• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Inserting New Tilesets is nescessary for making a hack?

Should i take a long time to figure out Tile Insertion?

• Don't even start until you know Tile Inserting Inside & Out

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Make the Hack without the Tile Inserting if you can't pull it off

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • Give up

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2012
    im going to start making a hack and i'm having trouble with only getting tilesets put into the game so i want to know if it is possible to make a good hack going without it?
    what do you guys think? should i work on the hack now
    or stop work on attempting the tile inserting?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Woah, I say not. Despite being the thing I am greatest at, you do not need new tiles. Sure, it makes it look good, but story and scripts take prime place over anything.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    If you can't insert tiles, just don't. You CAN make a quality hack basin on scripting, details and originality.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    well, if you are really good scripter and bad at tiling then you can create a great hack without needing to insert tile....
    for me it is different, I'm mainly taking care of the graphics how it looks like coz I can't script well, so for me inserting tiles and making great maps is the most important coz if I can't script at least the graphic looks great and the palyer is pleased to be in such a pretty world^^
    so if you can script good you don't really need new tiles......
    but if you can do both well this is the best^^

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
    New tilesets are definitely NOT a necessity. For my hack, for example, I've only inserted a couple tiles, but I palette edited the default ones to give it a touch of originality. If you can't completely add tilesets, you could do that. AdvanceMap actually has a tool to make it easy in the block editor. Combine that and APE's color picker and gradient maker, and you're good to go.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
    pringles_king said:
    it is possible to make a good hack going without it?
    Erm, are you serious? Mostly...actually, all of the good ROM hacks out there have no changes in tilesets, or even graphics, whatsoever. A good hack isn't judged for its looks, though it does make it look flashy, but scripting, mapping and overall quality and professionalism are what are judged for. If the original game was good with its plain graphics, then the hack will be good if you follow the correct procedure.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    If you want to make it graphically appealing, then maybe. But you can do as much without it as you can with it.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
    ...Oh, and you'll probably end up with something even worse than what the ROM gave you in the first place. 99.9% of the hacks in the Tile/Palette Rating Thread use custom tiles, and it's clear that they don't work. Just use the default tiles, unless you're given something better!

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    Personally, I think some new tile insertions are disgusting, if done overboard. I hate the trend of trying to make everything 3D, like the new games. I mean, new tiles are nice. New tiles, no one said wannabe three-dimensionals.

In my opinion, I think new tilesets improve a game's overall appearance. DEFINITELY not necessary, but it is a big benefit if used properly. I wish I knew the works of tile insertion and the like, but I don't. Basically, if you can't do it, you have three options: A) Move on without it, B) Put yourself through rigorous training in order to learn a new thing C) get someone else to do it.

I'd choose B, but I flat out don't know how to learn about it. So I'm most likely going to do C). To answer the poll, move on if you can't do it. You can try, but don't lose hair over it. It really isn't worth it. After all, scripting and relatively new maps can compensate for the lack of new tiles. Scripts (used for a good storyline) > Anything else, in my opinion.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    yeh. new tiles are new. old tiles are old.

nah. for real, you don't need new tiles. the fire red tiles were used for a reason. they just have a perfect fit for a pokémon game. i personally like to insert new tiles though. i find it fun. :)

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
    Well, it's necessary if your in a cold region (snow) or if your in a warm region, much like Hoenn.

Other than that, no.

Years
    No, they aren't needed. As stated many times before, you can make a good hack through scripting and the story, but you also have to include a playable world. I fully agree that lately, new tiles can make a hack look worse than what it would look like with official tiles. If you can insert tiles relatively well, I would say try it and ask for opinions. If not, don't worry about it.

Years
    Well tiles are important for a hack. Also good story and good script. I think a hack without new tiles kinda boring to play. So I think new tiles make a hack better.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Well tiles are important for a hack. Also good story and good script. I think a hack without new tiles kinda boring to play. So I think new tiles make a hack better.

This is so not true. Tiles are not important, you can make a good quality hack with just great mapping and scripting. If you rely on the tiles that is boring.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Woops, I voted without reading the polls carefully. I thought it meant, "Don't start tile editing until you know it".

Anyways, I'm fine with using the default Hoenn / Kanto tiles found in R/S/FR/LG/E, because most custom tiles look horrible, to be honest.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    It's your hack. Do what you want with it. Who cares about popular demand?

And if you can't figure it out, keep moving forward. You'll come back sometime and be like, "Oh! I get this now!"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I can Map, Script, Sprite(Although my spriting is horrible), and do everything else in hacking exept insert tiles. But that doesn't stop me hacking. In my opinion, FR tiles look fine, and if you still want to insert tiles, you can just get a rombase.

Years
    It's a tricky one. I mean, you'll rarely find an RSE hack without a tileset change- but that's because people just generally find them horrible to look at. FR tiles are much better, so they're accepted better. However...
    There are an awful lot of Fire Red hacks that use the default tileset. While I agree with what people said- "a hack just needs good maps, good scripts and originality"- it's kinda hard to look original when everyone's using the same tiles, is it not?
    Having said that, though, if you can't come to grips with tile inserting right now, leave it. Continue the hack, then go back and try learning again, later.

Back