• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokemon is "dying"

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    Pokémon has still been going strong, after all the years the franchise been through. Checking out Pokememes once in a while gives me the impression that there are many players out there. In fact, I heard that on the day of its release, X and Y sold 1 million copies each. There's no need to worry on the fact that you feel like an outcast to others. It would be helpful to make friends with the users here at PokeCommunity, and you've gone to the right place to do so.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    For those of you that are wondering the sales per generation are as the following.

Gen 1(Red, Blue, Green, Yellow): 46 Million
    Gen 2(Gold, Silver, Crystal): 29.49 Million
    Gen 3(Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen): 32.75 Million
    Gen 4(Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold,SoulSilver): 37.20 Million
    Gen 5(Black/2, White/2): 21.57 Million
    So far in the first few months of Gen 6 X & Y have sold 6.78 Million.

But the sales charts I've seen never combined sales of remakes and third versions together with the vanilla versions and instead have their own separate sales based on the time of their release, which gives me the impression that it's the sales of the vanilla versions that matter to determine whether they have succeeded in surpassing Red/Blue's sales and/or achieved critical acclaim to dethrone the first two gens.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    Pokemon has managed to stay strong as of today. Compare it with multimedia merchandises back in the 90s, some companies might be struggling to keep sales up as society keeps evolving (heh, see what I did there ;) )

itzBolt

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2013
    Pokemon X and Y definitely helped raise popularity again.

- itzBolt

Toutebelle

Banned
    Years
    It's not dying at all. However, I think there's kind of been a shift in the average age of the people playing. When RBY came out, it was mostly kids playing the games. Now it's mostly people in their teens or twenties. Video games in general are kind of heading that way - you can see by the increased amount of M-rated games.

The reception to Pokemon X and Y has been overwhelmingly positive, and even the reviews that pointed out faults still gave positive reviews.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Not at all. More sales than ever, last I saw. Possibly out of mutual peer pressure (because it's certainly not boredom with the same-old if they move onto CoD), people tend to stop partaking of it after a point in their lives, while the next generation's children get into it. Perhaps the franchise hasn't enjoyed the cultural omnipresence in the West that I feel it had during the first generation, but I have grown up myself since then, so I don't know if it's still a big thing among primary school students. Most of the regulars on this site are in or nearing their twenties, so you might even find yourself a little youthful around here.

I'm 12. My brother (Hi Oshiottiz) started an account and he's 9.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    The only thing I think that is dying in Pokemon are the storylines and the people. They are repeating more than they ever have before, except now it's becoming uninteresting. Your rivals suddenly always love you and adore you and follow you around and keep up with you, the art styles of all the characters look lame and alike (wide eyes, same cowlick in hair, same poses, styles, etc) and instead of Team Rocket just out for money, lately all of these Teams have had these huge randomly large debatable topics, which is okay if not used over and over again. They also hide a lot of the abuse and evil parts, like GSC rival and Giovanni. Sure, X and Y mentioned death, but in a fairytale like way to make it easy for children to handle. No more gambling.

It's basically becoming too childish. But other than what I named off, I think that it is still alive and well... Just losing what made it special to most of us as children.

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I actually had a friend that, like me, liked pokemon. He was a year younger then me. He was my best friend. We talked and talked looong breaks about pokemon and related. We even DID play a game where one was a pokemon and the other was a trainer! But then Secondary came. I have always had my doubts about if people do change in secondary, but now i know it´s true. You know, we were bullied because of pokemon. Luckly, only with insults, but we didnt care (like pink!). But in Secondary... Everything changed. He started being angry with me for no reason. And making fun of me. Then, he stopped caring about me. Now, he doesnt even look at me. Like as if he was ashamed of me. But I didnt care, i continued with pokemon. Though I had lost one of the best friends i could have ever had.
    Why? Because of the f****ng society. Now, you have to do what the "cool" kid says. And bully the others. Also, if you want to be accepted you have to either smoke, take drugs or even worse things. What my friend did to me was to be accepted. But I dont care, and now people dont bully me any more! But thats another story, and shall be told in another moment.
    So, if pokemon dies, is because of the society.
    PS: Even my mom thinks pokemon is childlish. My only hope is my 9 year old sister :(

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    Pokemon? Dying? IS?

My good sir (or madam), how on earth could you think this popular franchise, that has been around since 1995 and sold over 200 million copies by 2010, be dying?

I see X and Y as only been an asset, not a liability. The new features and 3D have made fans really get back into Pokemon, imho.

I have great expectations of you, Game Freak!

Outlier

I think the designs overall for each generation are going to get worse and worse. I hope they stop making new Pokemon after a couple more generations but still keep making Pokemon games. Maybe focus on the story more.

Years
    No, it's better than ever. I've seen adults my age loving X and Y. And Generation V was also some pretty darn good stuff.

However, if it does end, it should be at a time when people are still loving it and not when it starts to get run into the ground. I would not have been upset at all if BW2 had been the final games in the main series, although i'm sure there are quite a few people who would have.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    Of course not. Never in a million years. Okay not in a million years but you get my point. My point is? I have just introduced to my cousin her very first Pokemon game: Pokemon Crystal, and I am 110% sure she will pass down her new but strong love of Pokemon to her children, and her children's children to their children and on and on till the end of time. Gosh I'm being so melodramatic lol

Back