• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokémon should be able to talk?

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    ...also, they should get rid of those bloody horrible Pokemon cries in the games.

I don't recall dog crying "dog! dog!" in real life or sheep going "sheep sheep!"
    granted there are few exceptions in which animals are named after their cry ( like Kiwi bird in NZ) but for 70& of animals that is not the case.

I prefer in game cries since it is more "realistic" as how some pokemon would sound like in real life.
    Only reason I will accept pokemon crying out their names in anime and fanfics is that it would be annoying to hear in anime and difficult to write it in fanfics

Last edited:
    Years
  • it would be significantly off-putting if Pokemon sounded exactly like animals instead of just saying their own names like they have been for the past however many years.

i don't see anything wrong with allowing them to talk. we've been exposed to talking pokemon since the first movie so this concept is not new and i dont think it should be much of a shock factor either.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • it would be significantly off-putting if Pokemon sounded exactly like animals instead of just saying their own names like they have been for the past however many years.

i don't see anything wrong with allowing them to talk. we've been exposed to talking pokemon since the first movie so this concept is not new and i dont think it should be much of a shock factor either.

Yes, but it honestly sounds and feels wrong. Pokemon are basically the animals in their universe, and them talking kind of ruins that feel. It just feels awkward and I can't think about how cringy the show would be if Pikachu and Ash spoke in (insert language). It's weird and unnatural.

Years
  • Yes, but it honestly sounds and feels wrong. Pokemon are basically the animals in their universe, and them talking kind of ruins that feel. It just feels awkward and I can't think about how cringy the show would be if Pikachu and Ash spoke in (insert language). It's weird and unnatural.

What needs to be kept in mind is that Pokemon is a fantasy world. I know this sounds like a "no duh" comment but I'm not sure why people are applying realism to the Pokemon world where nothing else in the Pokemon world is in any stretch of the imagination meant to abide by real world laws, so to speak.

Pokemon are shown to be much more intelligent than just mere animals and as such it would make complete sense if they had the capabilities to talk, especially Pokemon who spend their time more increasingly around humans. Heck, it's not hard for Pokemon to teach themselves how to talk; isn't that basically how Meowth learned to speak in the first place when he initially couldn't?

It's these things that give Pokemon much more depth than being the fantasy equivalent of animals, I think, and would justify some of them (or much more of them than we're exposed to) being able to speak.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • What needs to be kept in mind is that Pokemon is a fantasy world. I know this sounds like a "no duh" comment but I'm not sure why people are applying realism to the Pokemon world where nothing else in the Pokemon world is in any stretch of the imagination meant to abide by real world laws, so to speak.

Pokemon are shown to be much more intelligent than just mere animals and as such it would make complete sense if they had the capabilities to talk, especially Pokemon who spend their time more increasingly around humans. Heck, it's not hard for Pokemon to teach themselves how to talk; isn't that basically how Meowth learned to speak in the first place when he initially couldn't?

It's these things that give Pokemon much more depth than being the fantasy equivalent of animals, I think, and would justify some of them (or much more of them than we're exposed to) being able to speak.

I do agree with the fact that Pokemon are more intelligent than animals, but you are forgetting that even though this is a fantasy world, Pokemon just replaced animals. And about Meowth, no one can take the anime seriously. It's perhaps the least canon thin in the franchise. Its also the place where an electric mouse can take down giant serpents made of rocks, and a psychic dragon, through "the power of friendship," along with his immortal friend and trainer, Ash, who somehow seems to be in the middle of every kerfuffle since the dawn of frigging time.

MuzzaYT

Sam :)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2018
    I like it how it is at the moment. It's kind of realistic as I own a dog and say if my dog starts biting the air at me I know that my dog wants food, or if she stands by the back door she needs a wee. My point is the more the character bonds with the Pok?mon I think the more they become understanding of eachother and so therefore they understand what their Pok?mon is pretty much saying to them anyway. I think this is how it should be so I hope it stays the same, I don't think I am going to watch that 20th movie now, I don't want to here Pikachu speak English :(

Years
  • I mean nobody complained about Pokemon talking in Mystery Dungeon, nor Detective Pikachu for that matter... it's really not a big deal.

Years
  • They may not be, but that's missing the point. The point is that we've already been exposed to talking Pokemon in the past and certainly the absurdity of Pokemon where electric mice can OHKO a rock serpent would allow for these creatures to talk without it being rather out of place, don't you think?

We've seen Pokemon that aren't even Psychic type talk through telepathy -- take the Shaymin movie and the Zorua one for instance. Pokemon talking is nothing new and it being more commonplace wouldn't hinder anything, imo.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I mean nobody complained about Pokemon talking in Mystery Dungeon, nor Detective Pikachu for that matter... it's really not a big deal.

you never played these games, have you? In pokemon mystery dungeon, you and pokemon ARE speaking in pokemon language... it is just that for us game is translating what they are saying in our language. That is like saying characters in the English translation of Manga are speaking fluent English!

As for Detective Pikachu? If you look at footage of first 5 minutes into the game the title character ARE speaking in pokemon language! Heck he even doses whole "pika pika" thing in the beginning. It is just that main human character can somehow understand what he says! So you can't really call "detective Pikachu" as talking pokemon when only 1 out of million humans can understand him!

Years
  • you never played these games, have you? In pokemon mystery dungeon, you and pokemon ARE speaking in pokemon language... it is just that for us game is translating what they are saying in our language. That is like saying characters in the English translation of Manga are speaking fluent English!

As for Detective Pikachu? If you look at footage of first 5 minutes into the game the title character ARE speaking in pokemon language! Heck he even doses whole "pika pika" thing in the beginning. It is just that main human character can somehow understand what he says! So you can't really call "detective Pikachu" as talking pokemon when only 1 out of million humans can understand him!

First off, cool it with the attitude. If you're unable to have a conversation without making sounding side and/or making jabs, don't bother replying. It's simple conversational etiquette, really.

Secondly, I have been playing Mystery Dungeon games since the first ones released, so I have a fairly good grasp of these games unlike what you seem to think.

Also, the fact that only the main character can understand Detective Pikachu is not lost on me, but that does not rebute my point whatsoever. The fact that Pikachu sounds like a middle-aged man period did not deter players from enjoying it.

My bigger point (which you seemed to have missed entirely) is that talking Pokemon would hardly be out of the norm because even if you've never played a Pokemon game your entire life, there's enough examples of talking Pokemon purely in other Pokemon media (mainly the movies) to become accustomed to.

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • They may not be, but that's missing the point. The point is that we've already been exposed to talking Pokemon in the past and certainly the absurdity of Pokemon where electric mice can OHKO a rock serpent would allow for these creatures to talk without it being rather out of place, don't you think?

We've seen Pokemon that aren't even Psychic type talk through telepathy -- take the Shaymin movie and the Zorua one for instance. Pokemon talking is nothing new and it being more commonplace wouldn't hinder anything, imo.

Hmmm, maybe you're right. I honestly don't think that PKMN should be able to talk because I like to think of them as the animals of this world. This is why I wouldn't want them to talk. However, you are right about these instances, but I don't consider spinoffs and the anime as canon; if you do though, then who am I to challenge that? Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, right? :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    First off, cool it with the attitude. If you're unable to have a conversation without making sounding side and/or making jabs, don't bother replying. It's simple conversational etiquette, really.

Secondly, I have been playing Mystery Dungeon games since the first ones released, so I have a fairly good grasp of these games unlike what you seem to think.

Also, the fact that only the main character can understand Detective Pikachu is not lost on me, but that does not rebute my point whatsoever. The fact that Pikachu sounds like a middle-aged man period did not deter players from enjoying it.
    My bigger point (which you seemed to have missed entirely) is that talking Pokemon would hardly be out of the norm because even if you've never played a Pokemon game your entire life, there's enough examples of talking Pokemon purely in other Pokemon media (mainly the movies) to become accustomed to.

the main point here is that these examples are exceptions rather than the norm and it is firmly established rule that normal pokemon do NOT speak human language. and only select few can speak it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I like Pokemon as valued chess pieces, IE, in the game vs how the anime portrays them.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think that humanoid or human-like Pokémon should be able to talk, at least have their own language and society of sort. Legendary Pokémon could talk too as well.

The rest should have animal voices, like in the games. I don't like Pokémon saying their names. A cat doesn't say "cat! cat!".

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    I wrote something you want to see?

"What's Your name" though? he looked, Squirtle did.. "Charmander.." I laughed.. okay, "He's Pan though, that's Kanto," "BulbaSaur!" "FRIEnds.." so cool.. "Friends?" I didn't miss that.. that's his real name,! sweet worlds though, "Pikachu's Pikachu, I didn't trick you though, she's an original gang-staer," "Pika,lau.." "Puli,kAa!" "Wuourtalaa," cuuute~ she's cute though, what's you deal, pikachu?

"Since when do You have a shiny pokémon?" "I don't know, Gary, whatis that?" "Typical pokémon trainers don't typick'ly get, pokémon, trainers, like, Pikachu stealing their belts.." I, looked, uh, turned around, yeah, okay.. "what's your mission, Pikalaa?" "PikachYUU!" "Chyu,pikaa!" "I don't make fun a her name, she aelectrocutes people.. are you.. oh you wanna battle?" "Puika'taa.." "Wartortle!" "That's Your, freshly evolved Wartortle then, Pikachu?" "they're just friends.." "FRiends.."
    gary was.. "whoa.."

"I wouiked, haad and haad at it, like I was sayin', it's ages and lot's a pains for makin' mistakes atit, long time lookin' forward to it too, she sells sea sh-" "Liar!!" Pikachu's tail, up in the air.. "Liar!" . . .. whoa..

they talk a Lot

Last edited:
    Back