• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Ditto-breeding is cheap?

Is Ditto-breeding cheap?

• Yeah, just find a regular Pokemon to breed with!

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Nah, it's there for a reason.

Votes: 38 88.4%

• Total voters

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Most people know that in Generation II and on, you could breed Ditto with anything "breedable".
    Is it a bit cheap to breed with it?
    I think that the only time it's worthwhile is with Eevees and Starters, and other such Pokemon with a low female rate.

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • I don't really see a problem with it. Sure, it makes more sense to use pokemon in the same egg group, but sometimes I'll be too lazy to go and find an appropriate partner and happen to have a ditto on hand, so I'll go with that instead.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • I view it the same way I view client mods that let you fly in Minecraft. It does not hurt anyone. It adds convenience, so it is cool.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I don't really breed anything, unless my friends need my starter to complete their pokedexes. And when I do breed it's only to get the baby form that I can't get any other way, which usually only comes from one gendered or non-gendered pokemon, so yeah I use ditto. So I don't think of it being cheap, more so than a helpful way to finish the quest!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • You could say there's a pay-off of sorts - using a ditto means a reduced chance for one getting an egg every 256 steps they take and all. Besides given the few 'one-gender-only' Pokemon or the somewhat more common no-gender Pokemon it's kinda necessary here and there. It never came to my mind with it being 'cheap' though, certainly - after all it is part of the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Most of the time, I'm too lazy to find an actual partner for the Pokémon I'm trying to breed, so I just use a Ditto. :/ It's extremely convenient for me, especially since I don't bother with egg moves or anything of that sort. So no, I don't think that Ditto-breeding is cheap. If anything it can be quite helpful.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Why waste time looking on Serebii for the right Egg Group for something? Especially when I'm not trying to get a certain Egg Move...Ditto is just quick, convenient, and universal. Its sexual preference is anything and everything.

Years
  • Game Freak should make breeding with a Ditto lower the shiny rate of the baby, unless the Ditto is foreign.

Why waste time looking on Serebii for the right Egg Group for something? Especially when I'm not trying to get a certain Egg Move...Ditto is just quick, convenient, and universal. Its sexual preference is anything and everything.
    To be fair, egg-groups really aren't that hard to figure out. Normally it's just a simple matter of fish x fish, dragons x dragons, etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I don't see how it's cheap at all. In fact it's kind of uh... necessary. If not for Ditto it'd be impossible to breed male-only Pokemon, and getting multiples of any Pokemon with a high male-to-female ratio would be a huge pain.

It'd be cheap if, say, Ditto-bred 'Mons were hatched with special egg moves or something.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Ditto-breeding isn't cheap. It's the main way to breed Pokemon with low female rates, and it's easier than using a Pokemon in the same egg group if you don't have it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ditto breeding isn't cheap at all. One of the reasons why it's there is because it's the only way to breed male-only and genderless Pokemon.

Years
  • I've never actually done Ditto breeding before, but I think for example if you had a male Eevee and wanted an Eevee egg, then it's an awesome way to get a pokémon that's otherwise really rare.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Ditto-breeding is the only way I've ever done it. Everything else is just too hard. I catch a Ditto and put it in the daycare immediately, and it stays there for the rest of the game.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I guess you could consider it like that. Though I use it whenever I want to breed something.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Most people know that in Generation II and on, you could breed Ditto with anything "breedable".
    Is it a bit cheap to breed with it?
    I think that the only time it's worthwhile is with Eevees and Starters, and other such Pokemon with a low female rate.

Of course not. It's perfectly valid. Getting an appropriate male-female Pokemon pairing can be very time-consuming at times, and if you try "eyeballing" the egg groups and it doesn't work out the first times, it can get frustrating.

You could say there's a pay-off of sorts - using a ditto means a reduced chance for one getting an egg every 256 steps they take and all. Besides given the few 'one-gender-only' Pokemon or the somewhat more common no-gender Pokemon it's kinda necessary here and there. It never came to my mind with it being 'cheap' though, certainly - after all it is part of the game.

Hmm...I never knew about that "reduced-egg-chance" when using Ditto...but yeah, I agree for the most part.

Game Freak should make breeding with a Ditto lower the shiny rate of the baby, unless the Ditto is foreign.

To be fair, egg-groups really aren't that hard to figure out. Normally it's just a simple matter of fish x fish, dragons x dragons, etc.

Lowering the shiny rate like that would be horrible...it's already low enough simply going by random wild encounters. >_> Though it would be interesting (and somewhat feasible) if Ditto-breeding came with a slight drawback...

Ditto breeding isn't cheap at all. One of the reasons why it's there is because it's the only way to breed male-only and genderless Pokemon.

This.

Anyway, Ditto typically has an encounter rate ranging from uncommon to rare, so it'll be heck trying to find one in the first place. And it needed some reason to warrant using it for all of these Generations aside from the somewhat-limited move Transform, due to its lackluster battle abilities Say hello to Generation 5 Ditto with the Impostor ability!

Years
  • Ditto-breeding is the only way I've ever done it. Everything else is just too hard. I catch a Ditto and put it in the daycare immediately, and it stays there for the rest of the game.

That's exactly what I do.
    Seeing as it has no use outside of the day-care (for me anyway), I just leave it in there for ever. xD

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I don't think it's cheap at all. I am grateful for Ditto. I do a lot of breeding and it is much easier just to put whatever pokemon I need to breed with a Ditto. Before I knew about Ditto, I had to go online and look up every eggtype and it was very tedious and redundant. As a breeder, I love and appreciate Ditto.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Hmm...well, apparently, you can't pass down Dream World abilities if you use Ditto as a father, according to Bulbapedia. I guess that's a drawback for Ditto breeding in itself. :\ Though I'll need further confirmation, since there are conflicting reports on whether Ditto can be used...

Last edited:

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • Unless I want egg moves, ditto normally stays in the daycare center until it costs half my money to get it out.

Ever since G/S when I figured out how breeding worked, and that ditto could breed with anything, it has always just stayed in there.

Back