• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think B/W took a significant step in terms of plot development?

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I think it was really well done compared to the old games.
    It's no longer a "one trainer against the world" type of story, but it has a good supporting cast now, even if they're admittedly a bit underdeveloped.

I like how the plot centers around the basic principal of Pokemon, but turns it into a seemingly negative aspect. Catching Pokemon is as bad as slavery?! Gotta Release 'Em All? OH NOES.

Then there's the new point where the bad guy isn't always bad, unlike other Pokemon games where there's a clear line between good and evil, and nobody can cross it.

Overall I think they done good (much, much more so than R/S/E oh god that mess...), but it could still be better in a lot of aspects.
    Definitely looking forward to the 3rd game or the 6th Gen or a plot-enhanced R/S remake.

What do you think?
    OPINION THREAD GO, NO BASHING.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    It's better. But its not excellent. Then again, Pokemon isn't meant to be story based. But sometimes I wish they would for a change....

Or better yet, make another Mystery Dungeon game. I swear, after PMD 2, I think I might be starting to like the Mystery Dungeon games better than the main series. 0.o

Fiendly

Never let go.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    The storyline was a good one, I enjoyed it.
    I wish they made one giant game where you travelled to all regions with a bigger plot.
    Like.. Have Team Rocket then you move onto side-bad guys like Aqua and Magma etc.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The storyline for B/W was a lot darker than previous series. I'm not done with the game yet, but I'm enjoying the storyline so far. From what I've read so far, it could be a bit longer.

Years
  • The storyline for Black and White was actually really well done. I like what they did with the end by making the 'baddie' not really such a 'baddie' more just brought up believing a lie.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    It's definitely a step forward. The villains have, in the past, been quasi-comedic cliché maniacal-laughing needless-monologuing Bond villain types. N's got a lot more depth. Ghetsis was possibly a bit more of a throwback to past Pokemon games, but you have to say it's a real step in the right direction.

Now if only they could get the US team to translate the Japanese text in a slightly more natural way...

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I think it is a development for pokemon games too... Maybe if they keep on doing this, fanbase will increase much more than it is now. Superb story + Replay Value/Endgame activities/Postgame + Online features would really make Pokemon a top of all the games.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I've been playing Pokemon since the release of Red and Blue... I have to say that they really took a big leap in the storyline with Black and White, it's so much darker and in depth then most of the previous games.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I definitely feel like there was a step forward. Why do I say that? Because I've played every generation since Red and Blue, and can't tell you more about the plot than "catch Pokemon, beat Elite Four" for any of them. I'm sure they had plots, but they're not very memorable.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It was quite a big step forward IMO. Like most people on here said, it seems alot darker and mysterious type of storyline compared to the other storylines in the past games.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    It's better. But its not excellent. Then again, Pokemon isn't meant to be story based. But sometimes I wish they would for a change....

Or better yet, make another Mystery Dungeon game. I swear, after PMD 2, I think I might be starting to like the Mystery Dungeon games better than the main series. 0.o

That...or you can say Pokemon IS meant to be story based...its just that the older stories are geared more towards kids, while this one has a lot more that goes into depth that older age groups can understand better. I'll be honest, I hate the anime exactly for that reason: Nothing important happens until a thousand episodes later...or maybe its just me. Only the movies have been good.

But either way, its definitely better than the others, although I don't know if its better than R/S/E. I did like Team Magma and Team Aqua and the legends in that game seemed more epic than those of D/P/Pt.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    That...or you can say Pokemon IS meant to be story based...its just that the older stories are geared more towards kids, while this one has a lot more that goes into depth that older age groups can understand better. I'll be honest, I hate the anime exactly for that reason: Nothing important happens until a thousand episodes later...or maybe its just me. Only the movies have been good.

But either way, its definitely better than the others, although I don't know if its better than R/S/E. I did like Team Magma and Team Aqua and the legends in that game seemed more epic than those of D/P/Pt.

I would't say so. I don't think that Pokemon can get off by just saying "It has a story, it's just for kids!" Because even if it is meant for kids, that doesn't mean that the story has to be dumbed down and really simple. Of course, I use dumbed down in lightest of terms.

And about the anime, yeah. Reminds me of Johto League Victors. You literary could've skipped the entire middle of the series and not have missed a thing. I mean really. How long does it take someone to get to Olivine City?

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Hooray.

Someone dragged Game Freak into using storytelling methods commonly found in mid to late 90s jRPGs.

When you think about it, every story always has similarities in method/execution to another so you can't necessarily say that something is original/new/etc or copied/reused/etc.

I'm just talking about the development of story from when they started having a story (R/S) to now.

I'm hoping they can go even deeper in the 6th Gen, or even for the R/S remakes if they end up existing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    When you think about it, every story always has similarities in method/execution to another so you can't necessarily say that something is original/new/etc or copied/reused/etc.

I'm just talking about the development of story from when they started having a story (R/S) to now.

I'm hoping they can go even deeper in the 6th Gen, or even for the R/S remakes if they end up existing.

I was talking about the storytelling in general being equal to games that came out over 10 years ago.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I would't say so. I don't think that Pokemon can get off by just saying "It has a story, it's just for kids!" Because even if it is meant for kids, that doesn't mean that the story has to be dumbed down and really simple. Of course, I use dumbed down in lightest of terms.

I though BW did really good int this area. They had a good story I liked the story of N, what he said in the castle was really touching (about how your Pokemon wanted to stay with you). Makes the story so much more than just "here go catch 'em all and heres some cheesy plot to go with it." This time, you where searching for the dragon, to stop N, and even though you didn't have it, you were still going to face N. It had a good message of follow your dreams, yet the game play element was still simple enough you could play the game, even if you couldn't read. (I managed to stumble my way through Japanese Black version before I got my English Version, and I only know a few words here and there, not nearly enough to hold a conversation.)

It had a decent plot, and could still be played by 4 year olds. My only complaint is that there is no good major plot after the battle with N other than find the rest of the 7. I am excited to see how new games will and if the plots will be deeper. I am also excited to see games come out for the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    No, considering one of their recents was Mystery Dungeon 2... and wow. I thought THAT storyline was pretty good. ;D But comparing to other main line Pokémon games, yes. They put a LOT more effort into story.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Yes! The new plot of Black and White was amazing IMO! Finally, a likeable antagonist. I didn't like the plain take over the world plots.

Back