• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still refer to some Pokemon by their Japanese names?

Doctor Nuzleaf

The ninja doctor
Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Only some, really, like Pokabu, Tsutarja and whatnot (really, I feel silly by saying Oshawott) and, I refuse to say Unova
    (And playing B&T DS probably helped me to learn some new Japanese names '-_-)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • No, but I keep calling human characters in this series by their Japanese names. Like Satoshi or Sakaki.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Yes, because the Black and White names were awesome, then along came localization

Bel got mutilated into Bianca
    Adeku got changed into Alder
    Bachuru became Joltik

Tsutarja, Mijumaru and Pokabu utterly destroy SmugleafSnivy, Oshawott and Tepig

and don't get me started on Geechisu, Touko and Touya

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I call Wargle by it'a japanese name too... and Pochama. I love how they probably changed Wargle's name because of the "war" part... but then theres Wartortle. -w-"
    And the other one is just fun to day~

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    I've been trying for a while to learn all of the original names for quite some time now, as I watch both the English dub and the original Japanese broadcast of the show, and also import the games.

They're also an important part of each monster's history, as they were the first names given to them, and sometimes tell a deeper tale of their origins than the other-language names, given at later dates. For instance, to fully understand the controvery with Kadabra and Uri Geller, a magician who perviously sued Nintendo, one need look to the original name of Kadabra, which romanji-izes to Yungeller, a corruption of Geller's name.

Not to mention, some are just so much cooler, and I love looking at all the wordplay and puns they use.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • No I never use the Japanese names. I know that it's because I'm not used to them, but I think Pokémons sound strange with their Japanese name :/
    I prefer the English or the French names, they sound more badass to my mind.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • No.
    The english ones are always original and have interesting word combinations, puns etc.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Sometimes I do, for example.

Mamepato - Pidove

There are others, but that's one of the ones that comes to mind. For me, it's honestly about which name I heard first.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yessssss omg. I can't name any off the top of my head right now, but a lot of gen V Pokemon I still think of in their Japanese names.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    While i tend to call them by their English names, all the pre-release buzz of Black and White got me calling some of the more frequently mentioned ones (the starters, the ones seen most in the anime, the first few available to catch etc) by their Japanese pseudonyms.
    And today I accidentally called Tepig, Pokabu. Oops xD
    I think Pokabu and Mijimaru sound better anyway. Could never properly pronounce Tsutaja mind you :D

Aurielle

Warning : Choking Hazard.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    Only if I don't know their english names. I still refer to Snivy as Smugleaf sometimes, however. The name just fits~

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I refer to to them by their Japanese names until their English name are revealed. I never really paid attention to their Japanese names until Black and White, and still , didn't memorize all of the Japanese names or even use them. It sort of irritates me when people on forums use the Japanese names cause I have no idea what Pokemon or character they're talking about and then I have to waste time to go to Google and look up them up. But that doesn't bother me that much, just annoying to have to look it up sometimes. There are some Japanese names that I prefer over the English ones. Such as, I like Pokabu instead Tepig cause it sounds more fitting. I really think they should of kept that one or change it to something similar like Porkabu or Porkbu. And also for the Straiton Trio, they could of just stayed with Dent, Corn , and Pod and for Lenora they should of stuck with Aloe.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    Yes, Because the Japanese names are something different and you can find its awesome when you are going to talk about it. For me Japanese names are more better and nice way to called them.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    the Japanese are much more fitting then the American, which are usually rather terrible puns on their type or something

Sandile: Sand Crocodile (How original, since you find it in a sand area...)

Skyla: Uses flying types (What's wrong with Fuuro? Who cares if you can't pronounce it properly, odds are you're not going to be reading it aloud anyway)

Elesa: Electric type user Ele-Electricity -sa-typical female ending...

I name my Zebraika "Kamitsure" every time I play BW

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    When I had bought the import of Black, I used the Japanese names. Now even with the English release, I constantly have a slight habit of referring to pokemon in Gen V with the Japanese names.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • I just stick to the English names becuase I have Pokemon Black and White. I do renember several Pokemon's Japanese names, but I don't use them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    I prefer the English language since that's what I used to. Never tried to use the Japanese one though -_-

Back