• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still refer to some Pokemon by their Japanese names?

Years
    I just wanna ask, do any of you still refer to certain Pokemon by their Japanese names even after the localizations get revealed?

I usually refer by Japanese name until the English name gets released.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    Just Wargle for me. I got attached to that name and think it sounds cooler than Braviary. I tried not to learn the Japanese names so I wouldn't think the English names sounded funny when they were released.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    I refer to Pokémon by their Japanese names untill the games featuring them comes out in English, much like I refer to the regions, characters, and what else there is by their Japanese names untill official English names have been given.

The only instance I've had of knowing the Japanese names was when Black and White came out in Japanese. It was a much discussed topic at the time, and since no English names had been given at the time, I'd have to refer to their Japanese names obviously.

I had a hard time going from Isshu to Unova though, mainly because I liked Isshu much better.

Cid

Years
    I came to a point where the names just shifted to their English ones in a really sudden manner. Maybe that's because I got used to playing the English games, with all the new names painting over their Japanese release speculation-era ones. I've memorized pretty much every Pokémon since the third generation in English, that carried on to the fourth, and now with this one. So yeah, I get some minor switcheroos here and there (probably because I watch the anime in Japanese) but it's been mostly English localization for the names pretty much.

I agree that the shift from Isshu to Unova was pretty hard. All the previous regions effortlessly had rings to them while still sounding like Japanese names so I didn't see the point and felt momentarily stubborn.

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    I prefer the English ones. However, for some Pokemon, I prefer them by their Japanese names. For example: Mijimaru (Oshawott). Whenever I hear the first name of the Pokemon in any language, it just gets stuck in my head and I use it more often.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    For the most part, I've never paid all that much attention to the name speculations of new Pokemon. The only times I can really remember a critter's Japanese name are from when they're featured in the upcoming anime movie - 'cause normally they're the first released Pokemon from each new generation. Having said that, the only one I can remember off the top of my head would be Rukario... so that probably doesn't count as much! :D

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    The only time I kept up-to-date with the unveiling of new Pokemon was for Gen V, and I recall shifting into the English names with relative ease. I guess it helped that I never really got attached to many of the Pokemon's names until the English versions were released, though there are some Japanese names which I can still vaguely remember.

Quixote

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    While I do personally like some of the Japanese names over the English, I'll still refer to english for conveniences sake. It's a giant pet peeve of mines when there's a discussion going on and someone keeps referring to the Japanese names forcing me to go look up the Pokemon.

Years
    If I've recently played my Japanese copy of White then, yeah, I will. The opposite happens with my English copy of Black. And if I don't play either for a while I start to forget either name entirely.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I would refer to them in Japanese until the English names are revealed, if it weren't for the fact that I don't refer to any Pokémon at all before I can even play the game because it doesn't really interest me lol.

The only one that I often call by its original name still is Reuniclus who I call Rank or just Rankurusu because I freaking love that name, and because that's what it's commonly known as in Smogon for some reason.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I just go with plain old English. I just don't keep up with all the Japanese names, so I learn the names by playing through the games, which happen to be in English.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    In my case it's more if I ever refer to them with English names =D
    I prefer Japanese but since English are more used I sometimes catch the english names.
    But since I don't want to watch English version of anime, I'll probably stick to Japanese names at least in 5th gen.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

No, not me. They are to hard for me to say! :D

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I'm getting used to the Japanese names - for some I prefer the German names like the Charmander evolutions (Glumanda, Glutexo, and Glurak) and the Squritle evolutions (Schiggy, Schillok, Turtok) - but the one in Japanese I use alot is Meowth (my second favorite Pokemon) Nyasu!! Nya-Nya (sound cat makes in Japanese). I also watch the anime in my native language (Spanish) they use the English names but with the Spanish accent

my main preference is Japanese.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I kind of regret importing Pokemon Black when it came out. I tried my best, but I ended up memorizing a lot of gen 5's names in Japanese and even when I played it in English (twice!) I didn't memorize them in English. So for gen 5, I can probably name all the Pokemon if I had to, but half of them will be named in English and the other half in Japanese. :P I really wish I could just forget the Japanese names and learn them fresh in English. I don't like referring to Pokemon in other languages since I'm really only involved in the English fandom.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I still call Druddigon Crimgan because Crimgan sounds much better and that Druddigon as a name sucks. I can probably name a lot of Unova's Japanese names due to the forum etc, lol. Otherwise nope, all English for me.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    I still use most gen V Pokemon's Japanese names, I never really got used to the English ones. I changed a lot of my gen V poke's names to the Japanese name lol =p

Back