• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think there will be a Third Legendary?

Years
  • We haven't had a mascot legendary trio since 2nd Gen (who had a mascot duo and then used Suicune for Crystal) and with Game Freak apparently saying third versions are not going to be a thing anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a third member to go with Solgaleo and Lunaala.

And if we don't get a remake this generation, then the only thing I could see happening is a B2/W2-esque sequel pair because X/Y never got a follow-up and fans are complaining that Kalos was left unfinished due to the lack of it, and I don't want this generation to suffer the same fate.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I can't wait for there to be a 3rd legendary everyone says will get its own game a year or two later.

Years
  • Probably. And people will think that it deserves a third version game, haha. Hopefully it'll be incorporated into the story better than Zygarde was. :)

I knew Zygarde had potential and seeing it get shafted so heavily made me feel worried about the fate of future "third mascots" so if we get one this generation I really hope it gets some part in the story.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Probably not a third game but definitely a third legendary. There's pretty much always been the three legendary concept with the two mascots fighting against eachother whilst the third is the mediator. Sun, Moon and Eclipse springs to mind for this generation and that's most likely what the theme will be imo. I think Zygarde didn't receive much attention due to the fact that there was no third game. Perhaps GF made up for that by introducing the different forms, although I still don't know what/if they're doing anything more with those...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I hope not! Instead of making just a major legendary trio where the third member has no legend associated with it, I'd rather they just have a main legendary duo and make a new minor legendary trio, a la GSC.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I think zygarde might be more involved in this game(hopefully) due to the movie its going to get, otherwise I hope the third legendary is something based on pluto lol just cause

Years
  • I think zygarde might be more involved in this game(hopefully) due to the movie its going to get, otherwise I hope the third legendary is something based on pluto lol just cause

The upcoming movie is about Volcanion and Magearna, but Zygarde is getting its exposure in the main anime. I heard rumours the "third legendary" for S/M is called Marshadow and I believe it could represent an eclipse that blocks out the sun and moon.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • The upcoming movie is about Volcanion and Magearna, but Zygarde is getting its exposure in the main anime. I heard rumours the "third legendary" for S/M is called Marshadow and I believe it could represent an eclipse that blocks out the sun and moon.

Seems cool, hope it will be a Lion-Bat ;-;

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I'm honestly hoping they give us a duo instead of a trio this time. If they give us a trio again, I hope they do something for the 3rd Legendary in the post-game of SM instead of having to rely on a 3rd version to tell that Pokemon's story. ORAS did that with the Delta Episode, so I really hope they implement that same strategy. But even without the Zygarde issue, I really liked how they just had Ho-Oh and Lugia for GS/HGSS.

Years
  • I'm honestly hoping they give us a duo instead of a trio this time. If they give us a trio again, I hope they do something for the 3rd Legendary in the post-game of SM instead of having to rely on a 3rd version to tell that Pokemon's story. ORAS did that with the Delta Episode, so I really hope they implement that same strategy. But even without the Zygarde issue, I really liked how they just had Ho-Oh and Lugia for GS/HGSS.

I liked how the Johto games had a simple legendary duo, so it would be nice if we returned to that format with Solgaleo and Lunaala in this game because we haven't had something like that in 16 years now.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • I was gonna say that with the way X&Y went, probably not, but also Sun and Moon have apparently had more effort put into them, so I'm hoping we do get a third game / Legendary for it. I know X&Y technically has Zygarde, but it doesn't feel much like a Legendary. Kiiinda hopin' Sun and Moon's possible third one will get better treatment.

Y'know, unless Sun and Moon and the two Legendaries we already know of are awesome enough on their own, and we don't need a third for it to feel complete. Johto was really popular and it only had two, so..

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I've been trying to figure out what kind of theme the third Legendary would take to turn the Sun/Moon dichotomy into a celestial trio instead. Eclipse, Comet, Space, stuff like that. Then I had a thought: if Solgaleo is Sun and Lunaala is Moon, how about Earth for the third Legendary? The planet, not the element.
    I liked how the Johto games had a simple legendary duo, so it would be nice if we returned to that format with Solgaleo and Lunaala in this game because we haven't had something like that in 16 years now.
    Did Ho-Oh and Lugia ever have a connection in the games besides initially residing near each other in the towers? I've always liked how those two were paired off but never actually connected to each other like Kyogre/Groudon, Dialga/Palkia, Reshiram/Zekrom, and Xerneas/Yveltal.

Years
  • Did Ho-Oh and Lugia ever have a connection in the games besides initially residing near each other in the towers? I've always liked how those two were paired off but never actually connected to each other like Kyogre/Groudon, Dialga/Palkia, Reshiram/Zekrom, and Xerneas/Yveltal.

I think they represented the sky and the sea, as shown with Ho-Oh being captured at the top of Bell Tower and Lugia captured at the bottom cave of Whirl Islands which is situated on the water.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I've been trying to figure out what kind of theme the third Legendary would take to turn the Sun/Moon dichotomy into a celestial trio instead. Eclipse, Comet, Space, stuff like that. Then I had a thought: if Solgaleo is Sun and Lunaala is Moon, how about Earth for the third Legendary? The planet, not the element.

If they have made a 3rd Legendary, I can see them going that route with it representing Poke-Earth. With that said, I think a Ground/Fairy or Ground/Psychic would be a good typing for it.

ZangooseClaw

Pokemon Philosopher
    Years
  • Instead of making just a major legendary trio where the third member has no legend associated with it, I'd rather they just have a main legendary duo and make a new minor legendary trio, a la GSC.

I'd agree here that a new trio of minor legendaries would offer more to the storyline and players would have something more to chase after.

There will naturally be singular legendaries separate from mascots (like Magearna), so now I'm interested in the new trio of dogs or birds but thats a topic for another thread.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • The whole 'duo' and 'trio' thing is tired, in my opinion. I'd rather not see one. Zygarde was pretty much Rayquaza 2.0 which was pretty boring. The lore behind Kyurem was interesting, but we never got to see the original dragon so meh. I don't really care what Gamefreak decides to do anymore, as long as they do it well.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'd agree here that a new trio of minor legendaries would offer more to the storyline and players would have something more to chase after.

There will naturally be singular legendaries separate from mascots (like Magearna), so now I'm interested in the new trio of dogs or birds but thats a topic for another thread.

We're still not sure is Magearna will be a standard legendary or an event-exclusive Mythical. If gen 6 was anything to go by, the Mythicals won't have any sort of lore (at least in-game), which is why I'd like a classic (non-event) trio--they have a better chance of being given some sort of sub-plot to add to the narrative and overall content of the games.

Outside of the mascots, the only legendaries we got in XY were Zygarde and the Mythicals; I wasn't a huge fan of that so I hope it isn't repeated in SM.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I saw a theory that the third legend might be a Manticore. They based it on the Hawaiian creation story where the Sun and Moon deities were aspects of a single one. So perhaps we'll see a scenerio similar to Kyurem. I can see the form taken being in SM that of a scorpion since a manticore has a lion's body, bat wings, and a scorpion's tale. That or S/M just fuse without a third one to swallow the up.

Back