• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still like to watch VHS tapes?

Guest123_x1

Even as I transitioned to DVD and now Blu-Ray, I, after all these years, like to watch some of my old VHS movies every once in a while (a lot of them are the older Disney Animated Classics, which my mom bought me when I was little.) However, since I only have one VCR now, I'm focusing on transferring my VHS collection (including 'blank' tapes that I recorded programs off the air to) to DVD (I have a video capture device to do that, which I initially bought in order to transfer some of my more precious tapes in case something bad should happen to those tapes.)
    Indeed, my mom still recorded TV programs to VHS until earlier this year, when her VCR broke down and I finally had to buy her a DVR (and no, it's not a TiVO, but rather, a plain-jane unit designed with a digital broadcast tuner, which also replaced her converter box.)

Years
  • I have bunch of VHS tapes from when I was little. Most of them are Disney movies, but there are the occasional live action films in there. I particularly like my VHS Star Wars trilogy collection, even though it's the one where they edited Han Solo to shoot after Greedo. Han shot first.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Every now and then I do, cause it's really nostalgic! I have a DVD/VHS player in my dad's old bedroom and it lets my family revive old memories from our favorite movies and shows that we don't own on DVD, and moments from our childhood! I think if I ever have kids, I'm introducing them to the VCR so they can see what we had to deal with at their age. They'll probably find the quality of the footage awful and having to rewind the tapes so tedious and painful. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2019
    My VCR just broke and I'm sad. I have a lot of movies on VHS that weren't even released on DVD.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Every now and then I do, cause it's really nostalgic! I have a DVD/VHS player in my dad's old bedroom and it lets my family revive old memories from our favorite movies and shows that we don't own on DVD, and moments from our childhood! I think if I ever have kids, I'm introducing them to the VCR so they can see what we had to deal with at their age. They'll probably find the quality of the footage awful and having to rewind the tapes so tedious and painful. XD

What sucked was when you wanted to watch a movie but the previous person who watched it before you didn't even bother to rewind the tape. So you had to do it yourself xD
    It was worst with those really long movies LOL

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • What sucked was when you wanted to watch a movie but the previous person who watched it before you didn't even bother to rewind the tape. So you had to do it yourself xD
    It was worst with those really long movies LOL

Reminds me of this commercial. (Couldn't find a Youtube link). But yeah that was the most annoying thing. The good thing is we had this rewinder thing that let you just put the tape in and it would rewind faster than the VCR itself and would automatically stop and eject itself when done.

Guest123_x1

What sucked was when you wanted to watch a movie but the previous person who watched it before you didn't even bother to rewind the tape.
    Which is why, back during the days of VHS (and probably also Betamax) rentals, video stores would put labels on the cassettes telling the renter to "Please Rewind" after viewing the movie, before returning the tape to the video store.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Reminds me of this commercial. (Couldn't find a Youtube link). But yeah that was the most annoying thing. The good thing is we had this rewinder thing that let you just put the tape in and it would rewind faster than the VCR itself and would automatically stop and eject itself when done.

We had that too! It was in a form of a red racecar haha :D

And all this talk about VHS makes me think how long since VHS been replaced with DVD :C

Years
  • If I had any VHS tapes to watch, I probably would. But pretty much my entire collection of movies here is dvd/blu-ray, so yeah.

(Plus it doesn't help that the one VCR player here is attached to a TV that doesn't work anymore.)

But I'm pretty sure if I did have a VHS that I didn't have in another format, and I wanted to watch that movie, and could watch it, then I would gladly do so.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    When you have a working VCR player and ways of getting Vhs tapes for 10 cents a piece, why wouldn't you!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I watch A Wish for Wings that Work on VHS every Christmas. I have an old TV with a VCR attached at the bottom. Sometimes I throw in Pokemon movies. It may not be used much, but it's awesome.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I will still watch them if I only have them on VHS. I still have two working VCR's in the house and still occasionally tape something on them if I have really overdone it with the box sets and my memory card is full.

Back