• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    No one is going to like everything about the game however it turns out. We've seen maybe 1-2% of the game so far - much too soon to form anything but hopes and wishes.

Did anyone really think the starters weren't going to be a little simple looking just like all the other starters?

IRC

Internet Relay Chat
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    If they run out of ideas, they can rip things off of roms.
    OF COURSE THEY WONT RUN OUT OF IDEAS! FINAL FANTASY WENT ON FOR YEARS, WHY CAN'T POKEMON!

Ayselipera

I don't think they've run out of ideas they just have different ideas then they have previously had. The first Pokemon were very simple in design almost completely animal looking in some cases. Now from what I can see I'd say Pokemon have a much more fictional look. They are less animal looking and more their own creatures. Which I personally have noticed starting a little bit in the second generation and then carrying on more and more into each generation after that.

So I think the problem is what we want are simpler easier on the eyes designs. Instead of robust agitating Pokemon.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I just wish they wouldn't regurgitate the same story line over and over again. It's getting old no matter how nicely you dress it up.

Illustration

ああああああああ
    Years
    I actually think that the Pokemon are getting more creative as the generations pass by.
    Just because a Pokemon has some similarities with another Pokemon doesn't mean it's a knock-off; just because people think a Pokemon is ugly doesn't mean its design is uncreative (Probopass, Dunsparce, etc.)

Years
    Hmmm....no...

end post.]]

I think the Pokemon I've seen so far for the fifth gen look as if more thought was put into their designs. Even if some have certain characteristics that remind us of old Pokemon, I don't mind. There's always a new element of surprise.

Years
    I felt like they were running out of ideas at the beginning of Ruby and Sapphire. Idk, I really didn't feel the need for more Pokemon. Just new moves, some new legendaries and that's it.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    A pig. An otter. And a lizard bird. For starters in B/W.

Uh. I seriously think the otter is 1/2 Piplup, 1/2 Seal. Really. They look terrible.

They are running out of ideas. The starters are supposed to be some of the best Pokemon o0 These ones look like runty trash.

Grass starter can't be a snake; it has LEGS. WTF?

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    after all the new evolutions of old pokemon in sinnoh....

i have to say yes, cuz what was the point of evolving old pokemon?
    to me it seemed like they ran out of ideas, and just rushed a bunch of new evolutions
    and a massive overload of legendaries to try& squeeze out as much story as they could

if Isshu, turns out to be like Sinnoh, it will officially prove theyve run out of ideas, a few new evolutions are cool, eeveelutions are always awesome, but if the entire new area is old pokemon evolutions like sinnoh..... theyve run out of ideas sadly :(

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I don't see it. I mean, the generations have been getting more creative as they were coming out. The pokemon designs for this generation seem to be pretty good, in my own, honest opinion. Even the water starter who's name I can't seem to remember just yet.

Note that creative =/= good, but even then, there's only two pokemon designs I hate, so in my opinion, with pokemon themselves, they're not done just yet.

Storylines? Well, they are getting better in that, in my own opinion. I loved the 4th and 3rd gen stories a lot, fourth more, though.

SuperEV133

Flying Raichu trainer
    Years

Yeah. And Golem is a rock with arms; it has a FACE. WTF?

[/sarcasm]

Anyway, I don't think they're running of ideas. If anything, they're getting more ideas. The Pokemon don't look as plain and simple as they used to; I like that.

Now my only hope is that Mijumaru gets a move that let's it crack other Pokemon's heads open on his belly with a rock like a real otter <3

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    Person 1:"Wow Bibarel is such a terrible design, generation 4 Pokemon suck"
    Person 2:"But what about awesome designs like Drapion, Frosslass, Lucario, Mismagius and Garchomp?"
    Person 1:"Yeah but Bidoof and Bibarel suck, Generation 4 sucks"

Person 1:"I love second generation Pokemon so much, I mean look at Skarmory's design among others!!"
    Person 2:"Yeah but Dunsparce has a stupid, stupid design, so really 2nd generation sucks."
    Person 1:"Are you kidding me? Based off on one Pokemon? How can you say that?"

Bidoof and Dunsparce both have awesome design, and lucario does not.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    A pig. An otter. And a lizard bird. For starters in B/W.

Uh. I seriously think the otter is 1/2 Piplup, 1/2 Seal. Really. They look terrible.

They are running out of ideas. The starters are supposed to be some of the best Pokemon o0 These ones look like runty trash.

To get the point across that some have been trying to explain, you can't judge a whole generation by only a few Pokémon. And you can't say they've run out of ideas either when it's still going. The starters aren't supposed to be some of the best Pokémon. Who ever said that? They're unique Pokémon in that you can only obtain one in the entire game. This doesn't mean they have to look like one of the bests. Hey, the first generation starters were great, but there are definitely a ton of better designed Pokémon in that same generation on top of the Kanto starters. As for them looking as trash, well that's your word of opinion, so I would respect that. I'll end by saying though that the starters could have been far worse than you consider them to be now.

after all the new evolutions of old pokemon in sinnoh....

i have to say yes, cuz what was the point of evolving old pokemon?
    to me it seemed like they ran out of ideas, and just rushed a bunch of new evolutions
    and a massive overload of legendaries to try& squeeze out as much story as they could

if Isshu, turns out to be like Sinnoh, it will officially prove theyve run out of ideas, a few new evolutions are cool, eeveelutions are always awesome, but if the entire new area is old pokemon evolutions like sinnoh..... theyve run out of ideas sadly :(
    A new generation of Pokémon isn't only about creating an entirely new batch of Pokémon. Nothing stops them from taking something old and giving it something new for fans to look forward to. It doesn't mean they've run out of ideas, it just means they're reserving what they can use as something new for a later year, while they can take something old and give it something more for the new generation coming up.

If this was the case, then Pokémon would have been running out of ideas since the second generation, considering there are a few Pokémon there who got new evolutions and pre-evolutions.

As far as basing some Pokémon off of others, or sharing similar characteristics, then that's just like the world we live in today. If you take a look outside, you'll see our animals have similar characteristics to each other. It's why they're classified in families and groups. I don't think Pokémon needs to avoid that and neither does it take away from their originality or the thought of them running out of ideas.

UmbreonUniverse

ブラッキー
    Years
    Well lets look at it this way yeah sure they might be running out of a few ideas (I dont think so at all) but hey they have over 500 Pokemon what do you think that new Pokemon just come out off thin air?
    Well no they dont so they are thinking hard but the new Pokemon look awesome and for the people who dont think they look good, then lets see them do better. I think the GameFreak is just starting the Pokemon
    for all we know they already have 90 more Pokemon they just dont want to release them to the public yet! (<-------Well duh Umbre) Anyways I will still love Pokemon no matter what! Heck even when I get like 20 and stuff
    (not saying the 20 year olds cant play Pokemon) Pokemon will always be in my heart, and I want Pokemon to last in-till my children can also play pokemon (by then there will be 1,000 Pokemon)!
    ---

Translucent

You just gestured to all of me
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    I don't think it's that their running out of ideas...it's just...try and picture that new starter next to Blastoise, or the green one next to weepingbell. They don't look like their from the same thing, or look like they are part of the same world. I don't think their 'out of ideas', I think their style has changed, both in art and ideas, and some people like this change while others don't. Personally, I'm on the fence about it. I love Pokemon with a passion, and I plan on buying up every game whether I like them or not. Some pokemon i like, some I don't (Nosepass.) What I wish they WOULDN"T do, was add evolutions to the pokemon. I think that the old and new styles don't really mix very well, and I don't like seeing the new style put onto an old pokemon.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    NO, they aren't running out ideas. And like other people said, basing your opinion off of the appearance of some Pokemon, or the Plot, etc isn't really fair at all.

Like with the Bidoof and Pachirisu. Bidoof doesn't look crap or anything. Tell me, when was the last time we had a Pokemon like a Beaver or a Squirrel? But that's besides the point.

Even though I have few 'eh's about Gen V, so far. I'm really excited for it. And I think this is the best Pokemon has been since Gen II. A HUGE city like Hiun? That's gotta better than Goldenrod, Lilycove, Celadon, and Veilstone City.

And for the Pokemon part, where they get the ideas for the Pokemon etc. It's not like ALL Pokemon are based off of animals. Some are based of creature from mythology, main Japanese, Chinese, Persian, Arab, and Hebrew and Native American legends. IE: Magmar, And all the Legendary Pokemon. There are plenty of others things out that they cane get really good ideas from.

In short:

They ain't running out of ideas.

And you call urself, Pokemon fans shame on u.
    On a side-note: I do have one issue, with the starters. Don't get me wrong, they look AWESOME. But I'm just wondering where they got the ideas from? A Fire Pig? A Grass Snake? A Sea Otter?

Tsutaja, while I LOVE the way it looks, a Grass Snake? You sure? Where did get the idea for him?

Same thing with Pokabu. I'm choosing him as my starter. I LOVE HIM!!! But again, a Fire-breathing pig, interesting but really where did Game Freak come up with the idea for it?

Mijumaru, its said that its a Sea Otter Pokemon, but it looks more like a Bear, I mean Buizel and Floatzel looked WAY more like Otters than Mijumaru, it's really cute though.

Also, as much as I like the Gen V starters, I like the idea mentioned earlier of having contests of Pokemon artists posting candidate starters for the next Gen.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    "SIGH" I dont know how many times iv said this now, it must be at least a dozen. They aren't running out of ideas for the pokemon, cus they were ALL designed at once. The designers commissioned 1000 pokemon exactly for design, just in case pokemon grew to the massive size that it has, so they aren't designing new ones each year, there just updating the style a a bit, its also safe to say that pokemon will continue until either the market runs dry, or they use all 1000 designs, it which point they may well commission more designs, who knows.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    In all honesty?

Yes. Well, not completely yes, but yes. I mean, no, but yes. I mean... what?

You can look back at any generation and see its high points and low points. IN EVERY generation. It just seems that as the generations progress, the high points are less and the low points are more.

On the subject of the new starters - All I see is a Treecko variant, a medley of Tutwig and Spoink, and an ugly panda thing that vaguely resembles an otter.

I like otters.

That thing makes me weep for the sake of otters. TT^TT

I really, really didn't want to judge the entire generation on the starters. I though, let's wait, let's see what they offer us, and wait, because they might have epic evolutions. The early, common Pokémon might be good. They'll be a hell of a lot better than Bidoof. Maybe the legendaries will have an epic backstory? Maybe. Let's wait!

But seriously, GF. If you don't want me to make a snap decision, please, please, give me something that will convince me otherwise. ~♪

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    They are far from running out of ideas. Their ideas just keeps getting more and more creative by the second. Im pretty impressed from what Ive seen lately. Battle animations; how is that running out of ideas, really now? Mijumaru is one thats having me puzzled right now. I like the fact that Im puzzled about the new generation. It keeps me guessing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back