• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you speak multiple languages?

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
  • My primary language is English. Though I'm learning spanish in school bit-by-bit. I also speak canine, dragon, and gibberish.

Years
  • English, high school French, conversational Mandarin, and occasionally Japanese, but I can understand it more than I can speak it.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • English, and Cantonese (except writing, which I forgot most of). High school french as well I guess, but that equates to nothing at all lol.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I grew up speaking English. I kind of wish I could've been raised to be bilingual but neither of my parents know another language beyond the basic French all Canadians learn so that's a no-go... and we moved around too much for me to end up in an immersion school or anything. (When I finally did end up in French Immersion, it was only for 4 months before we moved to an area that didn't have it.)

Probably like all Canadians in this thread, I speak a bit of French. I learnt it for about a decade in school, on and off, but I haven't used it much at all in years since I hate how it's taught in my university. :/ Almost minored in it but realized I don't actually like the language all that much. I'm glad I know it, but I don't keep up with it at all so I'm forgetting it pretty quickly. I can still read it pretty well, only needing to look up a word here and there. I can also understand it when it's spoken to me (so long as it's not Québecois spoken really quickly, ick). I can't respond very well, though, and if I had to hold an actual conversation in French I'd probably be floundering pretty quickly.

The third language I know is Japanese. My vocabulary is really dismal, but generally I can get by okay. And by get by, I mean when I watch things in Japanese, I'm usually okay to get the gist of everything no problem. Complicated things still trip me up a bit. My listening is a lot better than my reading which is a lot better than my spoken skill. I'm taking classes again for the first time in a while, though, so all of these are improving again. My kanji is pretty weak, though. I know a decent amount but in such a mixed manner: half the kanji I know, I know the meaning of it but not how it's read and the other half I know how to read it in a given context but have no idea what it means. Also the words I do know are so ridiculous because the majority of my practise is from playing video games, so I know all these weird, JRPG-ish terms but useful, everyday terms completely elude me haha.

There are plenty of languages I'd like to learn. I'm taking a fast-tracked Korean course next summer and I'm really excited about that. I'd also really like to learn Chinese (Mandarin) but it seems so daunting I'm not sure I ever will. :(

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Nope. Just English.

I live in a heavily Italian area, so my grade school offered Italian classes. So, I took those. ...being the only person in the class who didn't speak it at home and wasn't apparently already fluent really put me at a disadvantage. Depending on the year, the teacher decided either to move really fast and I didn't understand a thing. Or just not bother because everyone but me knew Italian, and we ended up playing Bingo instead. Also had some really really bad teachers who were like... confused deathly ill ancient Italian ladies who basically just said "hi" to us.

Then with French, because we're a bilingual country, and we're taught French in school... I also know nothing. Grade school was useless. Same stuff every year. French bingo. Word searches. How to use a dictionary. Learn about the winter festival in Quebec (I got to be Bonhomme one year!). Basically they baby sat us while our actual teacher went to the teacher's lounge. Oh we watched some trippy video with a magical pineapple in it. Had no clue what was going on there. Didn't actually learn how to read or speak though XD It was just to kill time. Which was so not helpful because my high school teacher took this all very seriously and I had not a clue what was going on. Tried my hardest and scrapped by. Was only required to take it once in high school. So, haven't done a thing with it since.

Actually for French in grade school, my classes seemed to be very proficient in harassing teachers so that we'd have nothing accomplished. Lots of provoking and starting arguments and having stuff thrown around the room. Not entirely useful :X

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just english, some spanish though from school. But yeah, I don't really have an interest in learning a new language.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I can speak English and Tagalog, the latter gives me difficulties, though that is the language I speak at school. I'm currently learning Dutch and French, though learning Dutch is more, um, important to me than mastering French. I tried learning Italian as well, since it was very easy to learn for me, but I gave up after a week. I plan to get back on it soon when I master French, which will be for a long time, haha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I'm from Czech Republic so my main language ought to be Czech... well... but in fact I'm starting to use English more xD
    But native is Czech.
    I know English, pretty good Japanese (improving pretty quickly) and a bit of German.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
    Years
  • Dutch is my native language, but I speek English fluently. I can also speak French and German!
    Might take Spanish class or something someday!

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I speak English and Spanish. But through learning Spanish... I understand how languages work and could easily put my efforts into learning another language. It really isn't that hard when you actually understand how to SPEAK the language rather than just regurgitate it.

My Pico

Can I taste your whip cream?
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    I speak American yo. American Ghetto language yo.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I pretty much only speak English, the little bit of Spanish I remember from over 10 years ago, and limited amounts of Japanese (usually just single words) that I pick up from my obsessive anime watching.

So, in normal everyday conversation, no. English is all I speak normally. What sucks was that I did very well in my Spanish classes when I took them but it's just been so long since my last one.

Back