im about to get a wii, and my friends keep saying: "dont do it! the price isnt worth the bad graphs! doesnt matter how fun the game is, if its ugly its bad". As you can see, they think a game with bad graphs is bad... and im sure it is not necessarly bad. i got very angry with them, so i wanted to see if more people agree with me that graphics arent all, and seeing that many people think so, i feel better ;]
    and yeah Guitar God in Training, youre right. games are for playing, not watching!

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2008
    It really depends. If the games graphics are so bad you can't tell whats going on, or there boring, then yes, it does affect how much I like the game

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I'm a real graphics guy, but if eveything else is good, then the game should be good too.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Depends on the game. If it looks like something that wouldn't pass as acceptable in the '90s, it's bad -- if the graphics are so mediocre or horrible that they make the game thoroughly unenjoyable to play, then the game's bad. If they're just ordinary standard, or a bit subpar, but the gameplay is so much fun that you don't pay attention, it doesn't matter. Likewise, if it's eye candy but miserable to play or the dialogue/plot/etc. makes me die inside, it's a terrible game, but I'll stare at the box art. XD But if I'm going to strain my eyes unforgivably to play a game, can it at least not set my retinas on fire?

A personal thing that ticks me off is something like, say, Final Fantasy X -- so very detailed and pixelled that it gets too busy and hurts my eyes. From a distance, the game's gorgeous, but up close and personal, well, I'm not too fond of it. I actually really like 2D and cel-shaded. I don't like it when the graphics are so 'beautiful' they take over the game. Also, I HATE it when in some games, the walls are made of paper practically and the character keeps sticking their hand through it. ><;

Years
  • Well I don't know care for graphics but I have a better experience with better Graphic games

Carameldansen LOL funny I haven't seen that

Last edited:

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Yes, if the graphics are of bad quality, theres no point in playing the game seeing as you'll be looking at them mostly

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • As long as they don't give me a headache (or worse make my head implode) or don't make it hard to tell what it is I'm looking at, I'm fine. Especially since i prefer the good ol 2D 16 bit games, why everything has to be 3D and omg grfax!!!1!!11! now is beyond me and I don't much care for it, not saying I don't play #D games though, i just get tired hearing people complain about it

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Well, I hang out in the Graphics section here at PC mostly, so I am a bit of a graphics nut. Good Graphics is a bit of a bonus, but I've played the classic LoZ Time and Time again, and practically never found it boring, barely noticing the extremely pixelated graphics. Sure, comparing Brawl to the classic Super smash Brothers, Brawl would win, but just because the graphics are better, doesn't mean that Brawl gains a sure fire win. So, I suppose you could say I Appreciate good graphics, but I don't care if the graphics are bad, as I am usually too busy with the gameplay. Woah, after that post, I think I might play more on my new game of NES classics, LoZ!

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2008
    Not really, although if a game has great graphics then I usually enjoy it more.

PsyMaster

Your mind is mine to control.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 21, 2016
    I dont care about graphics, the graphics can be really good and look mad realistic but if the game is trash, whats the point? As long as the game is good, then whatever but as scorcher said, i also enjoy the game more if it has great graphics.....and is a good game

Years
  • Graphics make a game look better, but they don't make the game better. I like seeing nice graphics, but what I consider to be nice graphics is very broad. A Link to the Past had nice graphics. Final Fantasy VI had nice graphics. Ocarina of Time had nice graphics. Paper Mario, Banjo Kazooie, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Guitar Hero III, Super Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker, and even Wii Sports had nice graphics. Each game listed does well with the graphics it tries to do. That doesn't necessarily mean the fancier the better.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Graphics are very important to me, but not in the same way that they are to a lot of other people. Some idiots I know just look at the resolution, color density, and polygon count to judge graphics. That's not judging graphics, that's judging technical impressiveness. This screen shot shows one of the graphically best games there ever was: Loom. No, the technology isn't good by today's standards, but it's tons better than a lot of current stuff aesthetically. I consider the aesthetics of a game's art and sound to be very important, but I couldn't care less about how advanced a game's graphics are technologically.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • I partially agree with icomeanon6. I think a lot of the "good graphics" is good design and not all technology. Fro example, I liked the graphics on Zelda Wind Waker much more than those on Twilight Princess; I've never liked games that try to be too photorealistic. It tends to make them a bit dark and dull. Also, I have no problem with playing 2D-games or N64-games with blocky graphics and a bit wierd textures, or FF7 and FF8, which are kind of horrible, actually. They're one of the best games ever made.

On the other hand, graphics DO have a certain "wow-factor" to them, that makes a game even better, as we see with FF8:s videos and many openings on DS games (that make you go: this little thing can do THIS? WOW!). Still, I now have an awesome-looking DS game FF crystal chronicles: Ring of fates, that had an opening that made me go "ooh", and a PMD Blue Rescue Team with a lot crappier and funnier graphics, and guess which one I've played all day?
    Yes, the latter one.

Back