• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen do you think this is the last genaration?

Nakala Pri

No. Of course not. When making so much money and pleasing so many fans, why would one stop at the height of profit? Unless they go bankrupt or something, which is highly unlikely, by the way.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    While I do not think this is the last generation - nor do I think they will ever intend there to be a "last generation". If Pokemon ends, it'll be because it stops selling. They're not going to choose to end it.

However, one thing that I do think will stop happening in a few generations is that they'll stop releasing new Pokemon with new generations. They'll make new regions, new regional dexes, to bring together Pokemon that have never been available together, new moves, new abilities, etc... But they simply won't introduce any more new Pokemon.

This'll probably happen gradually. Like, maybe Gen VII only introduces ~50 Pokemon, Gen VIII introduces ~30, and IX introduces none?

Let me emphasize - I do not think this because I believe they are running out of ideas. It is very obvious that they're not, and, even if they were, they could simply hire new people to make new ideas. I think this because, honestly, we have so many Pokemon already, that within a couple more generations of evolutions and new lines, there's not going to be any radically new roles to fill.

There simply won't be a need for any new Pokemon, because any potential role will be filled by an existing Pokemon that already fills it better.

Don't think I can agree with that at all. The main attraction of new generations is the Pokemon themselves, everything else is more or less second. These games wouldn't sell, at least not nearly as well as the current games do. It just wouldn't be a smart business move to do this. If anything, they'll maybe start reducing the amount of creatures for each generation, but I absolutely can't see them stopping completely. I do understand where you're going with this though, but in comparison to introducing new creatures (along with regions, moves, abilities, etc...) to simply introducing new games with only new regions and moves, etc... it'll never sale nearly as much. It's just not a sound idea for them, both in a creative and business aspect.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I highly doubt this will be the last, it prints money for them. ;)

do you think this is the last genaration?

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Gen 6 is a new era of Pokemon and GF never seems to run out of ideas and really doesn't have a reason to stop. The games are still VERY successful and they know that whatever they come up with people will buy and enjoy. People thought gen 4 would be the last and people will assume that with this gen, but until GF just hits rock bottom I don't see Pokemon ending anytime soon.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
    Oh my god that sun and moon idea sounds awesome. The sun myths are more in Japan(Shinto religion) but who cares. And to stay on topic if Kalos is the last game(Which is highly unlikely) then I guess GF makes us want to forget about Hoenn.:P

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    When we get to the Final Fantasy 13 equivalent of Pokemon...then we will start panicking. We haven't gotten there yet tho so relax.

(The anime on the other hand...ugggg...that should have died a long time ago...)

Years
    no, well i hope not.
    though they are running out of ideas, i mean cotton candy pokemon
    They're not running out of ideas. Don't forget muk, voltorb, and gastly.

When we get to the Final Fantasy 13 equivalent of Pokemon...then we will start panicking. We haven't gotten there yet tho so relax.

(The anime on the other hand...ugggg...that should have died a long time ago...)
    FF 13-2 was great ._. i mean have you seeeeeeeeeennnnn lightning? ;D lol

Also i don't think this will be the last generation. Nintendo could continue to milk money from fans for years and i'd be one of those cows. ._.

Last edited:

EJ Nero

Water forever
    Years
    Nintendo & Game Freak will milk out Pokémon for as long as they can. Don't be surprised if we have as many as 10 generations or more. And heck I won't be complaining.

I do think though that there will need to be a massive change in the game sooner or later. Starting out in a town, collecting badges, battling an evil team, and going to the Pokémon league is getting tiring. Considering how X & Y aren't even out yet there may be massive changes in gameplay this generation. X & Y may be the beginning of what could be many more fun generations of Pokémon.

And addressing the issue of running out of ideas, I highly doubt it. There are millions of species of animals on our planet, and countless other ideas that could be used (think perhaps a cubacabra pokémon, etc)...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I highly doubt it. This would've been the last generation if GameFreak had announced it to be that way, but they didn't.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
    of course not! there's other... i think theres an other pokemon that can be more mysterious then Arceus... and stronger then Mewtwo...

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    In a world with so much biodiversity and so many cultures with so many myths, I don't see how they can just run out of ideas. Not to mention that Pokémon don't necessarily have to be based on living things.
    They might slow the rate at which new generations are released and only release a generation when they start to get low profit and the franchise needs to be 'refreshed'. Well, this is probably what they're doing already, but I think that generations could perfectly last longer if they focused more on other aspects of the games, like the storyline, the graphics, or even new and improved regions (mainly the storyline imo).

Skalla

Drama Queen
    Years
    Is this even a question? Pokemon is Nintendo's second biggest moneymaker, and since it still sells like hotcakes I don't think it'l end any time soon.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    Well, with the recent silhouette that has been released by Gamefreak and is noted that something is going to be "reborn", and the fact that the url contains a trademark registered by Gamefreak last year, this may be the last Pokemon game. However Gamefreak may be planning a new series of games.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I don't see how that silhouette has anything to do with pokemon ending. Do you honestly thinking they are going to stop pokemon for a new game that may and may not be liked? It makes little since why they would do something like that. They can just add a new game series instead of canceling the 2nd most popular series they make.

Years
    I can't see this being the last gen, I'm pretty sure that we have many more to come!!!

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Hopefully not, it would be the end of the world if it was.

However, I could understand why they could discontinue the series though, its hard to come out with original designs of Pokemon now, and the gameplay is a little bit repetitive (unfortunately)

Nevertheless, lets hope for the best!

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
    I highly doubt it (and I hope it's nowhere near the end).

People claim that they are running out of ideas but I think that they are getting more creative with their Pokemon and they are always adding more and more things to the gameplay (I'm super excited for sky battles and hoards!!!!). We finally have a full 3D RPG game for a handheld console and I really doubt they will stop there. I think as long as they are making new systems and technology continues to grow, Pokemon will still be around. There are still so many animals and other things they can base Pokemon off of. There's so much more room to grow and expand. And since it also seems they are trying to base Pokemon in more areas of the real world, I don't see how they would stop at Gen VI. I just don't see it ending anytime soon.

I'm totally okay with that.

Back