• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use your starter?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • depends on the game. i almost always use my starter in gen 1, 2, 3, and 7. not so much the case for the others, especially gen 4 and 5. for as many times as i've played each gen 5 game, i think i've only played using a starter only three times, one for each starter.

malanaphii

i'm about to monologue, son
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2023
    i always keep my starter (unless i'm doing a challenge that requires a certain team)

Sun Fin

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I kinda feel like an asshole if I box my starter early so I use it throughout the whole game and I only box them if it's for a post-game team I'm planning.

^^^ This.

While I plan my main game team with my starter only Charizard and Empoleon have ever survived being on my teams in the post game content!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I almost always use a starter during my first run of a generation. The only time i didn't was BW when there was a Pokemon of each type that i really wanted to use instead. Then for replays it depends on if my doing a casual run or challenge run. Not as often during challenge runs but moreso during casual runs.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2019
    I almost always use a starter during my first run of a generation. The only time i didn't was BW when there was a Pokemon of each type that i really wanted to use instead. Then for replays it depends on if my doing a casual run or challenge run. Not as often during challenge runs but moreso during casual runs.

Yeah, it's exactly the same. I was using Grass starter in BW but then I got Virizion and just... it was better. Other than that, I usually run every game with every starter and then I stop using them

Years
  • I use fire-type as my starter Pokemon, they are known to be extremely powerful and get defeat opponent very fast and strong at very pace.

(sorry for my poor English)

~Z~

Banned
    Years
  • I usually don't. When I do I tend to only care about him and forget there's other Pokémons out there in the tall grass

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2019
    I will go through with the water and grass starters once. After the second playthrough, I will consider replacing it if I prefer another mon in the region. However, if I ever find another copy of DPPt - regretfully I sold mine to Gamestop - I don't think I would replace Chimchar due to the lack of fire types. Right now, I'm replaying Alpha Sapphire and might drop Treecko for a Lotad. Or both. Both are good.

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
    Years
  • I always use my starter all the way through. The only case in which I wouldn't is if I'm doing a monotype that doesn't match any of the starters' types.

Aldo

Survivalist
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I only do on my first runs, and when I want to choose a different starter.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • I used to always pick water starters.
    And always went through the entire game with them.

But, my recently kindled love for Poliwhirl has changed that, alot.

Back