• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
  • Unoriginal is wrong. No, it's not unoriginal. In fact, the way they're making these Pokemon is far from unoriginal.

Good, no, I can't say that, they're not GOOD, per se, but they're original. I mean, an illusion fox is a lot more original than a poisonous snake.

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
    Years
  • i dont believe they are running out of ideas, an i dont believe they will anytime soon. whether you like the designs or not is entirely up to you as a person. im sure that there is more than one designer working on designing the new pokes, and they will all give slightly different takes on what a pokemon should be, and look like. sometimes it works for a person, sometimes not. for me personally, there are what i would consider poorly designed pokemon, and well desiged pokemon, and they exist in all generations for me. even back in red/bue, there were pokemon i considered poorly designed, such as Electobuzz, executtor and the machop line. gold and siver had houndour an houndoom, amogst others. Ruby and Saphire had spinda and swalot. Diamond/pearl had the godaweful Lucario that makes me die inside when i see it. yet all generations hve had good pokemon designs as well!

even in the 5 pokes we know of from gen 5 atm, i see good and bad. i like Zorua, its evolution, and the grass starter. the firepig isnt great, but the otter needs killing with fire. im sure there will be many other great designs, and some bad ones as well. its all just personal choice and what you as the person sees as "pokemon"

Years
  • I dont think they are running out of ideas, I think its actually good they are making new pokemon that are similar to older ones, because then there are more species of same pokemon, like in real life there there are a lot of different animals of one species. It would be kind of bad if every pokemon was different.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 7, 2015
    I think their main issues with designing Pokemon are the eyes and all the useless stuff they throw onto Pokemon. They're way over the top these days and most of the eyes they use are also rather evil looking...or something, not sure, but they look odd.

I understand that with the newer hardware they can add more to the designs, but sometimes they throw too much on them. I'd rather they tone down the designs a bit and keep them relatively simple. I also wish they would stop making pointless evolutions for older Pokemon. Rhyperior...really? If you're going to evolve Rhydon, don't make it look stupid.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • Let's shift around and look at another company. Squaresoft/Enix. Do you think they're running out of ideas? Obviously not, or they wouldn't have FFXIV in the pipes right now, would they? And the Final Fantasy series has been around MUCH longer than Pokémon (ok, maybe not MUCH longer, but long enough).

I'm not making a comparison between games other than the fact that there are obviously more than enough ideas to last both companies a lifetime. Chances are Pokémon isn't going to be going anywhere for a long while.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • I think that there is some fantastic fan art and ideas out there including whats underneath the spoiler of this post. I think that they should take advantage of this and hold competitions for pokemon designs and as an award you get your name in the credits of the game. For much less the fans will do much more, and I think it would really spice up the pokemon selection.

Spoiler:

I think the first and the last ideas in this picture are fantastic, but the middle fire starters are abysmal, I hate how people feel the need to 'decorate' fakemon with jewels. (It seems to be a common thing...)

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • A pig. An otter. And a lizard bird. For starters in B/W.

Uh. I seriously think the otter is 1/2 Piplup, 1/2 Seal. Really. They look terrible.

They are running out of ideas. The starters are supposed to be some of the best Pokemon o0 These ones look like runty trash.

Grass starter can't be a snake; it has LEGS. WTF?

Alrighty, lets see you make some amazing looking Pokemon that match to the ranks of awesomeness compared to Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur. Hm?

You can have your opinion, but I believe your opinion is much to stretched. Seeing as they have only released 5 Pokemon so far, you're judging it off those 5, saying that they are running out of ideas ... No. They are not. Go work for them and give them your ideas and not be lazy about it and only expect god material from them.

Uhm, the Grass Starter is a snake, yes. Perhaps you should know that snake's used to have legs in the more ancient times. The grass starter is more creative then you thought, yes? It is based off of a Sestojai Snake, which before the Renaissance times in Italy, had legs and small arms to move around. As time continued, their offspring's developed not having arms because a predator may have bitten off these arms and legs, and the children inherited it, making snakes what they are today.

So before you go criticizing them about creativity, look further into the line of where the Pokemon's origin came from. Thanks.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Ah, the age-old complaint of "they're running out of ideas!" Simultaneously my favorite and least favorite of all ridiculous claims about Pokemon. It was summed up exceptionally well earlier on in the topic (I happen to like Dunsparce though, but I digress), so really I can't say a whole lot more.

Seriously, every generation has their ups and downs, design-wise. Take a look at first-gen. How many evolutions there were just "add more heads" or "make it bigger"? Nowadays there seems to be some actual growth and change going on when Pokemon evolve. Like... Riolu to Lucario. To me, there seems to be an actual maturation from child to adult there. But a lot of people hate it because... I don't even know, apparently because it's new and that somehow automatically makes things bad.

You know, a lot of people deny it, but I am convinced that nostalgia really blinds a lot a lot of fans to the fact that the designs have expanded over the years. Face it, if Rhyperior had been there all along, you'd freaking love it. (I don't understand Rhyperior hate, by the way. It could've been spikier, but... I don't see what's so bad there.) I think the reason a lot of earlier mons got evolutions in Gen IV is because after ten years or so, fans might start to forget about the older guys, or in the case of new fans not be familiar with them at all, and so ignore them for later Pokemon. So they give evolutions to make them fresh and appealing to gamers, and you get the people who are convinced Game Freak has a personal vendetta against them and their childhood.

I don't feel like my childhood's been ruined at all. Then again, mine wasn't that great, so maybe I just have a different perspective on it. Either way, I think that all Pokemon fans really need to take a look at the TV Tropes pages for "Fan Dumb" and "Unpleasable Fanbase" because these accusations got old two generations ago.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    If anything, the Pokemon have gotten MORE original with the newer generations, and I've noticed that most of the people who disliked Gen. III and IV Pokemon disliked them not because they were too much like previous Pokemon, but because they were so DIFFERENT.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    **sigh**

I'm not going to burden any of you by repeating what the others said. All I am going to say is:
    1) 493 pkmn, yep count 'em, and over 1.5 million discovered species on Earth, just discovered there are plenty left including extinct ones and possibly new ones that come about in the future (evolution didn't stop just when homosapiens started roaming the Earth).

2) Like Waffle-san mentioned they are becoming more realistic. So many creatures on this Earth to base designs off of, and so many more with all-ready made designs that could be designed again or re-improved.

3) The evidence to back up all of my claims: https://www.currentresults.com/Environment-Facts/Plants-Animals/number-species.php

4) I'm outta here for now!

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    I think they might be running out of ideas cause I sometimes like making up my own pokemon, but I have trouble to think of ideas. Now that doesn't mean that they are running out of ideas, it is just harder to make the Pokemon look different. Take Piplup and the new water Pokemon for example, they look very similar. Also, it's going to be harder to mke up cries for the Pokemon, because if you listen very carefully, the Paras cry sounds very similar to Mewtwo's cry.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • There is one very realistic and simple answer to your question as to whether they are running out of ideas, and that answer is:

No

+1

True. Wurmple > Weedle > Caterpie All the same.
    Pidgey > Starly. You get the point. :S.

That's not GF running out of ideas. That's lazyness/sticking with a proven formula. They're all pretty much the same but some fans are comfortable knowing that they get to catch some sort of bug and bird from the start, than the more complex Pokemon can come later. And as Tomoraider put so nicely:
    I dont think they are running out of ideas, I think its actually good they are making new pokemon that are similar to older ones, because then there are more species of same pokemon, like in real life there there are a lot of different animals of one species. It would be kind of bad if every pokemon was different.

Also it's easy to pick out fan art and say how much better it is, but there's a reason for that. A reason beyond that of becoming more judgemental of regions with a smaller basis and a reason beyond pure nostalgia. I can easily go to Deviant Art and find a couple designs that I deem as amazing and show everyone else who cares to look how awesome they are. But in doing that I'd be looking over tonnes that I find uninteresting or poorly designed, the difference is, I'll never have to look at those again and I can forget them immediatly. GF does a pretty good job of making 100+ good Pokemon each generation. If you're going to use fanart as example you should also recognise all the stinkers. The fact of the matter is though, when it's unofficial, you never have to think about those stinkers again, which sometimes makes fanart seem better than it really is. =/

Wasn't hating on fan art by the way, I love fanart but it's important to be realistic.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    Well, in case you didn't notice, Pokemon designs have been mostly horrible since Gen III. Heck, there were a handful of stinkers in Gen II.

But Gen V, from what I've seen, seems to be the worst. At least the starter Pokemon were cool in Gen III and IV.

But really can you blame 'em? There's only so much creativity to be had creating cutesy Pokemon... after a few hundred monsters, the designs are bound to start getting ridiculous just to stay "fresh".

I personally think they should stop making new Pokemon for a while and just make more pronounced gender differences for the already existing Pokemon... perhaps even have different genders have different movesets.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Well, in case some people agree with me, I think Pokemon designs have been mostly horrible since Gen III. Heck, in my opinion there were a handful of stinkers in Gen II.

But Gen V, from what I've seen, seems to be the worst. At least to me the starter Pokemon were cool in Gen III and IV.

Me contradicting myself in some far off claims.

I personally think they should stop making new Pokemon for a while and just make more pronounced gender differences for the already existing Pokemon... perhaps even have different genders have different movesets.

I think that looks better now...to me at least. I personally love gen III's pokemon and think gen V could be the best yet. Their eaisly my favourite batch of starters.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Well, in case you didn't notice, Pokemon designs have been mostly horrible since Gen III. Heck, there were a handful of stinkers in Gen II.

But Gen V, from what I've seen, seems to be the worst. At least the starter Pokemon were cool in Gen III and IV.

But really can you blame 'em? There's only so much creativity to be had creating cutesy Pokemon... after a few hundred monsters, the designs are bound to start getting ridiculous just to stay "fresh".

You haven't even seen all of Gen V's pokemon, heck not even the evos of the starters so I don't see how you could say it seems to be the worst. I personally loved pokemon in Gen 3 and after. This is when the real 'creativity' started IMO. The first two gens were mainly how to say it...simpley-designed. You can take this as a good or bad thing if you want.

I think they might be running out of ideas cause I sometimes like making up my own pokemon, but I have trouble to think of ideas. Now that doesn't mean that they are running out of ideas, it is just harder to make the Pokemon look different. Take Piplup and the new water Pokemon for example, they look very similar. Also, it's going to be harder to mke up cries for the Pokemon, because if you listen very carefully, the Paras cry sounds very similar to Mewtwo's cry.

Well maybe you just aren't as creative as some of the professionals that Game Freak has working for them :P. Yeah the biggest resemblance between Mijumaru and Piplup definitely is the big head IMO, but I expect some pokemon to have resemblances--maybe they're apart of the same family of pokemon.

Cries shouldn't be that hard to make. they could always alter voices of other pokemon or even use human voices (over 6 billoin of us and all--or like 99%--have voices that sound nothing alike). If they don't do that then just take some voices from animals not used yet. I mean I see Discovery giving 'extinct' animals voices all the time in their documentaries so if they can do it Game Freak can :D

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back