• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you still have your cartridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    While cleaning out my closet, I found all my old cartridges. My two Blue, two Silver, one Gold, one American Yellow, and one Japanese Yellow. I have no idea if any of them still work or not, but I at least have the cartridges.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Oh I still have them and I'll always have them. Unfortunately Gold is just worn out and it doesn't save anymore, so that sucks kind of but it's no problem cause it's the cart itself that has value for me anyway. Funnily enough my Yellow still works like a charm though, probably because I've taken care of it so well because I just LOVED it and actually I was playing it a minute or two ago XD

Years
  • @Yoshikkko
    It's possible to replace the battery in the cartridge and it will save again. It's about a $1-$2 fix, depending where you get the battery from. There's a seller on eBay that sells the batteries $1 with Free Shipping in the U.S. Definitely worth it. :D

Works for all GBC and GBA pokemon games that won't save anymore. From what I've heard, the battery keeps the cartridge powered constantly for ~15 years (~6 for Gen II) and THAT is what keeps your save on the cartridge. As soon as the battery is removed or dies, the save is gone forever. There is also a gadget you can get from Asia that will let you dump your save file to your computer (but it's like $20. Worth it for me to keep my childhood alive xD ).

Changing the battery is easy, and it uses Scotch tape (easiest, not the MOST secure hold) or a soldering iron (slightly more difficult if you don't have or don't know how to use one, but should last for another ~15 years). Really, the hardest part is getting the cartridge open. I don't think there's a screwdriver for the screw in GBC games, though there IS one for the GBA ones.

There's many tutorials out there, just Google it :D

Sorry, back on topic. I'm looking to buy some first gen Japanese cartridges :D I'm gonna "Collect 'em all!"

Years
  • I have my Yellow, Blue, Red, Gold, Silver, and Crystal cartridges. They all work except my Red and Crystal but I keep them anyway.

Clone25

I wish I didnt have to grow up
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2012
    I still have Red, but it's corrupted... I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I want to fix it! Other than that I only have replacements of old games - Yellow, Blue, and Crystal. Also I have Pokemon Stadium, and I have the 'dex completed on Yellow.
    you can fix it. ive done it with a gold cartridge. you've got to open the cartridge and carefully remove the tongs on the dead battery and replace it with the same kind but bind the tongs back on the battery with some kind of bind (tape).

Years
  • Was cleaning out my gaming draw the other day and found all the old games, from Red/Blue through to the most recent.

I forgot I had them all! Might start playing Pokemon Yellow again! :O​

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • I still have them all, except I have none for gen 2 because I never owned Silver/Gold, and Crystal is with an ex-friend of mine. ; w ; Other than that I have all of my Pokemon cartridges still, though. They all still work, none of their batteries are running dry, because I'm not someone who plays them much past beating the E4.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I still have all but one of my original cartridges (Red, Blue [lost this one with my first gameboy], Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Sapphire, Snap, and Stadium 2). I don't actually use them anymore since I play everything via emulator now. I still keep them, but they're collecting dust on my nightstand/hidden away in one of my storage bins.

rITual

We're only animals.
    Years
  • I still have Red. I never encountered the glitch or corruption issues so I guess I'm lucky.

My cousin had blue and yellow but sold them. I'd never sell mine, ever.

Years
  • I love the bond pokemon players develop with their cartridges. I have a huge attraction to my Pokemon Blue, and I would be devastated if I ever lost it. Still have my very first pokemon (:

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2020
    I still have R,B,Y and Gold, although I lost Blue somewhere in my house, I know it's there but I can't find it lol. They all work fine but the Red one isn't very reliable.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Still got the cartridges for : Red, Yellow, Silver (Won't work ;'( it's my favourite), Sapphire, Platinum, Pearl and White.
    All the others I either sold, lost, broke or gave away.
    I remember I gave my Crystal to some random kid at a Sports camp, I think I cried a couple days later when I wanted it back.

Xynz01

LEGEN. Wait for the DARY
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2012
    I do have still my Blue, Red, and Yellow cartridges. Yellow seems to be broken cause it's always corrupting my save. Blue and Red still works fine. That's all the cartridges that I own cause Silver, Gold, Pearl and Diamond was only borrowed lol.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Yep. ^_^ I've still got my Crystal and my shiny Tangela with it! Surprisingly not dead yet. I also have my Blue with my team of glitches!

Cloyster93

who's gun is this rifle?
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 24, 2015
    Still got Blue, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, and Leaf Green.

Not sure what happened to my Red/Crystal versions. :(

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
  • I still have my Pokémon Blue cartridge, still working and everything... I have a feeling that the battery will dry out soon; something that I'm really not looking forward to. As for Gold, Silver, and Crystal, I still have those too. Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are all together also. I have two of each GBA game just in case the battery runs out. xD I have all of my GBC and GBA cartridges in small cases for display too, haha.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back