• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokémon should be able to talk?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Not outside of dreams.....or some sort of technology to communicate with them. (which we've already seen with Rotom in a sense)

Also I suppose Psychic types occasionally mind talking is acceptable.

I don't think they should all just randomly start talking to people for no reason.

Last edited:

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
I really don't want that stunt they pulled in the "I Choose You!" movie to happen again. Ever.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Neither.

'Animal' sounds only, as it's meant to be.
I think that this should be the norm, as it is in the games. Them saying their own names really don't make sense, as they get their names from what they look like - their names are, in game lore, something humans have labeled them as. Right?

But! I do think what Meowth did could be ok to be more common. Very intelligent or dedicated pokémon should definitely be able to learn to speak words. After all, even birds learn to speak in our world, and apes can speak sign language. Many pokémon are very intelligent in comparison to our animals, so it should make sense if they were able to grasp and speak human language to a degree if their vocal cords could handle it ahah.

But standard, only "natural noises" imo.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I think that this should be the norm, as it is in the games. Them saying their own names really don't make sense, as they get their names from what they look like - their names are, in game lore, something humans have labeled them as. Right?

But! I do think what Meowth did could be ok to be more common. Very intelligent or dedicated pokémon should definitely be able to learn to speak words. After all, even birds learn to speak in our world, and apes can speak sign language. Many pokémon are very intelligent in comparison to our animals, so it should make sense if they were able to grasp and speak human language to a degree if their vocal cords could handle it ahah.

But standard, only "natural noises" imo.

Too bad it's canon in the games since Gen 6 because of Pikachu. Now it sounds exactly like the anime.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It's pure fanservice anyway. Since it makes no sense to do it with just Pikachu and it alone. Even if you evolve it, suddenly it goes back to normal electric buzzes as Raichu (and even as a Pichu).

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
But! I do think what Meowth did could be ok to be more common. Very intelligent or dedicated pokémon should definitely be able to learn to speak words.

I disagree. Meowth in the animé doesn't simply imitate words, which is what some (and very few) animals do in our world. He actually speaks, fluently and intelligently, which breaks any suspension of disbelief I had of him as a Pokémon. At least, it did to me back when I first watched it in the late '90s. It's also one the many reason why I never followed or cared for the animé. Having been introduced to the franchise through the games, it always irked me when they didn't respect the lore and world-building established in the original works by Tajiri and Sugimori.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
In my opinion, Legendary and mythicals should only be allowed to speak. I don't know about you guys, but I always found it fascinating when special kinds of Pokemon could talk. It meant they had some power that maybe the people in-universe didn't get. And thus, it had more of an effect on me as a child.

However, in the games and the anime, it has been expressed that certain types of pokemon (psychic types mostly and some fighting types) do have the basic understanding of human speech. Therefore, they should remain the exception. Not the rule. I'd like to think that Pokemon and humans are closer than what people think and that in some cases, people and pokemon vice versa can understand one another. However, to keep things simple, regular mons shouldn't be able to talk.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Only the ones who know psychic or other communicating moves (like Chatot) and they definitely shouldn't speak with their mouths. Meowth gets a pass because he's adorable and hilarious, and the anime is supposed to be goofy. Pikachu does definitely not get a pass.

Yotes

GameDev
Years
Pokemon talking used to sound like the worst idea ever to me, then the idea of Danny DeVito as Detective Pikachu got in my head... Now I'm obsessed with it.

I don't even like how they sound saying their names in the anime (with few exceptions) and just prefer animal noises. But I think pokemon talking works best for humor. Give me Morgan Freeman as an Alakazam any day.

Back