• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think there are too many legendary pokemon?

Hospitaller

Defender of the Faith
    Years
    Just a comment... While they say Arceus DID create the world, I've not seen on any official Nintendo site that it is, indeed, a God.

Aside from that, you've got to remember the number of legendaries in the games pales in comparison to the amount of non-legends. And who cares if it's called legendary? It's still a Pokemon which can be used, like any other. It's stronger than others by far, yes, but there are normal Pokemon who are extremely powerful, such as Metagross, Tyranitar, Salamence, etc. However, I do agree with a previous post, there are too many you can only get from events, and there aren't too many events in Europe.

If I could choose, I'd get rid of the event Pokemon and just keep the normal in-game legends. This way, more people get the legendaries, and there aren't so many. Everybody wins.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2011
    As long as there's a story behind it, it's a legendary Pokemon, right... So actually, if you only count substantial plots, that means you can get rid of... the three Regis, Latios and Latias, Phione, Manaphy, Heatran, Darkrai and Cressellia MAYBE, Shaymin once again a maybe there, Arceus although I suppose he is the Godly Pokemon but still, not really a story, and well, that's about it. From Generation III they kind of went overkill.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    BUT, if you're such an expert:

Which came first?Arceus or the Egg?

And if Mew's got the DNA of all pokemon (as Arceus does, being their creator), did Mew come before Arceus?Or is it directly descended from Arceus??

Arceus' Egg, duh. And Mew was born of Arceus. Arceus is a creation deity, and it made the Pokemon that keep the world in it's present order. So space, time, the components of spirit, the components of the physical worlds, antimatter, and a Pokemon to begin life. This even could explain why Mew is considered genderless, as it could reproduce without having to find a mate.
    Any more silly questions? If so, go find Q&A.

Also, I like the legendaries. Most of them have a specific purpose (Entei and Heatran notwithstanding [Volcanoes].), and so long as they DO something, I'm good.

Esmas

General
    Years
    Yeah, I think there are too many legendary Pokémon. For example, with the amount of legendaries in the 1st Generation, Nintendo would be able to create like eight generations.

BUT PLEASE, DON'T SAY ARCEUS CREATED THE ENTIRE POKéMON WORLD, because there's no proof that it did. It only states in the games that it created the Sinnoh region and the Pokémon to inhabit and take care of it (so, possibly, Dialga can't control time outside of Sinnoh, etc.). Why else can't Arceus pwn every Pokémon, and get zapped by only a few Electric attacks?

Anyways, if Nintendo stretched out their amount of legendaries, that would be sweet. Like, if they cut the amount of legendaries in the 4th Generation and added them to the 5th Generation. I think they're running out of ideas, since there's like nothing else to control XD;

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm prone to agree that there are too many pointless legendaries, but while reading through this topic, I thought of something interesting. If you count kanto/Johto as one large region roughly equal in size to Hoenn or Sinnoh, the amount of legendaries then goes as follows:

Kanto/Johto: 11
    Hoenn: 10
    Sinnoh: 14

...not as large a disparity as you may think at first glance. Although i do ave to admit that there are too many pointless legendaries in the latter two generations, presumably as a result of creating more and more of them to roughly match the totals from the previous region. Latios/Latias, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, Manaphy, and Phione are all kinda pointless and added in just for the sake of keeping the numbers up.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

BUT PLEASE, DON'T SAY ARCEUS CREATED THE ENTIRE POKéMON WORLD, because there's no proof that it did. It only states in the games that it created the Sinnoh region and the Pokémon to inhabit and take care of it (so, possibly, Dialga can't control time outside of Sinnoh, etc.). Why else can't Arceus pwn every Pokémon, and get zapped by only a few Electric attacks?

Don't get me started. Huh? Too late.

It's only implied that it created everything else, but it is implied that created everything else.
    "In the beginning there was only a churning turmoil of chaos. At the heart of chaos... appeared an egg."
    So, there was nothing before Arceus got to work. Afterwards, there was just... Sinnoh?
    "The world created, the Original One took to unyielding sleep"
    The world. Read that and get back to me later.
    Something about facing him. In the games it's vulnerable to every type (except Ghost, for obvious reasons), and not very invincible. Don't mix up movie and the games like that. It could be (horror of horrors) that Arceus is simply very powerful, and has creative powers. In every other way, it's still a Pokemon. So, it can't just walk up and kill everything in the games- or even in the movie- because it's just a Pokemon. Not really a god, as such.
    I think adding Arceus was an interesting move. We have a creation deity, now what?

Last edited:

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    To me the legendaries in Gen IV were just unneeded, seriously some could have been given another type of status other than that. I do however like the previous Gens' legendaries and think that the amount isn't ridiculous. Too many overall? No. Too many for Gen IV? Yes.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Its kinda getting ridiculous now. I remember back when there were only 5 legendaries, now we have what, like 25? I mean, I know they have to keep adding new ones with every game, but they don't have to add like 8 legendaries per game. Make them cool again imo. Not so common place.

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I think there are way too many. In the older gens there weren't as many making them special. Nowadays there are way too many, and the abundance makes them not as fun as they once were.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2016
    Hell yes, there are too many. And I know someone in this thread has probably brought up the fact that the vast majority are Psychic-types. What the hell were they thinking?

I'm STILL waiting for my Fighting, Poision, and Bug legendaries, by the way. That's part of why I'm making my own hack.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think that the whole argument that having too many makes them less "special" is kind of childish. Maybe it's because I have difficulty looking at it from an in-universe perspective. To me, catching legendary Pokemon is just stuff to do. More legendary Pokemon = more stuff to do = more fun times for Jolene.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Hell yes, there are too many. And I know someone in this thread has probably brought up the fact that the vast majority are Psychic-types. What the hell were they thinking?

I'm STILL waiting for my Fighting, Poision, and Bug legendaries, by the way. That's part of why I'm making my own hack.
    Fist plate, insect plate, toxic plate.
    There you go, you also get ???.

No. Legendaries are still one of a kind pokemon that are usually great at battles and have a purpose in the story.

I think adding Arceus was an interesting move. We have a creation deity, now what?
    Because all of the myths in RPG's are true.
    …Actually, that probably is the case for the most part.

God, Satan, seasons, chemicals, forests, other ecosystems, love, hate, envy/jealousy, and even some human created pokemon(They're too broad as legendary pokemon.)
    There are probably more that I haven't mentioned, but that's all I could think of right now. :/

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    No, because if there was a game developed without any legendaries there would be no major plot to the story.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The amount of legendary Pokemon these days does make them lack the charm that the original two generations did but I dont really care. I like all of the legendary Pokemon so its no big deal.

LordDarkrai

Gamer
    Years
    Yes there is a little too much, I think GameFreak should calm down and decrase the number the legends in the next game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I think there's more, but I don't think there's too many. They all seem to have certain reasons to be there each generation, the last one having more because it had more to explain, maybe? And I don't think having more makes them less special, because they're still considered legendary since they're still a legend in the pokémon world. I mean, that's why they're called legendary, right? Not because there's so few, but because they're based on legends?

While I do like the first two generation legendary pokémon better because I grew up with them, the fourth generation is still intriguing and interesting to me too.

I also think they might be raising the legendary number because the total number of pokémon keep increasing. And while people may think there are too many now, think about how many pokémon there are altogether?

There were 5 original legendary pokémon for a total of 151. Then they added 5 more for the 250 total...

So of course since there is now 493, there is going to be more legendary pokémon involved. And while some people might think there's too many.. out of 493, the number of legendary pokémon seems so small..

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    OMFG YES!!!! In particular, there are too many needless legendaries. And they are:

-Regirock
    -Regice
    -Registeel
    -Manaphy
    -Phione
    -Heatran

Some that should be given pseudo-legend status are:

-Latias
    -Latios

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    No, because if there was a game developed without any legendaries there would be no major plot to the story.

That's not true. R/B/G/Y and G/S/C did just fine with having no Legendaries as part of the major plot line.

I think they should have spaced 'em out more. If they're going to make more generations, when why throw a crap load of 'em into one generation? Wouldn't it be harder to then make more legendaries with their own unique thing to the world.

Also, Celebi can be known for both forests and time-traveling.

Back