• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    Why is everyone challenging the ones that say Game Freak's running out of ideas to make their own original ones? It doesn't take a singer to know when someone else is singing poorly.

Also, there ARE tons of different species of animals in the animal kingdom, but does that mean that Pokemon has to mimic that? There are over 200 species of monkeys, but does that mean even 30 different monkey Pokemon are all original?

It is also true that we haven't seen the whole Gen. 5 Pokemon roster, but I thought the point of this thread was to decide whether they were running out of ideas or not based on what we have. Based on what we have, yes, they aren't doing so hot (in fact, it might be worse then Gen. 4 :|). Obviously, the starters in particular could be rather poor ideas compared to the rest, and this generation might end up not being so bad. I think Zorua and Zoroark are good, but the starters are abysmal (although the fire-pig is original).

They aren't completely out of ideas yet, but I'm afraid that half of this generation will be redos of earlier Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    i really hate how they always make terrible pokemon at the beginnig i.e. sentret, furret, zigzagoon, linoone, poochyena, and ****ing bidoof, they're all useless. thats why Gen1 was the best and ever since then pokemon has gotten worse, except for Gen3, i loved gen 3.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    Hey back in vanilla Pokemon, we had trouble even knowing what they looked like. At least now they are indiscernable pixels on the screen.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    i really hate how they always make terrible pokemon at the beginnig i.e. sentret, furret, zigzagoon, linoone, poochyena, and ****ing bidoof, they're all useless. thats why Gen1 was the best and ever since then pokemon has gotten worse, except for Gen3, i loved gen 3.

Wait, so rattata ISN'T useless?

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
    Years
    Gamefreak is not running out of ideas. Come on look at the first Gen. Some evolutions were three of the original pokemon. Dugtrio, Magneton? How is that "unique"? People are just overly picky. They like what they like and think everyone else should like that exact same thing, then they go make threads bashing the games before they are even fully revealed. Its kind of pitiful. So i have some words for people like that.

If you dont like the new gen's, grab a gameboy or an emulator and.
    PLAY. GEN. 1.
    over and over again, and just stop being so nitpicky. These guys are taking ALL this time to work on this new game, so quickly after the release of HG/SS, just to keep everyone happy and not ****ing, and this is how you guys thank them?

McNoob

Magikarp Enthusiast
    Years
    First off, Bidoof is one of the most underrated and under appreciated pokemon in the universe. One day you will all see why...

Second, I think they are running out of ideas, mainly with the storyline. Yeah, the Team Galactic stuff was pretty cool in D/P, but it's all the same story. "Novice trainer starts out in small town, where local professor introduces him to pokemon to fulfill a pokedex, and then is sent out on a journey to battle gym leaders and enemies, until finally he conquers the Elite 4." Don't get me wrong, I like playing that storyline, but after four generations, it just gets monotonous.

Also, I think the regions have been lacking a little. I loved Ruby/Sapphire because it felt like I was actually on a journey, rather than just hopping from town to town. Unfortunately the D/P region seemed too bland to me (except for Snowpoint), and Platinum was a joke with the new climate. I will admit you can't really do much with HG/SS, but they could've shaken up the area a bit more than they did. I am excited for the new "3D" environment though.

As for pokemon designs, you're always going to get your batch of good and bad ones (I'm looking at you Probopass!). I just they don't all look as ridiculous as the water panda.

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
    Years
    I wouldn't say running out of ideas for pokemon, but I do prefer most fakemon over gen 4 pokemon. I really don't like the direction they've taken legendary pokemon.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    Ideas are endless. However, they`ve used pretty much everything in the known universe so I think crack is the last source of ideas.

Cresselia

Plasma Elite
    Years
    I think they start off with a strong foundation of ideas in mind, but then slowly fizzle out as deadlines approach. It's a common controversy for all creators, though I have strong hopes for this generation.

HunterX101

Always Up for an IV battle
    Years
    How could you run out of Ideas for new Pokemon.... Im sure everybody has Pokemon they can Picture in their Minds

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    It's kinda early to decide whether or not they're running out of ideas - I mean, there's so many animals to base off of, and with the 17 types, they're bound to look similar.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Everybody that is trashing on the starters is so stupid. I personally think Charmander is dumb. OH WAIT IT EVOLVES INTO A GIANT EARTH DESTROYING DRAGON THING.

You can't say the starters suck and are unimaginative. For all you know, the grass starter's final evolution is a giant Grass/Dragon sea serpent that learns Draco Meteor at level 50. And the water starter turns into a pwnage Water/Fighting Otter with battle armor and a laser cannon. Shut up.

Game Freak isn't running out of ideas. Go google "fakemon" and you'll find AT LEAST thirty full fakedexes that are all awesome and original. If you're saying those people are smarter than Game Freak, you're an idiot, because Game Freak is the one who's making the millions of dollars, not them.

[/topic]

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    There are few Pokemon that I'd complain about when it comes to originality (Bronzong, Probopass, and Lickylicky come to mind), but in general I am really happy with what we have gotten so far and from what I can tell of Generation 5, it is going to be one of the most original regions yet. I don't think it is quite possible for them to run out of ideas at this point since there are so many things in the world to be inspired from, especially animals and cities... the franchise could truly last forever.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I think they start off with a strong foundation of ideas in mind, but then slowly fizzle out as deadlines approach. It's a common controversy for all creators, though I have strong hopes for this generation.

I'm more scared of them running out of gameplay ideas (new moves, story line, gameplay after story line, etc) instead of ideas for pokemon.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I think when they run out of ideas, they should buy (or get) permission from hackers to use certain amazing Fakemon. *cough* cough* Angeallen *cough* *cough*

Last edited:

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    Nostalgia is a powerful force, clouding minds, swaying opinions. It is the ultimate power. That's why games like HG/SS and FR/LG could sell so well.

Or maybe we just don't like surfing half the game (I haven't played Gen. 4 yet, although most of the Pokemon designs there put me off). Although some people are swayed by nostalgia, you don't have to be "clouded" to like earlier generations more. I've always said that gameplay has gotten better over time, but Pokemon design has (typically) gotten worse.

And I'm not too sure about the Fakemon idea. Might be useful, but at the same time I don't feel good about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back